Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tourist Knife/MT shopping suggestions in Munich, Germany (pic heavy)

comis · 12 · 10196

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Tourist Knife/MT shopping suggestions in Munich, Germany (pic heavy)

Hi, everyone.  :D

This is an unofficial guide for tourists' knife/MT/Outdoor gear shopping merely based on my own tourist experience during Dec, 2013, and by no means an exhaustive list. 

Do view these as my humble service to those who has a little time to visit, and like to do a little knife/MT/outdoor gear buying on the side.  If anyone could provide better guidance, do feel free to jump right in.  :cheers:

To begin, I like to thank those who had made suggestions on my travelling thread and also different writeups I found on this forum and Blade forum.  The following shop names/addresses should be accurate.  But if I have mistaken it, again do feel free to correct me.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Munich

After a very short visit to Frankfurt, I found Munich to be a city has a good mix of shopping and sightseeing, especially the walking street(Neuhauser Str) from Karlsplatz to Marienplatz.  I went there during Christmas time, and definitely find the Medieval Christmas Market interesting.  If you have time, Schloss Neuschwanstein is just a day trip away and well worth visiting.

My stay in Munich is far too short, but here are a short list of places I recommend if you are making a short visit:
Karlsplatz > Marienplatz
Schloss Neuschwanstein
BMW museum
Deutsches Museum

Knife and MT shopping in Munich

For someone whom is hunting for local themed SAK and local knives, shopping in Munich was not too difficult as a tourist.  While I was just walking from Karlsplatz towards Marienplatz, I was able to find a few shops there that offer what I want, and I am sure given time, you will be able to find even more shops that will suit your fancy.

Max Kurg
Neuhauser Str 2,
80331, Munich

(Approx 380m East from Karlsplatz, on google map)
Walking towards Marienplatz from Karlsplatz, once passed St. Micheal's Church, this small gift shop should be on your left hand side.

It is a very small souvenir shop from outside looking in, but it has some of everything. The 2nd floor has a little knife shop with small selection of SAK(also Germany themed SAK) and other local knives, but like any tourist locations, the knives might be overpriced.

Biebl Messer
(across Galleria Kaufhof)
Marienplatz 1,
80331 Munich
Tel 0 89/22 79 17
email: Biebl.Messer@t-online.de

(even though on map, you see the shop is located on a corner, but it is more facing the Galleria Kaufhof rather than facing the Marienplatz)

Walking along KaulfingerStrasse(West to East), this knife shop is on you left hand side just before getting to the Marienplatz.  It is a great professional knife shop and it sells all kind of fixed blade/folding knives/kitchen knives, most commonly known European brand could be found there. Some more rare to find/limited collection products could also be found, such as Wenger united woods, Victorinox Heritage, etc.

Since I am collecting any SAK made with a local theme, this shop does offer specialized SAK made exclusively for them, such as the colored Munich Marienplatz 91mm SAK, Munich classic and Munich swisscard(red and blue).  It also offer the more popular Germany themed SAK, such as the red or white scale Germany flag 91mm.

Schloss Neuschwanstein

Besides the sightseeing, you could find in their souvenir shop that they do have custom SAK made for the Schloss Neuschwanstein.  If you didn't have the time or chance to visit the castle, you could order these SAK online or possibly from other local knife/souvenir shops.

Other interesting places to shop/see:

SportScheck
Neuhauser Str 19-21,
80331, Munich

If you are walking on Neuhauser Strasse towards Marienplatz(West to East), this shop is about 300m East of Karlsplatz station, on your right hand side.  It is really large sport store 4-stories complex, great for ice sport and clothing, also a large and decent outdoor gear and backpack selection.

Medieval Christmas market
Wittlesbacherplatz square(on Brienner Strasse)

If you like to visit Christmas market and do like Medieval themed stuff, this is certainly an interesting twist of Christmas market.  I am not sure whether they change location each year, but this is how I found it, Dec 2013:

Before entering Marienplatz, go North on WeinStrasse;
Once you passed Feldherrnhalle on your right, and reached Odeonsplatz station, turn left and walk West on Brienner Strasse.

What makes this small Christmas market unique, besides the medieval theme, are the products they offer.  Most of the products are probably handmade, and less likely to be found in modern Christmas market.  The armour shop offers different kinds of weapon and armor, but I am not sure about their quality and it is possible they are more for novelty collection.  :duel:

Tips of finding/buying knife/MT as a tourist in Europe:
--Before you go, it best to find local friends/Conceirge of your hotel to verify the shop address/hours
--Again, name a few well known European brands of knives and check with hotel concerige to see whether the knife shop you are going does carry them.
--Not everything listed on BF/MTO are accurate or up-to-date, I have found some shops relocated or disappeared.
--Most shops close early, and on average, I'd suggest to go before 5-6pm
--There is correlation between knife/MT shop vs "Zwilling JA Henckels" kitchen knife brand.  Personally, it is about 70% chance of finding a knife shop while it is also a Zwilling JA Henckels dealer, in all the cities I visited.
--Use google map and 'street view' to see whether there is an actual shop there on the street, and check to see what's the walking distance to best plan your visits.

Safe travel, and have fun!  :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Many thanks. Germany looks great for knives, though a bit expensive
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Great thread for knife shoppers as always. :hatsoff:

I'll be starting a sticky Tourist thread soon that will include links to all of these, the knife laws thread, the customs regulations thread and any others we can find posted on MTO or any future threads that will fall into this category. :tu: So start searching for your old threads, guys. We'll need links. :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Dks,

That probably is the truth.  But for many of us who lived in Asia or Amercia, sometimes it is better to do online research(mostly on European brands) before going and then get whatever rarity we see right there and then.  Since it is not too often for me to travel to Europe/America, I much rather to pay a little premium than to regret later in life.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Great thread for knife shoppers as always. :hatsoff:

I'll be starting a sticky Tourist thread soon that will include links to all of these, the knife laws thread, the customs regulations thread and any others we can find posted on MTO or any future threads that will fall into this category. :tu: So start searching for your old threads, guys. We'll need links. :D

Yeah!  :tu:

I look forward to that thread, and I think for some of us who are travelling, a consolidated thread of where and what will be valuable.

For starter, here are my recent humble contribution:

"Tourist Knife/MT shopping suggestions" series by Comis

Info Date: Dec 2013
Salzburg and Vienna, Austria
Prague, Czech Republic
London, UK
Budapest, Hungary
Munich, Germany
Berlin, Germany

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
From my limited experience with German knives I see that it is  a lot better to choose the knife in person as their overall quality, especially when compared with a SAK, is not the same allways. My German knives were bought online and I am not 100% happy with any of them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:35:54 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
I love that little sewing set :) Is it from Vic itsself, or put together somehow?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
It is from Victorinox. You can find them off of eBay at times. That is where I got mine.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I love that little sewing set :) Is it from Vic itsself, or put together somehow?

Hi, Bmot.

It's been a busy week for me, and just read your question.  But as Chako pointed out, yes, it is original by Victorinox and I think it is a neat little kit for travelers. :D

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Small update to this older shopping topic.

Just happened to check out the Sport Scheck outlet in central Munich (Neuhauser Straße 18, recently refurbished) and it currently only sells a few of the lower end Leathermans (Juice, Rebar, and a few others) as multitools. No Victorinox or Wenger.
Sport Schuster (new building at Rosenstraße 1-5) still does some higher end Leathermans. No Victorinox or Wenger...
For Victorinox fans, one spot I know is at the end of Tal, on the right as you head out of town, almost at Isartor (they sell kitchen implements too); then at the other end of the old city there is the Victorinox luggage dept. at the Oberpollinger department store (Neuhauser Str. 18) but only for smaller Victorinox knives (no MTs).

Generally, one can notice a decline in Central Munich shops' interest to carry multitools or knives (or for that matter anything that might be construed as weapons).   
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Forgot an important shop (store for North Americans :)): Globetrotter at Isartor. Carry lots of nice travelling and camping stuff and multitools galore (both Vic and LM, and maybe some others my relative inexperience makes me unable to recognise as yet).

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Yet another place in Munich - discovered that a favourite haunt of mine, Foto Video Sauter on Sonnenstr. near Sendlinger Tor, also carries selected Leatherman MTs across the range. Now I'll stop ;)

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56