Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Using torx pins for a mod.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Using torx pins for a mod.
on: April 18, 2012, 06:54:44 PM
Hi guys.  I've seen that Bushidomosquito has used some torx head pins for his custom SAK creations.  I'm interested in trying to do a simple mod myself, putting a pliers layer in an Explorer.  However, I'm not sure about doing the peening / finishing of the pins.  I'm sure getting them out won't be a problem for me, just putting it all back together. 

Two questions:

1) Where can I get the torx head pins to use to reassemble an Explorer after a mod.

2) Will they be usable with regular cellidor scales, or will they require custom scales?
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Using torx pins for a mod.
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:58:39 PM
I prefer the knifekits pivots to the other brands, and they cost less.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_83&products_id=471

If you want to go that route, you must have a drill press and get a 1/8 carbide drill bit, preferable a spade bit.  All tools and springs must be drilled to 1/8 to accomodate the larger barrel pin.  There are no smaller barrel pins, but that would be nice.  Aside from that, some cutting oil and your good to go.

edit: just realized you were asking about cellidor, and in that case Id recommend peening.  No drilling and you can be messy with the peening since its covered up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:01:50 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:27 PM
Hey Syph, thanks for the info.  I wanted to avoid doing peening if possible, as I've never done it before, but it sounds like doing the drilling would be more of a hassle.  I also don't have a "real" drill press, just one of the little Dremel ones. 

It sounds like peening is the way to go.  How difficult is it to learn?  I'm pretty sure I've got all the tools, but I'd rather not completely trash a new knife as part of the learning curve.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:49:15 PM
Gareths pinned post in this section does a good job explaining the basics of cellidor modding.  Just find a small peening hammer, get some brass pin stock from rotokid and have at it.  Practice forming the heads with gentle blows and it wont be too much trouble.  For 91 mm mods you will need 2.5 mm and 2.2 mm pin stock.  I got all mine from Tom (rotokid).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:06:13 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:57:45 PM
I thought 2.5 and 2.2 mm was for 91 mm, while 93 mm used 3.0 and 2.5?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:06:41 PM
I thought 2.5 and 2.2 mm was for 91 mm, while 93 mm used 3.0 and 2.5?

Yep typo on my part, fixed it.  :D 

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:12:36 PM
Typo? I see no typo!  :D

“Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.”

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:47:15 PM
Typo? I see no typo!  :D

“Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.”
I HATE temporal mechanics!   :think:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:12 PM
Pretty much the only time travel SF I've found OK was HG Wells' classic book The Time Machine when I read it as a kid and when Stargate SG-1 did their version of Groundhog Day in one of the early season (don't remember the episode name). Time travel scenarios usually just end up with weak plotlines and/or no consequences of the story (If the story has no consequences, I'm really not that interested. Why should I care then?), all too often it's just a writer's crutch for TV series where status quo is king.  :rant:

There, is that sufficiently far off topic, or should I try harder?  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD