Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A "How-To" for basic full-size Leatherman tool Mods.

Mauvais · 21 · 41296

00 Offline Mauvais

• l'âme de lame
Taking a glimpse at the A "how-to" for basic SAK mods. Pic heavy  I wondered if we could pic the main-brains in here to teach us step-by-step how to modify our beloved full-size Leatherman tools. From the very beggining 'till the last drop of loctite! ::) I know it may be too much to ask, but I believe that at least one mod-freak will answer this quest! :cheers:

Things like pictures of the screws heads wich should be screwed, how to disassemble/reassemble the tool, tips to make the life of the newbies easier, best tools for each job, how to lose the loctite without mess up with the heat treatment, where and how to apply the loctite etc. Everything with lots of pics!!!!  :drool:

Can it be done? (Is this topic in the right place?) ??? :ahhh

:gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Re: A "How-To" for basic full-size Leatherman tool Mods.
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:33:43 PM
I agree.
This will be a good start or inspiration for those who have an idea but could not get the courage to start.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:32:44 AM
+1   where is gareth when you need him?  lol
Quality Control
Materials
Design

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:59 PM
Gareth does far less MT mods than you might think. :D  In seriousness I'm not sure I'm the best chap for this job, there are other guys better set up for this.  One tip I can give is that the pivots on the PST's, Kick Fuse etc all seem to be loaded the same way.  Like this:

So when you undo the fasteners you hold part 'A' still and turn part 'B'.  Hope that helps. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:40:39 PM
Here is a step by step mod with pics I did a long time ago. Not really anything big though.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4579.msg74522.html#msg74522
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 03:06:11 AM
Here is a step by step mod with pics I did a long time ago. Not really anything big though.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4579.msg74522.html#msg74522

I remember that one Prime :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline Mauvais

• l'âme de lame
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:15:09 AM
I got it. To upload photos it's a beach. So... I'll post a few and a mod-ninjas teach us. Right, right?  :tu:

First step: parts that should be turned and part that should not.

:pok: anyone
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:19:01 AM by Mauvais »

it Offline ciccio90

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 09:35:28 PM
what is the name of these screw? why LM utilize it? to prevent an disassembly of the tools for the warranty or other motivation?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Re: A "How-To" for basic full-size Leatherman tool Mods.
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 12:28:48 AM
what is the name of these screw? why LM utilize it? to prevent an disassembly of the tools for the warranty or other motivation?

What screws? Leatherman uses a lot of different ones. The wave has the t10 safety torx. The skeletoot has a normal t8, the ps4 (the first one) has t6. The pst is a whole different story. What is interesting is that you can't use the leatherman bit kit on any of them :D . You can do a swap off the blades of the freestyle/skeletool 154cm and the wave with a bit of grinding. I helped with a mode like that once. So if you want a better steel on your wave blade, it's possible. I'll post pics of it later if someone is interested, have to find them first.

Sent via Tapatalk, sorry for the spelling.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 05:25:16 AM
Well you will need some security Torx bits like these

You can get security bits from most big hardware stores or Ebay. That is the easy part , pulling a part a Leatherman Wave/Charge or Surge is no simple thing though , lots of small parts & washers  :ahhh :ahhh.

Bob's photo from this thread ------> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2200.0.html

The earlier Leatherman MT's certainly are easier to work on, once you get those pesky knurled fasteners off.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

it Offline ciccio90

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:53 PM
Well you will need some security Torx bits like these
(Image removed from quote.)
You can get security bits from most big hardware stores or Ebay. That is the easy part , pulling a part a Leatherman Wave/Charge or Surge is no simple thing though , lots of small parts & washers  :ahhh :ahhh.

Bob's photo from this thread ------> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2200.0.html

The earlier Leatherman MT's certainly are easier to work on, once you get those pesky knurled fasteners off.

Thank you very much!

it Offline ciccio90

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 05:01:28 PM
after my mods in the surge where i apply an drill bit for wood, (for turn out to be useful in "buschcraft"), and the univesal bit kit that i just have in my tools box, now i want apply in the same way in the screwdriver, an chuck drill, to tightening any tools that i want such as various others bit, or wrench.....in definitively a chuck drill that allow to me mount any attachment...i hope that i was clear in my explanation...!
a drill chuck sach this: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/208765655/mini_drill_chuck.jpg

http://toolmonger.com/2008/09/29/chuck-micro-drill-bits/

http://www.cmlsupply.com/mini-keyless-chuck-1-4-shank-for-micro-drill-bits.html

this is perfect for what i want do, after an simply mod to put in the place of screwdriver....and fits any tools....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:24:52 PM by ciccio90 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 06:16:55 PM
If i understand you correctly, you would like to put that Chuck 1/4" Shank (never knew they existed, now I NEED one) on your Surge. You could grind the bit down to fit in the big bit driver, no modding of the Surge needed. I did something similar a wile back. I had loads of this adapters around so I played a bit. Works great.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:19:19 PM by enki_ck »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:23:32 PM
If i understand you correctly, you would like to put that Chuck 1/4" Shank (never knew they existed, now I NEED one) on your Surge. You could grind the bit down to fit in the big bit driver, no modding of the Surge needed. I did something similar a wile back. I had loads of this adapters around so I played a bit. Works great.

ive done lots of these mods and they work great plus open your options on bits  :tu:

it Offline ciccio90

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 06:25:13 PM
yes, i have just do the "bit extender" in the same way that you have do , now i want fit chuck 1/4 shank to fit any other tools....however if i want fit the chuck drill i must do the seem mod for the bit extender.....i have found various small chuck drill on ebay....

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 08:32:47 PM
Now this is an excellent idea.
My Surge will need this as well.
I am going to browse for something like it.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

it Offline ciccio90

Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:31 PM
this is my surge with his tools end the rest of my edc!
SAM_0376.JPG
* SAM_0376.JPG (Filesize: 114 KB)

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 12:18:11 AM
I am thinking there are so many models to dissasemble, assemble, mod and unmod, it's hard to start.

It would even be useful to go and make a separate thread for each model...or at last series (Wave, Charge, Surge, Kick/Fuse/Blast...) I would be happy to do a Wave/Charge (TTi)/Surge tutorials of how to take them apart.

As for mods, it's hard to really show them because mostly it involves making new parts, altering/grinding existing parts or remove them all together. There are separate threads (at least I try to make separate ones) for that kind of work.

Who wants to be learned?!!!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 05:30:54 PM
Security torx is a joke. I just pop the little pin out of the star with a micro screwdriver and use a regular torx driver. Sometimes it even irks me that I have to dig one of those out so I get the Dremel and cut a slot for a flat driver. Then they can be taken apart with a SAK like everything should.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:33 PM
Security torx is a joke. I just pop the little pin out of the star with a micro screwdriver and use a regular torx driver. Sometimes it even irks me that I have to dig one of those out so I get the Dremel and cut a slot for a flat driver. Then they can be taken apart with a SAK like everything should.

:D You got my vote. :tu:

Actually I don't mind the security screws that much, as long as they're screws. It's the rivets I hate. :ahhh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 02:09:12 AM
Me -----> :twak: <-----Rivets
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%