Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Detron's review/thoughts of his G-Shock GD350-1B

detron · 39 · 22796

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Detron's review/thoughts of his G-Shock GD350-1B
on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:36 AM
So thanks to MTO, I have been enlightened to the awesomeness of G-shock watches.

I bought the GD350-1B because it was TactiCOOL  it is all black with a negative display, and has an awesome vibrate feature that I have fallen in love with!

so here is the watch's negative display

In daylight it is harder to read than a positive display, but not to the point that it bothers me,  I actually like the fact that at most angles the ENTIRE watch looks black.

the illumination works very good, I have seen better like the super-illuminator, but is more than sufficient.

here is the watch with the illumination on

as far as the size, I have quickly become accustom to the size and weight.  I also love the wider band with two rows of holes.  I am also very surprised at how comfortable this watch is.

here it is on my wrist, I am a big man, and I have about an 8.5" wrist.

I love the hourly notification on watches, but usually I end up turning it off due to the in-opportune times it chooses to go off,  well, I this watch solve that for me.
I get two short vibrations every hour, and I am very pleased with this. 
The vibration fits the tactiCOOL -ness in that it will always be silent, if you set it up that way, including timer, alarms, hourly notification, EVERYTHING.

one feature of this watch that some people will find very useful is that when in the time-keeping screen, the "D" button (bottom right) will instantly start the countdown timer.   while this is counting down, the current time is still displayed with the countdown happening on the line above.

Final thoughts

I am very pleased with my first G-Shock purchase, and am excited to scour the flea-markets for G-Shock watches!!!  I understand the draw people have to these watches, and I feel privileged to be a G-shock owner.  (I have a G-shock gift on the way, and another I purchased, so I will talk about those once they arrive)

here is the info from Casio on this watch

G-Shock Classic Collection featuring the GD350 Mens Watch with Vibration Alarm

This new G-SHOCK was engineered for those special secret missions that demand precision and stealth. The countdown timer function has a large, easily identifiable button for direct access and sure operation under the toughest of conditions. At the end of a countdown, alerts are issued by either a vibration or a tone plus LED flash operation. The large face of the GD350 is configured to ensure that the countdown timer is easily seen in the dark. A high luminance LED can be configured to light up for one, three, or five seconds, and an Auto Light feature causes the face to illuminate whenever the watch is tilted towards the face for reading. The special shock absorber design of the back of the watch helps to ensure that vibrations are felt when it is worn. Black resin band digital with black face.

Vibration Alarm
Direct Countdown Timer Button
High Luminance LED

TECH SPECS

Shock Resistant
200M Water Resistant
Auto LED Backlight (Super Illuminator)
Flash alert
Flasher with buzzer that sounds for alarms, hourly time signal, countdown timer time-up alarm
World Time
35 time zones (100 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off
5 Daily or One-time Alarms (1 with Snooze), selectable flash alert/vibration alert
Hourly Time Signal
Vibration Alert (Daily Alarms, Countdown Timer, Hourly Time Signal)
1/100 second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Countdown timer w/Direct Access
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 24 hours
Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-second increments, 1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
Other: Selectable flash alert/vibration alert, direct start from timekeeping mode
Full Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Low Battery Warning
Button operation tone on/off
Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month
Battery: CR2032
Approx. battery life: 5 years
Module 3403
Size of case/total weight
GD350 53.4 x 50.8 x 18.0mm / 75g

fwupow did a great video review of this watch, this helped me decide to buy this watch.  This is a positive display instead of a negative display, but otherwise a huge help.

Casio G-Shock GD-350 Module 3403
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:33:24 AM by detron »
If I can help, let me know 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Detron's review/thoughts of his G-Shock GD350-1B
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:49:14 PM
Very cool watch. 8)

I've been looking into those negative display models from time to time but I don't carry large watches anymore, so I'm afraid a g-shock would just live in a drawer.

Good write up. :tu:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:05:18 PM
Very cool looking watch Detron!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:10:48 PM
Good read mate, cheers. :tu:  While I love the idea of a G-Shock I've always felt they were a bit too large for my skinny wrist. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 04:09:12 PM
My wrist is pretty large and the G's often just fit on my wrist. Is the band on this one large enough for almost an 8" wrist?

SAW

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:23:42 PM
I love my G.  I have one of the old, old, old style ones. 

It was similar to the middle one in this pic:

I had bought one way back in the early 90's as it was perhaps the only watch I could keep for a while.  I had smashed, lost or utterly destroyed numerous watches leading up to getting a G, which I wore for years and was virtually indestructible.  I actually tried to break this one and it just kept on keeping on, while other watches got broken just being in my general vicinity.

Unfortunately that original one was stolen out of my car when I moved to Toronto in the late 90's, which I found to be very upsetting.

A few years later I got another G, this time with the tide graph, which I never really used, and I joined a G Shock forum.  I told people about my old one and my new one and one of the members was nice enough to send me one like my old one as a gift, which I was very thankful for.  I think Dunc now has my tide graph model, but I still have the replacement for my old one. 

Of course now I pretty well just bounce back and forth between my ZA1 and my Seiko Orange Monster, but I do often think of the G's I have and had, and if I ever decided to go digital, that's the first and probably only way I'd go.

Oh yeah, and the Dark Knight has been calling to me for a long time....

:drool:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
My wrist is pretty large and the G's often just fit on my wrist. Is the band on this one large enough for almost an 8" wrist?

my wrist is 8.5" and there are still 2 holes (2 rows of 2 holes) left

us Offline detron

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:47:16 AM
odd update,  while reading the ENTIRE english portion of the manual, I came across a few odd entries, since this watch has a water-tight  rateing to 200m (20 bar, 660 ft) .

do not use in shower where detergents are in the water.  OK, I can understand this, but was surprised anyway.

it said do not push buttons under water,  this I understand,

here is the one that has me baffled

Do not use for diving or any water activity that requires a scuba tank!  Hold on, lets go to wikipedia (since I am not a diver)
"Generally, recreational diving depths are limited to a maximum of between 30 and 40 meters (100 and 130 feet), beyond which a variety of safety issues (Oxygen Toxicity, Nitrogen Narcosis to name but a few) make it unsafe to dive using recreation diving equipment and practices, and specialized training and equipment for technical diving are needed."

hmm, that is odd to me that the watch is rated to 200 meters, but if I am scuba diving at less than 40 meters, I should not wear it?  :think:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:18 AM
Those are rather new additions to the manual - the G-Shock crowd is mostly thinking for legal reasons.
The soap might deteriorate seals or the resin of teh bezel
Pushing buttons might make them leak (but pushing the buttons was allowed on all Casios rated 100 or 200m Water resist until a few years ago)
The diving thing might be added because Casio would rather sell you a ISO certified Frogman for that purpose...
In older manuals, the G´s are rated ok  for recreational scuba diving.

I would not worry about showering or swimmin with a G or using the buttons under water.

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 01:58:34 PM
Those are rather new additions to the manual - the G-Shock crowd is mostly thinking for legal reasons.
The soap might deteriorate seals or the resin of teh bezel
Pushing buttons might make them leak (but pushing the buttons was allowed on all Casios rated 100 or 200m Water resist until a few years ago)
The diving thing might be added because Casio would rather sell you a ISO certified Frogman for that purpose...
In older manuals, the G´s are rated ok  for recreational scuba diving.

I would not worry about showering or swimmin with a G or using the buttons under water.

thanks lowtech,  I have a Rangeman inbound, I will see what that manual has to say on that $300 watch and compare.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 04:11:48 PM
The watch is gorgeous Detron.  I imagine all the new legal stuff is CYA for Casio but even my cheap Casio has seen shower and detergents and is working great.  I'm sure you'd be fine as Lowtech said.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 05:45:13 PM
Tiny little update that has huge impact for me.

when you cycle through the different modes (stop watch, timer, world time, alarm) and you are trying to get back to time keeping mode, Casio has made this easy.  when your cycle arrives back to time keeping mode, the watch vibrates (I have the vibration on, I guess it would beep otherwise) and even though you have already pressed the mode button again, it does not proceed.  (for like a second, then you can push it again to cycle through the modes)

this is a tiny little thing, but it is a really cool feature to me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 06:23:56 PM

when you cycle through the different modes (stop watch, timer, world time, alarm) and you are trying to get back to time keeping mode, Casio has made this easy.  when your cycle arrives back to time keeping mode, the watch vibrates (I have the vibration on, I guess it would beep otherwise) and even though you have already pressed the mode button again, it does not proceed.  (for like a second, then you can push it again to cycle through the modes)

My Gshocks also have a distinct beep sound when you cycle through the modes
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:54 AM

all modes, or just when you arrive back at time-keeping?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 12:28:52 AM

yes when you cycle thru and get back to the time keeping, sorry my thought was not finished when I first responded. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 12:29:39 AM

yes when you cycle thru and get back to the time keeping, sorry my thought was not finished when I first responded.

cool,  I think that is a great idea

us Offline detron

Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 03:42:43 AM
registered this watch online, and Casio sent me an email extending the warranty an extra 2 years!!   cannot complain about that.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:26 AM
Necro post. I actually found this thread while searching google. How is the GD350 holding up? I am actually thinking of ordering a GD350-8 in the next few days. I really love the look of the watch and almost every single function.

