Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife laws in Denmark and the Netherlands

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Knife laws in Denmark and the Netherlands
on: September 21, 2010, 06:19:38 PM
In October I am going on a short river cruise with my mum to Amsterdam and Arnhem, and later that month I might go on a day trip over to Denmark. I don't know anything about the knife laws in Denmark or the Netherlands, and it might be wise to know what I can take with me and what I should leave at home  :ahhh

I tried to google a little bit, but I just found that fixed knifes are not allowed in the Netherlands, and in Denmark fixed knifes must be under 12 cm and folding knifes under 7 cm blade length. But all information came from forum threads, and were quite old.

It would be great if a forum member from there could put together the important points regarding knifes for me (and anyone else going to visit these countries). Thanks!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Knife laws in Denmark and the Netherlands
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:28:45 PM
You're not allowed to carry the following in Denmark: Folders with locks, One-hand opening folders and the blade must not be longer than 7cm...
You don't carry a fixed blade here unless you have a good reason Job, hunting ect.

But carrying a 91mm SAK and or a Kick won't get you in trouble..  :) (but let them stay home on a night in town though)  ;) 

nl Offline jan.

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:46:09 PM
In the Dutch law are only forbidden the automatic knives longer than 7 cm  when the blade is smaller than 14 mm.
If the blade of an automatic knife wider than 14 mm , than is forbidden longer than 9 cm.
Forbidden are knives with double edges to.
Also forbidden folder knives open longer than 28 cm.
All the other knives are free to buy and carry.

But there is write also in the law that  everything that can use as an wapen is forbidden in some circumstance,
like a screwdriver, wooden stick, bikechain, and also knives.
In public places you can not carry a knife or othor tools that can used as a wapen.

When you can not give a good reasen why you carry this things, you have a problem, because not every
police man knows the wapen laws.

But the most important you have to know is; there are city-laws to, and in these laws are written that
all knives are forbidden in the most city- centres.
Also  Amsterdam has this city-law.
You can not carry any knife in the centre of Amsterdam, even a stanley knife or keychain knife is forbidden there.
There is a big knife shop in the centre and you can buy there free every knife, even a machette or other big knives.
But put away it in good pakkage under in your bag and keep the buy-ticket with you. No problems.

So, no knife in Amsterdam. Not in your car to.
Do you go camping,or walk in the woods all the legal knives are free to carry.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:41 PM
Thanks, Jan and AHB  :tu:

Especially the thing about the city laws is really interesting. I guess I will bring only a SAK on this trip and will leave it on the hotel boat for the day  :( But maybe I can visit that knife shop  :D I have to do a boat sightseeing tour with my mother, but after that I guess she will be tired (she has a very ill heart) and I can do whatever I want to for the rest of the day.

Denmark will not be a big problem. We will be out in the woods, geocaching and photographing. IF we go at all, we will be spending our holidays in Schleswig-Holstein (north Germany) and already have lots of things planned...

nl Offline jan.

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:10:10 PM
That knife shop is named "the old man".
Damstraat 14-16. Near the Dam in the centre.
Not cheap, internet US is much cheaper but nice to visit, if you like shopping, this is near the shopping streets.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:16:31 PM
Thanks! I looked it up on google maps, should be easy to find  :tu: Maybe I can get a souvenir for me  ;)

Offline Lasse Eskildsen

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:51:26 PM
We're awesome here in denmark  :ahhh except for our knife laws ofcourse  :cry:
Last week I was in Soenderborg in Jylland with the school and we where a trip over the border to germany  :tu:

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:37 AM
Another question, would it be OK to carry a Gerber Shard in Amsterdam? No blade, no sharp edges. Just a small screwdriver, bottle opener, small prybar. I would feel not so naked if I have a little tool on me  :ahhh

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 10:42:06 AM
Another question, would it be OK to carry a Gerber Shard in Amsterdam? No blade, no sharp edges. Just a small screwdriver, bottle opener, small prybar. I would feel not so naked if I have a little tool on me  :ahhh

That would be OK :) No sharp edges :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline fb

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:59:10 AM
In general: you are not allowed to carry anything that looks like or could be used as a weapon. This includes plastic look-a-likes. If you are planning a trip to Belgium please do not buy one of those plastic toy paintball guns, these are strictly forbidden in Holland!

I never heard that carrying a "normal" SAK was a problem, but as said before in high risk area's (Amsterdam) the local laws can be more strict. In general: if you act as a "normal" tourist and not a potential Al Qaida terrorist there should be no problem.

Another strange thing in Dutch law is that it is legal to sell illegal stuff. E.g. it is fully legal to sell a speed radar detector, but you cannot have one in your car ....

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:03:55 PM
That would be OK :) No sharp edges :)

But... if a police officer does not like you and thinks you will use it as a weapon... then you could have a problem :(
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:04 PM
Unless life there is completely crazy, carry it and you will be fine.  In the end of the day you are carrying a smooth edged piece of metal - a bloody key could do more damage!

Lets not lose our grip on reality here folks.  I am all for looking into law and staying safe, but it can get too OTT on here at times.  Just don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.  :tu:
I'm back!!

Offline fb

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 01:04:02 PM
Just don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.  :tu:
Exactly: Don't go to the Rijksmuseum to see Rembrandt's Nachtwacht with any sort of knive. Don't go into a fight. Don't point a pistol-shaped cigarette lighter at someone.

But: In Holland we have a sort of "safety-officers". A sort of wannabee police officers. They are not allowed to carry a gun etc, but they can give you fines. These "officers" can't get any other job because lack of any skill whatsoever. They are very proud they are allowed to wear a uniform and that they can tell you what to do and what not to do (even if they are legaly not allowed to do). This can include a full body search if you drop a piece of paper on the boardwalk ....

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 01:21:48 PM
Just don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.  :tu:
Exactly: Don't go to the Rijksmuseum to see Rembrandt's Nachtwacht with any sort of knive. Don't go into a fight. Don't point a pistol-shaped cigarette lighter at someone.

But: In Holland we have a sort of "safety-officers". A sort of wannabee police officers. They are not allowed to carry a gun etc, but they can give you fines. These "officers" can't get any other job because lack of any skill whatsoever. They are very proud they are allowed to wear a uniform and that they can tell you what to do and what not to do (even if they are legaly not allowed to do). This can include a full body search if you drop a piece of paper on the boardwalk ....
And I thought it was bad here in Denmark..  :o :o
But we do have safety-zones around bar/clubs in major cities, where there's zero tolerance for any kind of knives..

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 09:21:12 AM
I am a little bit worried about that because I am planning to search a geocache or two. Nothing illegal, but it could look strange or suspicious (you never know if someone is behind a window watching while you are searching) and it happened to me three times in Germany that I was asked by the police what I was doing. This was never a problem, I explained and it was OK, but you never know if they want to see what's in your pockets, especially if you are a stranger and can't speak their language...

I would prefer to go into a forest for geocaching, but there is no time for that. And you can find great places in cities with geocaches you would never find as a tourist.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 10:18:13 AM
What exactly are you worried about?  It being classified as an offensive weapon?
I'm back!!

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:33:36 AM
I just want to know what my rights are, if I should get in contact with any of these "officers". I am not allowed to carry a knife, so I won't bring one. I will carry a shard as I am pretty sure that I can carry it. It's a simple tool that could be useful to me. It's a strange, complicated world over here, and in most cases everything is alright. But you never know, and at least you should know a little bit about your rights.
In the end I am a guest over here, and I expect to be treated as one, but I also should behave as one and respect their laws...

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:38:49 AM
That is fair enough, I'm just curious what people can see this being classified as?  A knife? - obviously not, Offensive weapon? - obviously not, Breaking and entering tool? - well that would be a joke wouldn't it, a ninja star mybe?  :D  So what is the worry?  Like I said, if you are worried about this you should worry about your keys as well.
I'm back!!

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 10:40:50 AM
Like I said, if you are worried about this you should worry about your keys as well.
I was thinking the same just a few minutes ago... if anyone would think this is dangerous, my keys are as well, or even more... :ahhh

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:57:11 AM
I guess I (possibly incorrectly) would not even give a second thought to a Shard as I can't see any possible issue with one. To me it's like asking the legality of carrying a mobile phone - it's just a given that it's fine, but that is just me.  :)

Being sensible and questioning is always a good idea  :tu:, but remember that just because something has the name "tool" linked to it that you don't always need to necessarily worry about it.  Although I like these threads, they do cause unnecessary worry at times so I do try and bring people back to reality when I can (I am not just picking on this thread).  Lets face it, if we didn't have this site or others like it, I expect many of us wouldn't even question the stuff we carry.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD