Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Commander versus Victorinox Sportsman

us Offline sambeaux

Wenger Commander versus Victorinox Sportsman
on: August 06, 2013, 07:22:03 PM
So... I finally found a Wenger and a Victorinox that are about as similar as possible to do a side by side comparison. So... here we go.

Scales

The scales on both are a very attractive red cellidor. Unfortunately, by the time of this review, both are a bit pocket worn. For consistency, I'll try to use width to refer to the distance between the outsides of the scales and height as distance from the back layer edge to the front layer edge. Personally, I prefer the Victorinox shield over the Wenger. As far as I can tell without using calipers, the two knives are the same width even though the Wenger LOOKS thinner. I attribute this to the Wenger having scales that cover the outside liners. On the whole, the Wenger scales look more refined. The Wenger scales are also taller. Again, I attribute this to having scales that cover the outside liners. The Victorinox is an 84mm model and the Wenger is an 85mm model.

I prefer the shield on the Victorinox scales, but I prefer the more finished look of the Wenger scales as they cover the outside liners.

Tweezers

The Victorinox tweezers are longer and easier to remove. The Wenger tweezers are shorter and more difficult to remove, but seem a little   "grabbier". Overall, I prefer the Victorinox tweezers for the ease of removal.

Toothpicks

The Victorinox toothpick is longer, thicker, and less bendy. They were equally difficult to remove.

Keyrings

The keyrings appear to be identical between the two knives. The keyring is attached to a spring on the Wenger and to a liner on the Victorinox. I prefer having the keyring in the spring.

Main blades

Both main blades are highly polished, well sharpened, and easy to maintain. The Wenger is slightly longer, noticeably thinner, and has a bit more belly. The nail nick on the Victorinox is deeper. I prefer the straighter, thicker blade of the Victorinox; but many will prefer the thinness and belly of the Wenger blade. Both had very snappy springs.

Can openers

The Victorinox can opener is a forward cutting can opener with a screwdriver tip. The Wenger can opener is a backward cutting can opener. While the Wenger does not have a screwdriver tip, some people claim that it makes a better improvized digging tool than the Victorinox.   Personally, I prefer the Victorinox can opener, but I'm reasonably comfortable with either. I'm slightly faster with the Victorinox. The springs on the Victorinox were much snappier.

Bottle openers

The Victorinox bottle opener is longer, thicker, and wider. My Sportsman lacks the 90 degree stop feature. The Wenger has a locking feature and seems to be a slightly better shape for opening bottles. They both make perfectly acceptable screwdrivers. Both feature the "wire bender" notch. If the Sportsman had the 90 degree stop, it might be a tossup; but I find that I prefer the Wenger bottle opener. The spring on the Sportsman bottle opener is noticeably snappier.

Nail files

The nail files on these two are, of course, very similar. The main difference being which side of the blade has the nail file surface. The nailfile on the Victorinox faces the main blade and sometimes drags against the main blade when you open it. The nailfile on the Wenger faces away from the main blade. This means that you aren't scraping the nail file against the main blade... but it also means that the nail file is on the same side as the nail nick. The nail file surface is a bit shorter on the Wenger to accommodate the nail nick. The nail file surface seems to be a little more aggressive on the Wenger. The nail cleaner is slightly pointier/sharper on the Victorinox. Both have very snappy springs, with the Sportsman being slightly stiffer. I don't have a clear cut preference here.

Awls

The Wenger awl does not have a sharpened edge, but it does have a pointy tip. The Victorinox reamer has a sharpened edge that cuts well. It also has a sewing eye. I can't say I've used the Wenger awl yet, but it seems useful. I've used the reamer a bit and it works well. The springs on both were less snappy than those of other tools.

Corkscrews

The corkscrews appear to be identical and work equally well. The Wenger corkscrew seems to be a slightly tighter spiral. I cannot put the Victorinox eyeglass screwdriver into the Wenger corkscrew. The Wenger corkscrew is *VERY* snappy.

Conclusion

Overall, I find the two knives are nearly identical in fit, function, and design. On a few of the blades, I find that I have a very slight preference for the Sportsman. I really wish mine had the 90 degree stop on the bottle opener. I prefer the bottle opener, scales, and tweezers of the Commander.
I prefer the blade, can opener, and nail file on the Sportsman.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wenger Commander versus Victorinox Sportsman
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:34:01 AM
Nice comparison test mate :salute:

Only thing I'd add is both toothpicks are equally adept at spearing olives :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:40:39 AM
Nice comparison test mate :salute:

Only thing I'd add is both toothpicks are equally adept at spearing olives :drool:

+1

Though the wenger toothpick is much harder to find a replacement for if you lose it. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:06:45 AM
Well done.  :cheers:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:38 AM
Good comparison. :tu: That's funny about the nail files. I only have older Wengers from before they changed the nail file to face outwards. I see why though because on one of my Wengers the nail file scrapes the main blade really bad.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:55:07 AM
Very good review!

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:39 PM
Thank you all.  :sak:

It's tough to fine models that are directly comparable. I've been debating posting a Wenger Teton versus Victorinox Climber comparison.

Sam

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:00:22 PM
Nice comparison  :tu:

My personal preference is for the Wenger. The locking flat driver is a big bonus in my book, and as you said the cap lifter function is better. Both can openers open the most common cans perfectly well, but that is not a common functional requirement for me anyway. The Vic can opener has the little flat driver which can turn Phillips screws or be a lightweight prying implement for gaps that the caplifter won't fit in. The Wenger can opener serves as a decent package opener and general "diggy/pokey" thing, and the sharpness of it compensates for the lack of sharpness on the awl/punch. The nail file will serve as an emergency Phillips driver, so there's little function missing on the Wenger from having that different opener. Toothpick and tweezers are easier to get out on the Vic's, but also easier to accidentally pop out and get lost. I also like the bit of extra belly on the Wenger blade

There's not much between them, and the Vic Sportsman is an excellent knife, but my personal taste just gives a slight edge to the Wenger. Despite all that I personally don't carry a Commander, but add in a scissor layer and you have my most carried SAK model of all - the Traveller  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 06:35:25 PM
Good comparison. :tu: That's funny about the nail files. I only have older Wengers from before they changed the nail file to face outwards. I see why though because on one of my Wengers the nail file scrapes the main blade really bad.

I just bought my first wenger, and I noticed the file rubs against the main blade.  it looks just like the commander in this tread, but no tweezers or toothpick.  anybody able to help me date it some?
the only other main difference I see is the Wenger logo is just white on the red scales, not a brighter read inside the square.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:37:00 PM by detron »
If I can help, let me know 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:49:51 PM
That's common with the nail file. There isn't that much info on dating Wengers out there but some more details about yours would be helpful. Is the file portion facing toward the blade or the scale, does the bottle opener lock when you put pressure on the tip/have a locking nub at the bottom, is the shield painted on or inlayed, ...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 06:51:45 PM
Some pics would help too. ;)

us Offline detron

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 08:31:07 PM
Thanks for the help,   the file side of the file does rub against the main blade,   not against the side.  There are no tweezers or toithpick slots.

Here are some pics that might help

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline detron

Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 08:34:29 PM
More pics

us Offline detron

Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 08:36:57 PM
Last few

Thanks for any help.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 01:32:54 AM
Very good review.  I'd take the Sportsman, but I do wish Vic would improve their cap-lifter design a bit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%