Here is the GD350-8. I rather have the completely grey without the blue, but its an extra $30-$40 possibly $60 if the price drops so i'm good with this one.

http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/GD350-8
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:48:58 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 01:22:03 AM
Ya, cuz now ya got me interested in one  >:D
SAW

us Offline detron

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 01:33:40 AM
Necro post. I actually found this thread while searching google. How is the GD350 holding up? I am actually thinking of ordering a GD350-8 in the next few days. I really love the look of the watch and almost every single function.

Here is the GD350-8. I rather have the completely grey without the blue, but its an extra $30-$40 possibly $60 if the price drops so i'm good with this one.

(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/GD350-8

It is holding up great!  I tend to wear the rangeman, but the 350 is amazing,  to be honest, I LOVE the black-out with negative display,  it is so  BATMAN!  also the vibrating alert is really cool.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 02:53:18 AM
It's a great looking watch!  So stealthy.............
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 02:54:20 AM
I said screw it and ordered the GD350-8 earlier today. I also used my Amazon prime trial and paid the $3.99 for one day shipping so it is guaranteed to show up tomorrow. I didn't wan't to wait.  :D

I was going to wait and see if the price dropped because it was actually at a very low $65.94 in Feb-2015. I paid $81.94. The high was $92.66. I have no idea if it will drop in price anytime soon and keep racking my brain if I should order it or wait, but finally said screw it. Funny thing that I noticed is when items aren't selling well and one person orders one they will usually drop the price for a day or two then raise it up again so I would not be surprised if they do this which would suck, but either way i'm just happy to stop worrying about it and enjoy the watch once it comes. I will be switching between the GD350-8 and my DW9052-1V.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:59:08 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 02:56:35 AM
I said screw it and ordered the GD350-8 earlier today. I also used my Amazon prime trial and paid the $3.99 for one day shipping so it is guaranteed to show up tomorrow. I didn't wan't to wait.  :D
SUPER!!!!  I can't wait to hear your thoughts :cheers:
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 03:00:13 AM
SUPER!!!!  I can't wait to hear your thoughts :cheers:

I will save judgement for at least a week before I saying anything, but I will definitely let you know what I think.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline detron

Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 03:36:58 AM
I think you will like it,  feature wise is it really nice, and a solid design in my opinion

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 03:38:20 AM
Looks alone it's a 10.  Not bad price for a watch that should last a lifetime.  I cannot imagine day to day wearing could kill it. 

Congrats. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 03:49:51 AM
Honestly, I would wear it more,  but the Rangeman has SOO many extra features.  (and I love the Atomic accuracy)   :tu:

you know how it is, the one day you do not wear your paracord bracelet, that is the day you need some   :facepalm:

or the day you bring an ALOX SAK, you need tweezers :facepalm:

I live in fear of wearing the 350 and needing my compass, or something stupid,  it is silly, but that is how I think. 

HOWEVER, you have made me want to wear the 350, and it will be worn tomorrow for sure 

us Offline detron

Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 01:04:49 AM
The GD-350 was great today.  I really love the vibration alarm over the beep.  if my Rangman had that and a negative display...     :drool:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 02:30:28 AM
I forgot to mention I got my GD350 and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the watch!

I decided to return it for a replacement though as I am 99% sure the watch I got was a return that was sold to me. There was no sticker on the case back, no tag anywhere. These things might not be included on these. I'm not 100% sure, but the one thing that really made me think it was previously owned was the factory setting were not set. The settings on the watch had been changed from factory. The watch functioned great as far as I can tell, but its the fact that I bought a new watch not a returned watch so that's what I want. I have 1 month to return it so once I get the replacement (tomorrow) I will either keep the new one and send the other back or just keep the original and send the replacement back.

I'm not going to go into detail about the watch as I will do a review after wearing it for a week or so, but it impressed me MUCH more than expected! One thing I will say is it is MUCH more comfortable than my 9052.

Detron, did yours come with  a sticker on the case back and/or a tag around the strap?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:31:56 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline detron

Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 07:15:06 PM
I forgot to mention I got my GD350 and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the watch!

I decided to return it for a replacement though as I am 99% sure the watch I got was a return that was sold to me. There was no sticker on the case back, no tag anywhere. These things might not be included on these. I'm not 100% sure, but the one thing that really made me think it was previously owned was the factory setting were not set. The settings on the watch had been changed from factory. The watch functioned great as far as I can tell, but its the fact that I bought a new watch not a returned watch so that's what I want. I have 1 month to return it so once I get the replacement (tomorrow) I will either keep the new one and send the other back or just keep the original and send the replacement back.

I'm not going to go into detail about the watch as I will do a review after wearing it for a week or so, but it impressed me MUCH more than expected! One thing I will say is it is MUCH more comfortable than my 9052.

Detron, did yours come with  a sticker on the case back and/or a tag around the strap?

I do not recall about tags,  but there was no sticker. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD