Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If you're going to spew, spew into this!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
If you're going to spew, spew into this!
on: January 20, 2012, 05:00:12 AM
If you remember Wayne's World then the thread title probably set off the chorus of Bohemian Rhapsody in your head!

Or, if you are a Harry Potter fan you might think this thread is about the Society for the Promotion of Elvish Welfare.

Since you are on this site, chances are better than you are a knife person, so SPEW to you probably means CRKT's Small Pocket Everyday Wharncliffe.  I've got a thing for small fixed blades and this one really fits the bill.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Re: If you're going to spew, spew into this!
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:46:39 PM
Terrible, terrible name, cool knife.  420HC analogous steel.  If it streets under $25 I'll probably get one.

I'm happy that CRKT has been raising their game the last few years - better steel, great designs.  Their warranty department is still among the best in the industry as well.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:00:10 PM
Bad name, and not overly impressed with the looks either. I'm a big fan of wharncliffe and sheepsfoot blades, but this one is just a little too .... pointy. If it was a little more rounded/convex so the tip didn't look quite so delicate, I might have been on board with this one

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:40:17 PM
Looks wicked. :)   What sort of sheath does it come with?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:57:24 PM
Bad name, and not overly impressed with the looks either. I'm a big fan of wharncliffe and sheepsfoot blades, but this one is just a little too .... pointy. If it was a little more rounded/convex so the tip didn't look quite so delicate, I might have been on board with this one

Oddly enough, the blade shape is nearly identical to the Crawford Dragon Knife, which is sold as a self-defense knife.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:32:33 AM

+1.  I think of wharncliffe blades being primarily for utility purposes.  So little metal at the tip makes me think this won't be suitable for anything but the lightest tasks.

I do like the size and handle shape, though.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:22:00 AM

It comes with a nice little kydex sheath that it locks into with a good snap.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:29:24 PM

+1.  My first thought when I saw the picture was "That point looks very delicate". 
Tick Magnet

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:29:14 PM
Looks quite dangerous really..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:13:33 PM

+1.  My first thought when I saw the picture was "That point looks very delicate".

Actually, with hollow ground 420HC the tip is not likely to be very delicate.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:19:00 PM

I always look forward to your comments jekostas.  Your knowledge about knives seems endless.   :salute:
Tick Magnet

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:32:02 PM
Say what you like, I was drooling over this one at the show and I can't wait to get one of my own.  This seems like a nice little kayaking knife, and so much the better if the tip breaks off and I can turn it into a Wharncliffe!  :D

Def

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:15 PM

I always look forward to your comments jekostas.  Your knowledge about knives seems endless.   :salute:

I try :D

Anyways, as for this knife, couple of things stood out to me regarding the tip.

1.  Steel.  420HC's calling cards are toughness and corrosion resistance.  Buck and Leatherman have done good things with the steel in the past, and both put it in knives that they expect you to thrash, beat on and generally do your damnedest to destroy.  It's tough to chip out.

2.  Hollow ground.  Hollow grinds can be inferior slicers to flat ground blades, but they leave more steel intact along the spine and tip because of the way the geometry works at the blade.  Spyderco's redesign of the Yojimbo 2, for example, went with a hollow ground blade instead of the flat ground blade of the original Yojimbo and Ronin for exactly this reason (Spyderco's other two Michael Janich designs).

Is the tip more easily breakable than in a more rounded design?  Absolutely.  However, I don't think "more easily breakable" necessarily translates in to "delicate".

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 01:24:19 PM

I try :D

Anyways, as for this knife, couple of things stood out to me regarding the tip.

1.  Steel.  420HC's calling cards are toughness and corrosion resistance.  Buck and Leatherman have done good things with the steel in the past, and both put it in knives that they expect you to thrash, beat on and generally do your damnedest to destroy.  It's tough to chip out.

2.  Hollow ground.  Hollow grinds can be inferior slicers to flat ground blades, but they leave more steel intact along the spine and tip because of the way the geometry works at the blade.  Spyderco's redesign of the Yojimbo 2, for example, went with a hollow ground blade instead of the flat ground blade of the original Yojimbo and Ronin for exactly this reason (Spyderco's other two Michael Janich designs).

Is the tip more easily breakable than in a more rounded design?  Absolutely.  However, I don't think "more easily breakable" necessarily translates in to "delicate".

I'd disagree with point 2 on this knife as it is such a high hollow grind. Certainly the lower third near the edge will be thinner than would have been with a FFG. You only have to draw superimposed cross-sections on a piece of paper to see it. Add to that the long gradual taper to the point and I think you've got a very precise edge, but still what I would consider rather delicate

Waterstones at the ready Grant  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:19 PM

Def

Was that sound the sheath Snapping or was that the blade tip giving way  :think: :P :D

Def your Kayak is going to have a spouting water feature in it if you drop that knife in it   :think: :P :D :D. Or a very small keel  :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:31 PM
The idea is to not drop it then, isn't it?  :P

Luckily my kayak is fiberglass and it's pretty resistant to puncturing- if some of the rocks I've hit haven't punctured it, this little knife won't do it!

Of course now that I've been thinking about the broken tip I'm tempted to get one and turn it into a wharncliffe just for the fun of it.  If only it came serrated....

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 03:03:01 AM

Def

Is it real kydex or injection mold FRN? Seems a lot of companies calling the latter kydex now, but I really dislike them as they dull the edge pretty fast.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:48 AM
I really don't know- if I was on the spot I'd say probably molded FRN, but I can't say for sure.  There's nothing about it on the CRKT page:

http://www.crkt.com/SPEW-Fixed-Blade

Of course the sheath I saw at the show can change before it hits production the same as the Ta-Bar/Spare Tool.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%