Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

March Break Project (Model Train Build)

Chako · 117 · 13827

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
March Break Project (Model Train Build)
on: March 14, 2011, 03:24:36 PM
I have a week to see how far I can get into building my N scale train diorama. I bought a Woodland Scenics  "Scenic Ridge" kit and am now starting the build because I now have some free time.  :D

So far, I have only managed to glue together the base boards and the subterranean track underlay. The tracks will fit over these foam pieces...allowing me to make valleys lower then the tracks. This whole thing will be 3'x6'. My next task will be to fit foam bridges over the underpass, and then to start plaster cloth covering the inside of the tunnel. I am going to be taking my time on this project which has been in the planning stage for well over 4 months now. That is about how long it has taken me to accrue the buildings, vehicles, and people.

Time for a few photographs.

Here you can see part of the underlay glued and ready to go. The tacks and track bed will go on top of the underlay.

Here are my villagers. I have around 100 of them now...and they are awfully small at N scale.

I had to have a place to store these items, so I have a temporary table set up in the living room. The houses are mostly N scale Tomytec buildings with a few extras added here and there. This layout won't match the final layout.

I think I will update this thread as I go.  :salute:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:31:05 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: March Break Project (Model Train Build)
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:10:28 PM
Ooooohhh nice!!! :drool:

This is going to be a very cool project.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:41:37 PM
I hope so. Can't wait to get into the real fun stuff which is the finishing of the landscape...but I am so far away from that right now.

Incidentally, even though I thought I had everything, I am off later today to get a list of supporting items I will need to continue with some of the later steps.

I am also waiting on two special items that will finish off the build once I get there. I won a DCC sound enabled Diesel engine off of eBay late last week, and I bought a Bachmann Dynamis DCC controller that will enable all the sound features of the train engine.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:44:26 PM by Chako »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:02:44 PM
so jealous of march break... we haven't got a break until easter...  :ahhh
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:28:57 PM
looks good

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:44:24 PM
what's the best bit of this hobby for you chako?
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:35:43 PM
This is just one of many hobbies I am involved in. However, it has been a very long ambition of mine to make a diorama for a train set. When I was a kid, I had a train set that my father bought me. I was too young, and I strongly suspect he bought it for himself more than anything else. He mounted it on a piece of plywood and that was that. This bucket list project combines my long abiding fascination with miniatures, model making, and trains into one piece.

So what is the best bit of this hobby for me? Just having fun would have to be it.  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:05 PM
I just finished plaster cloth coating the inside of the mountain, and am waiting for that to dry. The next step is to glue the track bed, track, and ballast down. Guess these areas will be very hard to reach later on.  :D

I took these about half way done.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:22:49 AM
What exactly do you mean by "diorama?" Are you thinking about a fixed or portable operating display of some sort? :)

When I was younger, I always wanted to do a glass-topped coffee table layout. :dd:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:23:02 AM
Fixed upstairs on a portable folding table which now resides temporarily in my living room. I reckon it will be light and easily transported once done...but at 3'x6', not exactly portable.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:59 AM
My son absolutely loves the old live action Thomas the Train shows, and it has got me thinking about building a set like that for him for later on. 

I really just wanted to subscribe to this thread because it looks like it's gonna be awesome!  Thanks Chako for always documenting your adventures so well!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:05 PM
Not sure if it will be awesome. I am certain it will be a learning experience for me however, as this is my first time building something like this.

Anyways, I came across a dilemma last night. I realized I had to build the complete track to see where I stood. You see, the instructions tell me to build the track section inside the tunnels. I thought I could get away with just following the instructions...but alas, you cannot trust everything you read. I had bought the Atlas track pack made specifically for this layout. I found out the instructions and the track pieces deviated from what the Kit instructions stated from Woodland Scenics. I figured ok...no problems. Well, this morning I got cold feet and decided to bite the bullet and just build the whole track to see if all is as it should be. Good thing I spent an hour and a half building the track. I found that both instructions were wrong. I switched a few track pieced around and it now fits a lot better now.

On a flip side, Atlas tracks come with the metal connector pieces connected in strips of 4. This means you have to move them side to side to cause metal fatigue which eventually breaks them apart. If I see another Atlas track connector anytime soon, I shall scream.

On a positive note, I now have one of my steam Bachmann train engines running and testing the track. I had to remove a few pieced of track to jury rig a Bachmann EZ track with power connector to power the rails. Everything seems to run fine. Now I have to break it all apart and continue building that track tunnel inside and walls. That is my job for today. Not sure if I will get it done in the time frame I have allotted myself...but that is my goal.

Here are some photos.

Yes, I have used my motorcycle kit Leatherman MUT in the build. I have found the saw and knife blade to be useful.

And here is the whole track layout...well as much as I could get into the plane of view. I stopped the train just in case you were wondering.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:55:17 PM by Chako »

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 10:42:38 PM
take another pic with the fish eye ;)
I

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 11:27:47 PM
This is very cool and you are such a big kid! :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:07 PM
<--- Trying very hard at not growing up anymore then I have to.  :D   :rofl:

Anyhow, its update time.

Not much progress I fear. Everything is taking a little longer than anticipated, especially foam tack glue drying time. But just to show you that there is some progress here are a couple more photographs.

Well I now have the internal tunnel walls complete along with the foam tunnel portals glued in place. Here, you can see the foam portals, and one of the plaster detailed pieces that still needs to be coloured and glued into place...but that will be much later.

The next step is to start putting on the edge boards. That big back piece  consists of 5 boards. I still need to cut an inch off of the right most piece. The back boards aren't glued in place yet. After I dry fit them as in the photo, I get to make the sides and front board profiles as well. After those have been cut and dry fitted in place, I have to cut paper profiles and then trace them onto those boards and cut them to shape. Once that is done, I get to make the tunnel ceilings and then the real fun part of making newspaper wads which will then get plaster cloth coated to make the mountains. This is taking quite some time to do...and I must admit, I am getting my money's worth of fun out of doing this.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 07:08:20 PM
i hope you hand carved the tunnel portals ;) looking good
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 05:55:20 PM
No. They come pre-made. It would take me forever to do that sort of detail.

Update time.

I just finished installing the edge boards. I started off by fitting them in place. Then I cut out the paper templates last night while watching TV. This morning, I glued the edge boards together and then to the base. I then placed my paper templates onto the walls, and traced them using a pencil. The next step was to use my new fancy wire foam cutter. This was money well spent. It heats a nichrome wire which goes through the foam like it does not exist. I used this foam wire cutter to make my profile. Afterwards, I used an Exacto knife with a long blade to cut out the access ports in the back (The Leatherman MUT's saw does make a mess of Styrofoam). These will allow access to the track inside to fix any problems that might happen inside the mountain.

My next step after all of this is to make foam tunnel ceilings...and then the fun part of newspaper bundles and then plaster cloth over that to make the mountain.

Here are the photos.

The edge boards are now glued to each other and the base.

Next is to trace the paper template.

Is it wrong that I love my hot wire foam cutter so much? The tool made a tough job supper easy. Here you can see that I have finished using it, and have cut out two of the 3 tunnel access portals.

Onto the next step I guess...but I need a little break.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:51 PM
Wow, I didn't know there were going to be such large mountains! :) Looks like you're well on your way to an N-scale Gorre and Daphetid :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 10:57:26 PM
Tell me about it. I was a little surprised at how high that corner mountain will be.

Well, looks like my next step might be to paint some burnt umber in the visible parts of those tunnels. I still haven't placed ballast in those locations yet either. I think it might be wise to eliminate as much of that white right now while I can.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 06:34:32 PM
That is going to be awesome.
Godd work Chako!
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 09:35:08 PM
Well not much time to work on the display due to work...however, this hasn't stopped me from buying a few more items for the build. This means that I will have to wait a few more weeks to know exactly what I am going to do as far as the town layout will be. I did buy a few wide track kits, controller, and motorized Tomix articulated tram.  The idea is to somehow have a tram system incorporated into the town along with the train rail system.  I am thinking a tram system from the train station into town and back again. This will be on a separate mini N scale rail system. I did receive my Bachmann Dynamis DCC system, but no DCC enabled engines yet to try it out.

So this is the plan.
1. Two trains, one a freight train with a Kato Sound enabled DCC engine. The other is a Bachmann Amtrak Acela that is also DCC enabled... with no sound...but it does feature lighted cars. Not sure if this will work with my current track layout. If it doesn't, I have plans for it regardless. In that even, I will have to get another DCC enabled train engine...but I will cross that bridge if and when I get there.
2. A tram system to freight people to and from the town.
3. Seeing that the village is mostly made up of Japanese Tomytec buildings, I am thinking of going with that theme, even though the trains are North American. I bought a few more buildings, a train shed, and a few Japanese vendor stalls and sidewalk scenes from Tomytec.  Guess I am not going with a 100% realistic set up, but it should prove interesting nonetheless.

Tomorrow should see me getting a few more things done on the display.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 05:50:29 PM
I finally got to adding some ballast at those tunnel entrances. I even added some scenic cement to the ballast between the ties. If this part doesn't look all that good once the display is finished, I can always get in there at a later date.  So with that said, the tunnels are now finally completed. I just finished gluing the tunnel roofs into place. This part does not need to look good as it won't be seen later.

Here you can see the ballast added to the tunnel entryways. I paid attention to the center of the track, figuring I can add more to the outside later on.

Yay! the tunnel roof is now finally installed. I had hoped to be at this stage a week ago while I was still on vacation.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 08:33:33 PM
I won't be able to do anything now until a few more things come in.  :think:

I did migrate the buildings I currently have to see how they will fit onto the display. I now have to wait for that tram system and other building items to come in before I can plaster cloth everything.

Anyways, here is a test shot of the village area. Nothing is set in stone yet. So much for getting this done anytime soon.  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:41 PM
Is it too late to consider a stream, with perhaps a waterfall coming off one of the hills? :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 09:57:01 PM
There will be some sort of small stream coming down that mountain. That low spot in the front will also feature two culverts that came with the kit. I did buy special waterfall scenic glue for just that purpose.  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 05:05:33 PM
Update time.

Not a whole lot to report on the build. Right now waiting on several key pieces. A few little items did come in this week but nothing major. But alas all is not good.

1. I bought a sound enabled diesel from Australia and it hasn't arrived. I checked eBay and found that the seller is no longer registered on eBay. I am going to give it a few more days and see what happens next. I am hoping beyond hope that it was sent to me and is on its way. I somehow have my doubts though. I may have to open a dispute claim if it doesn't arrive soon. :(

2. I received my Bachmann Amtrak Acela model and quickly found out that it doesn't run on tight curves. It is a beautiful train and I did buy 3 extra business cars for it. When I attempted to use the track that it does come in, it was too wide for my display table...so I set it up on the floor. The details are fantastic and DCC is definitely the way to go. You get a much smoother power band transition from DC. I guess that is one of the benefits of AC. On the plus side, I can at least try out the Bachmann Dynamis DCC controller. It works like a charm, and the cordless design is great. The train just won't fit on my display however.

3. I am still waiting for the Tomix tram track and Tram.

4. I also just purchased this morning a Tokyo Tomix Bus system. It is a rechargeable N scale bus that runs along special roadbed with a metal wire imbedded inside. The bus follows the wire via a small magnet. The bus system also comes with a bus station that the bus stops at and then continued on its way in a loop. More curious then anything else...and if I can incorporate this into the display along with that tram, it should give me some much needed movement and possibly interest in the final product.

Still unsure how both the tram and bus system will work on the display. I will need to get them first before I can do much more on the build in terms of the building area. The DCC sound enabled Diesel is my biggest concern right now, as a lot was planned around it. The Acela doesn't like tight track curves combined with the inability of the Dynamis DCC controller system in operating the regular DC engines, means I may be buying DCC enabled engines in the near future.

If all goes as planned, I should have a few more photos in here tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:08:59 PM by Chako »

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 08:25:23 PM
ive been working on full sized steam engines today at the bluebell railway, now covered in soot  :rofl:

good fun though
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 03:21:15 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun ryan1835.

Well not much to report other than a few pieces have come in. I haven't had a chance to do anything on the build until a few more key pieces come in. Then I will have to figure out how to integrate what I want before I can proceed any further.

In the mean time, here are a few photographs...

Here is the pride of my display. This is a Kato Sound enabled DCC EMD E8/9A. It has engine noise and all.

The tram just came in today. It is a Tomytec  Tetsudou low floor articulated tram. Interestingly enough, these units come as a static display with fixed plastic wheels molded into a removable floorboard with molded seats. The neat part is that you can also buy a motor unit for them. Apparently there are a series of motor units that fit corresponding body shells. Simply pry off the shell and place it onto the motorized unit and you have a working tram.

Here, you can see the cheap plastic floorboard with the plastic static display track and articulated tram on its motorized base.

The articulated tram is a little larger than I expected. I have a few N scale static trams from another manufacturer, and the newer articulated tram design is a larger unit then these.

Here is the separate motorized base unit along with part of the upper tram shell.

Today, some of the tram track also came in. Unfortunately, I still do not have the tram control battery pack. I understand these tram systems run on 100 Volts and not 110. The tram track is called wide track and it is from Tomix. This track simulates tram rails imbedded in concrete.

Here is the articulated tram on the tracks.

I was thinking of making a party scene or special event scene. I have bought several Japanese Tomytec food vendors.

Here are two Japanese street scenes from Tomytec glued together.

Still waiting for the tram controller and a few more pieces of track, along with the tomytec bus stop system. I understand it is designed to connect with the tram tracks. Once I get that in, I should be ready to go.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:29:58 AM by Chako »

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:29 PM
just call me ryan, today i went back and we were removing the super heater elements from an engine very messy job and hard everything had baked tight so we had to heat everything up with propane before it would budge!

your model railways coming along nicely
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 06:31:25 PM
Easter Monday is a good time to do a little more on the project. I still don't have all the pieces, however, I can't wait forever. With the nice weather hopefully around the corner, the call of the motorcycle will become a greater force. That and I have a friend who is competing with me in a friendly fashion. His layout is an HO scale, and it is big. We have egged each other on all winter, and I fear he might be winning...so I am going to try and do as much as I can today.

Time to continue my step by step illustrations...

I finally got around to cutting the last flat pieced for the village and factory. Before I install all of the pre-fitted foam pieces, I have to glue down the support pillars.

Now that all of the flat pieces are now glued, the next step is a bit time consuming. I have spent a few hours folding newspaper to act as a support for the plaster cloth covering.

Yay, this part is done! Only 5 newspapers had to be used. I am going to take a break, and then comes the real fun and messy step, plaster cloth covering of everything.

I find it a little ironic and amusing to think that this was the step I thought I would be back in March as I was going back to work from my holidays. I had it right, only wrong holiday. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24