Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone here actually prefer Cellidor?

ca Offline Stirling3749

Anyone here actually prefer Cellidor?
on: April 08, 2011, 08:37:47 AM
Seems like most folks here favor the alox models so let's hear it from the other side of the lake.
I myself like the cellidor knives better, not just because of the scale tools or the harmless "red swiss army knife" appearance around sheeple or even the vast tool selection (including scissors,) but also the fact that the delicate scales can be replaced easily and with other materials like wood or antler or G10 etc. so you aren't just limited to the delicate plastic from the factory.
Anyone else think the way I do?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Anyone here actually prefer Cellidor?
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:38 AM
i like cellidor as i find the tooth pick handy but look wise i love the look of stag horn or bone as has a classic look, I would love a vic climber or wenger traveller with bolsters and jigged bone and a bail, one day  :D

this kind of look , my ulster electricians pocket knife with rogers bone 1944-

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:33 AM
I always liked cellidor and the fact that they can be replaced easily.
Nate

SEND IT!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:03:36 AM
Like them all!!

:tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:55:49 AM
For me its a hard decision. If the celidor models came with alox scales i would like that. For me i would prefer maybe a 4 or 5 layer alox with more tools like the celidors. I donly like it how the alox is soft and the anodizing wears off and if you drop the knife it gets dents in the Alox. Celidor is good because you can just replace the scales. I prefer Nylon scales over the celidor though because they dont scratch easily but the bad thing is they are only available in red and stayglow colours i think?

I dont care about loosing tooth pick and tweezers on alox models because you can easily slip those into your wallet.

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 10:18:13 AM
I like cellidor too. I have no problem with that.

I don´t think that alox is more favourized over the cellidor. It just can look so because the "alox fans" talk more often about their dedication and majority of us with "simple" cellidor model in their pockets are more silent.  :D
Nobody comes here and says:
HEY!!! Look everybody! I got translucent red huntsman!!! - because many people carry them.
But more people come here and say:
HEY!!! Look everybody! I got yellow (or any other colour) alox!!!

It is like: everybody talks about sport cars, luxury cars (ferrari, porsche...) etc... but at the end, most of them use some daily usual car (ford, toyota...) on the way to work or market.

I have some alox models of course. I use them mostly outdoors (or 111mm nylon knives).

But for daily use I carry mostly cellidor models
("Coffin" knife from Wenger is exception, just because I had chance to get it as used knife for low money).

You can buy standart models in many cellidor scales - red, blue, translucent, yellow, white... and it is normal.

But suddenly when there is some other colour of alox, then people go crazy...
Somehow I can understand it, but it is not for me.
F

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:47:05 AM
I prefer cellidor, though I also like nylon, alox and the translucent onyx stuff (ABS? I mean the electroinic scales). Nylon plus scales with an inlaid metal shield would be the best.

Oh and there should be more different colors available (solid and translucent: yellow, orange, purple... you name it :D ).
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:10 PM
Yeah thats funny isnt it, no one will come on and rave on about a plain on celidor they got :D I dont really mind because i think all saks are good, there are just certain ones that dont appeal to me. I know lots of guys like the translucent celidor but for me they are my most disliked scales. I think its because i like the traditional red scales and traditionally they were all red. I have got a couple camo 58mm classics. Im not sure what sort of scale material it is but i do like it.

us Offline Southern Dad

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:07:39 PM
I actually like both Cellidor and Alox models equally, I think. They both have their merits. The Celidors are especially nice then they're brand new and shiny! 8) Silver Alox models are also beautifully shiny but if they get banged up, that's it. If I have to sit somewhere and wait, and I'm bored and fidgety, I like to take out my cellidor "executive" SAK and rub it around in my hands because it's smooth. Does that sound weird?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:14:59 PM
I like to take out my cellidor "executive" SAK and rub it around in my hands because it's smooth. Does that sound weird?
I prefer playing with my Secretary 8)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:26 PM
For me I prefer cellidor for the different colors, the accessories (toothpick/tweezers) and the replaceability.
SAW

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:42:00 PM
In a weird way, I prefer cellidor for daily use at work (Timekeeper scales) because of the scale tools AND the cybertool set.  (My cybertimer 41)

On the farm, I find the Alox tools more rugged.  When we go out, I also think the worn Alox has a very classy appearance.

nz Offline HawkeyX

Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 05:47:59 PM
I had a bit of an alox buzz for a while, but I am back to and really do prefer cellidor models for both the way they feel and the extra tools. I have never really had one fail and do dig the classic red.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:18 PM
Nylon plus scales with an inlaid metal shield would be the best.

+1

us Offline alelser

• Suspected Sakilicious
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 06:15:49 PM
I prefer playing with my Secretary 8)

Teeeehehehe!

I prefer Celidor by far. There's simply not enough tool variety on the Alox models for me to justify carrying one on a regular basis. If I did that I would likely just go back to carrying a single-blade custom. I carry a SAK because I can cram just about every tool I could hope to use on a daily basis into a very small package which fits in my pocket and doesn't require a belt pouch or the like.

I also like the modability of Celidor models and availability of new scales and replacement parts. Plus, the red Celidor Vic is just the definitive SAK in my opinion.
Let us therefore open the book of Nature and read in her records.
--James Hutton

Sakilicious!

Offline richs2891

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:24 PM
A worn silver alox does look cool in a rugged way, better than the other coloured alox when they wear.  But like the other I do find the lack of tools ie scissors lacking on the alox models, and the lack of tweezers \ toothpick is frustrating. I've more cellidor than alox in my little collection, but very few red cellidors at the moment.
Great thing about Celidor is replace scales and it look new again.  I might change my mimd if could get tweezers & toothpick in alox scales though

Richard

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 06:48:26 PM
A worn silver alox does look cool in a rugged way, better than the other coloured alox when they wear. 

Richard
You probably have yet to see the right weathered red alox scales then. Here is one I have with the perfect look.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 07:04:55 PM
I prefer the Cellidor to Alox and am no fan of the Nylon at all.  Cellidor feels just right to me, comes in some lovely colours, cleans up easily and holds the excellent T&T.  Alox is fine but holds no real advantage IMO.  Sorry to say but I do think the Nylon feels cheap, a matter of personal taste I guess.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 11:11:20 PM
i like cellidor as i find the tooth pick handy but look wise i love the look of stag horn or bone as has a classic look, I would love a vic climber or wenger traveller with bolsters and jigged bone and a bail, one day  :D

You don't need cellidor for that!  In fact, this soldier is about as close to your Ulster as you can get in a SAK.  ;)  You can have these done with cellidor SAKs too, if that's your preference.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:16:09 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 11:15:30 PM
Sorry to say but I do think the Nylon feels cheap, a matter of personal taste I guess.

I feel the same way.  I used to catch hell over on the SOSAK forums when I would mention that.

I like cellidor and ALOX pretty much equally.  If I could only own one the rest of my life though, I think I would choose an ALOX model for long-term durability with the stouter tools, nickel silver liners and tough scales.
- Terry

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 11:53:36 PM
Every since Def introduced me to ALOX. THANKS DEF (he says with a low growl)
The cellidor just doesn't feel right anymore.

Which is weird because on other knives it doesn't bother me but on Vic and Wenger it bothers me. :ahhh

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 12:33:42 AM
I have one alox piece, and several celidor options. I've also got a couple of nylon pieces, but only because I wanted wharncliffe blades. Nylon scales seem fine on a gardener, but wouldn't want them on a 91/84/85mm model

It's celidor thats in my pocket every day, and I can't see that changing anytime soon. I wish the scales were lees brittle, but at least I can change them if they break. I think it fair to say I prefer the variety of tools on celidor models, but I have considered making wood scales for some of them (just not had the time). I cant see a pioneer, soldier or farmer displacing my deluxe tinker. I've almost bought a 93mm alox a few times ... but what's the point if it's not going to get used?

For keyring carry - well I've not got a SAK on there yet, but I've got an alox rambler and ruby manager patiently waiting in a drawer, plus a brushed stainless pocket tool chest on it's way. When they're all here I'll consider the options and pick one. So far, putting the manager and rambler side by side, the manager seems very "lumpy" for key carry so I can see a metal option going on there at some point ... but I'd probably still have a celidor in the pocket ... and a swisstool in the bag

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 01:03:56 AM

us Offline getahl

Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 01:18:39 AM
I definitely favor alox. I like the way it feels in hand and how it looks. What's more, I like the larger belly on the blade on the 93's and the inline awl. It works for me.

That's not to say I dislike cellidor. The variety of colors and patterns is astounding, the tool selection on the cellidor models is far and away greater than that of the alox, but I still prefers the 93s.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 01:27:17 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

That knife is so beautiful.  makes me  :drool: everytime I see it.

Offline tapong

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 07:03:50 AM
alox>nylon>cellidor

after using my cellidor camper for a bit of moderate work i've never bought another sak that had cellidor and now i use an ecoline camper which i actually try and use for every conceivable work that i can just to see how it'll take the beating. other than the fresh factory minor warping that it had when i bought it, the scales while a bit scratched, is still stuck like it was bolted onto it.

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 09:03:25 AM
When I say cellidor I guess I mean the models that include cellidor scales but really I'd prefer nylon and I think Vic should expand their economy line to all cellidor models.
I know allot of folks think they look/feel cheap and I can see that a bit too but my 111mm Sentinel gets used every day and I can tell it will stay looking brand new for some time to come.
Having said that, one could always swap out the cellidor scales for some eco ones I suppose.

I like cellidor too. I have no problem with that.

I don´t think that alox is more favourized over the cellidor. It just can look so because the "alox fans" talk more often about their dedication and majority of us with "simple" cellidor model in their pockets are more silent.  :D
Nobody comes here and says:
HEY!!! Look everybody! I got translucent red huntsman!!! - because many people carry them.
But more people come here and say:
HEY!!! Look everybody! I got yellow (or any other colour) alox!!!

It is like: everybody talks about sport cars, luxury cars (ferrari, porsche...) etc... but at the end, most of them use some daily usual car (ford, toyota...) on the way to work or market.

I have some alox models of course. I use them mostly outdoors (or 111mm nylon knives).

But for daily use I carry mostly cellidor models
("Coffin" knife from Wenger is exception, just because I had chance to get it as used knife for low money).

You can buy standart models in many cellidor scales - red, blue, translucent, yellow, white... and it is normal.

But suddenly when there is some other colour of alox, then people go crazy...
Somehow I can understand it, but it is not for me.

I think you have a good point there. You don't see allot of limited run cellidor models with black tools and the name of the knife printed on the scale. I can see why collectors like alox.

If I have to sit somewhere and wait, and I'm bored and fidgety, I like to take out my cellidor "executive" SAK and rub it around in my hands because it's smooth. Does that sound weird?

Dude I have an Exectutive on my keychain and I do that all the time.  :D

I prefer Celidor by far. There's simply not enough tool variety on the Alox models for me to justify carrying one on a regular basis. If I did that I would likely just go back to carrying a single-blade custom. I carry a SAK because I can cram just about every tool I could hope to use on a daily basis into a very small package which fits in my pocket and doesn't require a belt pouch or the like.

I also like the modability of Celidor models and availability of new scales and replacement parts. Plus, the red Celidor Vic is just the definitive SAK in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly.
Although if you want to talk about modding, it seems like a few guys here have found ways to "crack" the alox tool selection problem and incorporate scissors into Farmers and such.
Not that I'd want to attempt any peening on a colored alox knife.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 09:25:50 AM

I like the alox because of the military heritage and they just feel like a tough working mans tool. Do we class the 108’s as nylon?

I always play with a SAK when im watching TV or on the computer. I like opening and closing the tools and hearing the nice solid 'snap' sound. :D :) I have also cut my self a few time aswell playing with saks. I like the feel of brand new celidor too. I have a nylon 111mm and it doesn't feel cheap to me.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 10:13:22 AM
While I really like my Cadet for EDC duty, because it is slim and pocketable, I like Celidor knives better. I love to have toothpick and tweezers, I like the look, I even like the scratches, becuase they show that it is a tool, no shelf queen.

I pefer Celidor over the material on larger SAK like the Rucksack too.

That said, the Wenger Titanium scales are winner.  :D
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 04:23:55 PM

I like the alox because of the military heritage and they just feel like a tough working mans tool. Do we class the 108’s as nylon?

That's a good question.  I would be willing to bet that when most folks that comment that they don't like nylon, they're talking about 91mm or 111mm nylon, not 108mm.  At least that's the case for me, as I really like the nylon scales on the 108mm models.  They offer the best grip of any SAK scales, IMO.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD