Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another classic Leatherman

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Another classic Leatherman
on: January 09, 2012, 12:10:08 AM
Yeah, I know, I took a lot of photos today- you should see the ones that didn't make the cut!

This time it's the classic Sideclip- one of the tools Leatherman either shouldn't have cancelled or should reissue.  The Kick didn't really stack up, the Skeletool is a bit too radical to really be in the same class and the Wingman/Sidekick models are, well, they just aren't up to the same standard!

I liked the Sideclip, as I know a great many of the guys here do.  I never really carried it much as it didn't have scissors, but with a few tweaks the Sideclip could come back as the Sideclip II in the same way Leatherman updated the Wave, SuperTool and Charge lines.

Any other Sideclip fans out there?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Another classic Leatherman
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:21:10 AM
Almost ... size, weight, pliers were great. It was the abundance of drivers and lack of anything else which mainly saw me give it up. Loved how it worked with the tool adapter, and if they'd sacrificed some of the dedicated drivers for an awl and scissors seen as the adaptor covered every driver you'd ever need, I'd still have it now.

To be honest though, I have still yet to find something else which does what I want in the same sized package with a pocket clip and it's ability to "disappear" in the pocket ... and I've tried every other slim tool alternative other than the Octane I think.

It came close to being a great tool for me ... very close ... but just not close enough

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:39:18 AM
The Octane is perhaps the closest thing there is to a decent replacement to the Sideclip.  Leatherman has tried, but they just haven't managed it.  Other than the lack of scissors the only real problem I have with the Octane is that the head slides out in my pocket.  At some point I'm going to get at it with the Dremel tool and cut a slot into it to keep that from happening.

I know lots of people are leery of the thin lock mechanism on the Octane, but I have to say I really don't see that much of a problem with it.  A lock mechanism is a safely feature, and not meant to allow you the privilege of pretending you have a fixed blade.  For what it's supposed to do, it does more than good enough.

But, back to the Sideclip, you are right- it's not perfect, but it is convenient enough that it's left a vacuum that I'd like to see more tools try to fill.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:54:45 AM
But, back to the Sideclip, you are right- it's not perfect, but it is convenient enough that it's left a vacuum that I'd like to see more tools try to fill.

Def

Agreed. I really do wish there were more options on the minimalist tool .. particularly ones which don't have linerlocking combo blades. To hope for non-locking plain edged would unfortunately be unrealistic today though I fear  :(

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:04:42 AM
i dont own a sideclip but its one of those classics that i just wish i had. all of mine are newish models. i would love to get one of those.  :drool: nice pics :tu:
-----5hif7y-----

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:47:13 AM

Def

Agreed. I really do wish there were more options on the minimalist tool .. particularly ones which don't have linerlocking combo blades. To hope for non-locking plain edged would unfortunately be unrealistic today though I fear  :(

Guppie?  :D

i dont own a sideclip but its one of those classics that i just wish i had. all of mine are newish models. i would love to get one of those.  :drool: nice pics :tu:

You really do need to see, feel, hold and use a classic Leatherman to truly appreciate the evolution the tools have gone through to get to their current point.  Tools like the PST, PST II, MiniTool and Sideclip really help you to appreciate that tools go through changes, some of which work and some don't.  Look at the Pulse and ST200- at the time the rolling lock seemed like such a good idea Leatherman was introducing it on their flagship models.  Unfortunately, they failed and Leatherman went with rocker locks, something they have had success with and keep refining.  But, it was something new and seemed like a good idea at the time- ditto for the Flair, an attempt at an upscale tool.  While I'm not going to suggest the Flair was a good tool, I will say that upscale tools were a good idea for Leatherman, although I don't think the Flair was the right way to introduce the market.  Now the TTi and MUT series are the top of the heap and doing well, although at the time the Flair was out, I'm certain they would have failed miserably too.

Of course maybe I just get into these things a lot deeper than I should!  :D

Def

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:55:04 AM
I always wanted a sideclip but the lack of scissors made me leave the idea alone.  ::)

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 03:46:00 AM
They look great to me... From what I can see, I'd think I'd really like the size, appearance, and tool compliment of the Sideclip. I have a Kick w/clip, which I carry on occasion, and I love it, but it's just a bit bulky (& ugly?) in my eyes for EDC. But if I ever got my hands on a Sideclip, it might be one of the few tools that could give my KF4 some real competition for carry-time.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 07:48:09 AM
My sideclip is my oldest MT, and the most used.  I just love its slimness and the way it truly does disappear when you pocket it or clip it somewhere.  I have mine clipped to my belt right now actually.  I have used this tool so much I had to have Leatherman tighten it up and put a new edge on the blade, all of which they did for free even after I asked if I could pay for the service.

I really miss the quality feel of Classic Leatherman tools.  I love my blast and use it day, but it's a true utility item as I think it's ugly as sin and I really just carry it because, truthfully, the darn thing is just so useful. 

But my sideclip is a JOY to carry and use.  I am always fondling it if I carry it and I am happy when I need to use it.  I only deploy it in low stress situations where I have total control so as not to break it(the blast is the workhorse) but I do use it.  I have found, like others, that an awl and scissors would be welcome relief to the 3 flatheads that come on it, but I got over it.  I can't bring myself to replace it with a wingman or a kick(both of which i have owned).  They just don't cut the mustard as replacements.

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:00:09 AM
The Sideclip is one of my favorite multitools.  The handles are made from 4 pieces (4 date codes!) that are bent at a right angle and they use 2 for each side.  The PST for example has a one piece handle that is stamped into a U shaped channel.  Where most Leatherman Large tools require the tools to be placed into the handle and then a pivot placed through the handle the Sideclip can be put together by being stacked.  Much easier for me to put back together! 

When you fold a Sideclip the pliers rest on the center screwdrivers in each handle.  This would affect the ability to put a standard Leatherman bit driver in the tool.  But scissors would be possible on the outside space...at least I will try if I ever find a well used Sideclip.  I thought I had a beater Sideclip but it had glue on the handles and it turned out to have 0198 date codes!  Needless to say that Sideclip is now a shelf queen.  Matte finish is interesting I have 2 earlier Sideclips with small plier head and Leatherman USA both are matte finish, the 2 later Sideclips I have are a shinny finish with the larger plier head and Leatherman Tool.  Both the later tools are etched one with OG&E and the other Bass Pro Shops.  The finish is not polished but more like a normal PST.  I don't know if there was a matte or shinny option but the website shows the larger plier head and states matte finish in the description.  So if you have a larger plier head is yours shinny?

Yeah, I have a problem with wanting the earliest date codes on every tool.  I'm sure enough therapy or the early date codes will help my problem.

But I digress, I would like to find a well loved Sideclip and remove the knife and put in scissors from a PST II or Pulse and try to carry it on the airplane every week.  Of course I will put a Self Addressed postage paid envelope in my laptop bag in case some of Grant's acquaintances take umbrage to my tool. 

But to Grant's idea of a Sideclip II....it is a fantastic idea and what a great 30th anniversary tool it would be.  Maybe TiNi on the handles?  High grade knife (longer too), laser engraving Tim Leatherman's signature, there is a lot that can be done. 

Finally since the Sideclip II was Grant's idea and the 30th anniversary was mine I think we should have the first of the Sideclip II's specially laser engraved and available to pre-order for charter member of Multitool.org. 

Bruce

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:17:46 AM
I love the slimline profile of the sideclip and the build quality , I like how each handle is in two pieces and the metal seems thicker then on other Leathermans 

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33:42 AM
I love the slimline profile of the sideclip and the build quality , I like how each handle is in two pieces and the metal seems thicker then on other Leathermans

Dunc,

You are right about the thicker metal!  I had Sideclips and PST here on my desk, ok I was fondling them, and I had a set of cheap digital calipers so....
PST          .039"  or 1 mm
Sideclip    .048   or 1.2 mm

So the Sideclip has 20% thicker metal in the handles. 

Since there was a Minitool here I checked and it is the exact same metal as the PST  .039"

Bruce

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 09:06:07 AM
I like the look of the sideclip but always thought the pstII with a clip would be as good  :-\  although over the years on here i have seen the odd modded clipped pst/pstII  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 03:58:57 PM
You really need to get your hands on a Sideclip to really appreciate it- it's significantly thinner than a PST II.

Bruce- I will discuss the possibility with Leatherman next week.  I doubt it will go anywhere, but if it does, I see no reason not to follow through with your plan.  :D

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11:56 PM
I am totally down for preorder of the sideclip II.

I would really love to get my hands on a polished sideclip!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 06:11:33 PM
I never leave home without my RecaroTM Sideclip..  :tu: 8)
You need to add pics of the shiny version Grant.. ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 08:03:49 PM
I need to get a shiny one first!  My photography skills have yet to reach a point where I can take pics of things I don't have!  :P

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:12:15 PM
I have a pic you know...  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:00 PM
Well then I think you need to post it!  :D

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 08:15:48 PM
I thought you'd never ask..    ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 08:16:30 PM
I didn't realize that I had to!  :D

Sure is purdy though!

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
I have another shiny without print, but I can't find any pics of it right now..

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 08:49:44 PM
There's an easy fix for that you know...  :pok:

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:44 PM
I don't have a fancy camera (lost it on a boat trip  :P), so I need some clear daylight to take a decent picture..   :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 09:01:25 PM
Boats are dangerous like that!  :D

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 05:19:29 PM
As promised.. ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 05:51:57 PM
That's a beauty!   :drool:

Def

us Offline David

Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 05:08:01 PM
I really like the SideClip. It sure is a classic.    :)
SideClip 077.JPG
* SideClip 077.JPG (Filesize: 47.91 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 05:25:39 PM
It seems like the Sideclip is pretty popular with almost everyone as a user, not because it was discontinued and is now collectible.  I have to wonder how it would fare if it were on sale today?

Def

us Offline David

Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 06:00:56 PM
While I hate to see the SideClip regulated to the dust pile of history. I`m not sure it could compete with some of the newer tools in today market. Back when it came out I remeber thinking why do I need a pocket clipped MT. I already had a knife clipped in my pocket. I was still stuck in a mind set that a MT belonged on your belt. I took me time to adjust to the idea of the pocket clip on a MT. By then the SideClip had been disco`d. I guess the SideClip was a head of its time for me any way. Maybe it would fare better today.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD