Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chevy Blazers

Anthony · 41 · 36261

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Chevy Blazers
on: June 07, 2008, 11:04:16 PM
I'm in the beginning of looking for a new vehicle, and the Chevy Blazers are something I might look at and just wanted some opinions.  I'd like something that's good in the snow but not HUGE. 

I'd like to maybe get a late 80's early 90's model.

Some q's...

what's the fuel mileage like on the Blazers? 

Are they fairly easy to repair and keep up? 

What year did they start computerizing everything on them? (I assume the newer models have a computer that runs/checks everything)

What's the ride like?  I'm assuming not much better than a bumpy pickup truck :D

[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: Chevy Blazers
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:05:17 AM
Are you wanting the full size K-5 Blazer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_K5_Blazer#1973-1991 or the smaller one S10 Blazer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 02:13:37 AM
Avoid anything with the 2.8L engine- they were some of the worst engines Chevy ever fielded, and were replaced with the much better 3.2L engine in '87 if I'm not mistaken..  Also, go later in the 80's, as they switched from metric to Imperial sizes in '86 and hadn't quite gotten it figured out.  '86 was also the first year they switched to fuel injection and that's another good reason to go later.

The drive train and engine on the K5 Blazers and Jimmys were pretty simplistic and I can't think of any particular weak spots to look out for.  I think the floors had a serious rust problem, but in that era I think they still had full truck frames so you should be ok with just welding in new floor panels if need be.  Make sure to get yourself a Haynes Manual for it- these are automotive bibles if you aren't familiar with them, and no one should consider a used car without one... I got one the day after I got my Jeep, and have had one for every car I ever owned. 

Of course there's the usual stuff to recommend too- check it over at a mechanic's before you lay out any money, check the ball joints, if you can't drive it, don't buy it, crawl under it and look the frame over, if you see any evidence of off roading or towing, walk away...  common sense stuff that I'm sure you know by now!

Plus, you can do cool stuff like this with them:

http://www.rodster.com/sedandelivery.htm

The Jimmy/Blazer has almost as much of a following as the Jeeps and are good, reliable trucks.  Fortunately they aren't usually abused as much as Jeeps are, so you have a good chance of getting a decent one, plus there are more than enough of them around that parts shouldn't be too hard to find.  Most of the guts in them were shared by the whole truck lineup at the time- dash, guages, trim, body panels etc shouldn't be too hard to locate if you need them, and aftermarket parts and upgrades are also pretty common. 

One more thing- late 80's computers could be really wonky, so watch out for that.  I've seen computers throw serious hissy fits and need to be replaced after major work like engine overhaul/rebuilds, and even over minor stuff like changing sensors.  Sensors were fairly new at the time, and while I haven't priced them lately, they were unreliable and expensive.  They likely have gotten cheaper over the years, but it's important to keep in mind if there are lights on the dash.  The good news is, the gizmos for reprogramming the computer for optimum fuel efficiency, power etc are also pretty easy to find.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:51:00 AM
Avoid anything with the 2.8L engine- they were some of the worst engines Chevy ever fielded, and were replaced with the much better 3.2L engine in '87 if I'm not mistaken..
You may have just had a typo but it was the 4.3L that replaced it. Although I've known a few people who had the 2.8L and never had any problems. It wasn't anything special but it wasn't too bad either. But yeah, if you can get the 4.3L. That engine is essentially the famous Chevy 350 with 2 cylinders cut off. It's bulletproof.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 03:53:52 AM
Are you wanting the full size K-5 Blazer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_K5_Blazer#1973-1991 or the smaller one S10 Blazer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer

Hmm, I'm kind of confused with all the info I've been reading, but I'd like the smaller one with 4 doors.

Thanks for the links, and thanks for the info Def...it's narrowing down now...early 90's S10 4 door...automatic :D

And is the Jimmy the same as an S10? :think:

[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 04:07:04 AM
And is the Jimmy the same as an S10?
Pretty much, yeah.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 05:38:25 AM
it's just the GMC version  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 08:41:00 AM
The GMC Jimmy and Chevy Blazer are the same truck, just with different badges.

The 4.3L wasn't a replacement for the 2.8L model- it was the next step up.  It was the big six, while the 2.8 and 3.2 were small sixes.  My experience with the 2.8 and 3.2 are from my old Firebird, but I remember it was hard to get parts because the Jimmy/Blazer guys were hogging them all!  Other than the sheet metal and lack of a transfer case, the Firebird/Camaro was almost identical to the S10/Blazer/Jimmy underneath.

The S10 was a pickup variant, but as the smaller Blazers were built on that frame, they were referred to as the S10 Blazer.  The GMC Version of the S10 Pickup was called the Sonoma.

S10:

S10 Blazer:

I agree with DTH- the 4.3L is a great engine.  The smaller six (3.2L) will need to work harder to give the same results, so you aren't saving any fuel running the smaller engine, and you are increasing wear.  The 4.3L also delivers a fair bit of power, and there's all kinds of aftermarket goodies to make it run faster, better and more efficient. 

The automatic will be a column shift rather than a floor shifter, which may or may not affect you much- personally I never managed to get used to a column, but I drove one for a year and managed well enough.

One other little thing you may want to look for specifically- some models have a rear windshield wiper and some don't.  Get one with the wiper, otherwise you'll never see a darn thing out the back.

The post '95 models were redesigned and somewhat more rounded/streamlined, and can also be had at a good price.  If possible, you should try to get something a little newer rather than older, just because it's probably got less on it needing repairs.  You can probably find a decent 95-98 Blazer for around $3k if you look long enough.  Unless of course you prefer the older body style, in which case, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! :D

1995 Blazer:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 09:10:26 AM
kudos on the GM knowledge boss :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 04:06:08 PM
Thanks- my family has always had trucks, and while we've never really had any specific loyalty to one particular brand, we've had more GM's (and GM owned brands) than any other.  My folks had a '74 Jimmy that we had right up until '90 when the floors rotted out of it, and I've always had a soft spot for the Jimmy/Blazer line as a result.

My own car buying career has also been dominated by GM, although I really have no particular loyalties either (but that's quickly changing with the new Jeep! :D).  My first car was the afore mentioned Pontiac Firebird, then a VX Fox, then a GMC Tracker (Suzuki made, but branded GM), then a Pontiac Catalina (sister car to the Parisienne), then a Pontiac Sunfire, and the Jeep.  I was considering a number of truck brands when I looked at the Jeep, but avoided Blazers and Jimmys simply because my father in law has a Jimmy and I wanted something different... plus I am having a mid life crisis and I needed a convertible! :P

Def

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 05:30:51 PM
The automatic will be a column shift rather than a floor shifter, which may or may not affect you much- personally I never managed to get used to a column, but I drove one for a year and managed well enough.

Def, did some model Blazers have a 3-speed manual shift on the column?  Seem to remember driving one like that, but I may have it confused in my mind with an older Ford Bronco.

I never owned a Bronco or a Blazer, but did drive ones belonging to friends a fair amount.

The manual column shift on the Bronco was really awkward - I got used to it, but always hated it.

N

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 01:54:03 AM
I'm not entirely certain- it's possible, but I've personally never seen one.  I have seen some Fords with three on the tree, so I'd lean towards the Bronco for that one.  Still, it's likely that Chevy had one as well.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:15:30 AM
Chevy Trucks are all I personally have ever owned my wife had a Ford Probe when we first got married but now shes got a truck as well :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 02:27:21 AM
Chevy Trucks are all I personally have ever owned my wife had a Ford Probe when we first got married but now shes got a truck as well :D

So I guess it's safe to assume Chevy trucks are pretty reliable :D

Open question to anyone...do the two door Jimmys/Blazers have a backseat also or is there just a backseat on the 4 door versions?
[

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 02:30:13 AM
I have had 2 Blazers.  The first I got when I was 17.  It was a 1972 with a 350 4 speed.  That truck took a lot of abuse and kept on going.   :D
     The second blazer was a 93  4 door with the 4.3.   Good ride and would get about 20mpg highway.  Had to replace a fuel pump and had problems with the anti lock brakes.  I got rid of it because I wanted to go back to a pickup.  
     I also had a 2002 S10 pickup with the 4.3.  I had it about 4 years and put 60,000 miles on it. Only problem was had to replace front brake pads. Sold it last summer. Nice truck.

Dennis

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 02:32:36 AM
The two door models do have back seats.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 02:41:16 AM
I'm not entirely certain- it's possible, but I've personally never seen one.  I have seen some Fords with three on the tree, so I'd lean towards the Bronco for that one.  Still, it's likely that Chevy had one as well.

Def

Manual column shift was standard in 1966 - 1977, but was not offered after that.  1978-1996 had h-pattern floor shift.

The early ones are easy to convert to floor with a Hurst shifter kit.  I have one in my '67, and would never consider going back to the column shift.
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 03:05:17 AM
Wow, lots of Chevy owners/fans here :o

Both cars I've owned had shifting on the column and that's what I'm comfortable with.  My moms car has the shifter on the floor and I've got no problem driving it after about 10 minutes, same with the trucks at work...so where the shifter is isn't going to be a problem.

Def, Are the two door models any shorter than the four door models?  It's hard to visualize without actually seeing them in person...this whole week I'm going to keep my eyes peeled while I'm out for Blazers :D

Another open question; How easy is it to mod these Chevys?  Like If I wanted to put a spotlight on one or a new stereo system...would I run into any weird problems?
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:24 AM
So I guess it's safe to assume Chevy trucks are pretty reliable :D
American car manufacturers have had trouble competing with European and Japanese companies in the car department sometimes(although recently our cars are just about as good as anyone else's) but you gotta give us credit when it comes to our trucks. Ford, Chevy(GMC) and Dodge are all good trucks.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 01:02:36 PM
I'm not certain if they are any shorter or not- I don't think so, but if they are, it's not by much.

The Blazers and other GM trucks are indeed reliable, but don't think that means never fixing it.  You'll replace ball joints about every other year at least, and probably have to replace the brakes every year, but then that's usual truck stuff.

When it comes to modding, the sky is the limit on Blazers.  Do a search for "Blazer mods" or "custom Blazers" or get more specific and search for "light kit chevy blazer" and you'll see that they are ripe for upgrades and modifications.  Also, pick up a few issues of "Mini Truckin'" Magazine to see even more cool custom stuff like these:

Good luck!  :D

Def

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 07:03:35 PM
The 4.3L wasn't a replacement for the 2.8L model- it was the next step up.  It was the big six, while the 2.8 and 3.2 were small sixes.
I can't find any information on the 3.2L. I've never heard of it in a Blazer. Here's the available engines I found for it for 1st generation models(1983-1994) as copied from Wikipedia. I wonder if maybe Canada had models and/or options that weren't available in the US. That would not surprise me at all. Even the state of California sometimes gets automakers to make specially tuned engines just for them. 

First generation engines

* 1983-1984 - 2.0 L OHV I4, 2-barrel carbureted, 83 hp (62 kW)/108  ft·lbf (146 N·m)
    * 1983-1985 - 1.9 L Isuzu I4, 2-barrel carbureted, 84 hp (63 kW)/101  ft·lbf (137 N·m) (California)
    * 1983-1985 - 2.2 L diesel I4, 58 hp (43 kW)/93  ft·lbf (126 N·m)
    * 1983-1985 - 2.8 L LR2 V6, 2-barrel carbureted, 110 hp (82 kW)/148  ft·lbf (201 N·m) (VIN B)
    * 1985-1989 - 2.5 L Tech IV I4, TBI, 92 hp (69 kW)/132  ft·lbf (179 N·m) (VIN E)
    * 1986-1993 - 2.8 L LL1 V6, TBI, 125 hp (93 kW)/150  ft·lbf (203 N·m) (VIN R)
    * 1988 - 4.3 L Vortec 4300 V6, TBI, 150 hp (112 kW)/230  ft·lbf (312 N·m) (VIN Z)
    * 1989-1992 - 4.3 L Vortec 4300 V6, TBI, 160 hp (119 kW)/230  ft·lbf (312 N·m) (VIN Z)
    * 1990-1993 - 2.5 L Tech IV I4, TBI, 105 hp (78 kW)/135  ft·lbf (183 N·m) (VIN A)
    * 1992-1993 - 4.3 L Vortec 4300 V6, CPFI, 195 hp (145 kW)/260  ft·lbf (353 N·m) (VIN W/Z)
    * 1994 - 2.2 L L43 I4, MPFI, 118 hp (88 kW)/130  ft·lbf (176 N·m) (VIN 4)
    * 1994 - 4.3 L Vortec 4300 V6, CMFI, 195 hp (145 kW)/260  ft·lbf (353 N·m) (VIN W/Z)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer#Second_generation

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 08:33:05 PM
Either that or the 3.2L was just used in the Firebird/Camaro and other cars?

It might not have been put into the Blazer- I was just guessing since the 3.2 replaced the 2.8 in cars.

Def

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 11:31:02 PM
Don't ask me. I've confused myself beyond all usefulness.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:10 AM
Nice pics Def!  I'd be afraid to even drive those for fear of driving by a guy blowing sand out into the street or parking it under a tree full of birds :D

My "mods" would be utilitarian for the most part.  I might even get a high end CB radio for it and ditch my Radio Shack one 8)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 02:03:03 AM
Dem Google guys gots lotsa purdy pitchers...

:D

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 02:52:49 AM
Another question; is the 4WD something you can choose to use when you need it, or is it 4WD all the time?
[

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 03:52:54 AM
My 93 had an electric switch  on the dash.  Could run in 2wd, 4wd, or 4wd low
Dennis

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 06:40:10 AM
Another question; is the 4WD something you can choose to use when you need it, or is it 4WD all the time?

The older model Blazers (believe that's what you're considering) will offer 2WH, 4WH, and 4WL ranges.  Those ranges are activated using a separate shift lever from the regular gear shift.

So you can choose 2WH for everday operation.  Change to 4WH for slick conditions.  Change to 4WL for really hard going.

However, there is a complication due to lockout hubs.

If your Blazer has lockout hubs (which are desirable for better gas milage and reduced wear on the front drive train) you'll have to get out and manually lock in the front wheels before you can use the 4WH or 4WL ranges.

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 02:20:13 PM
Quote from: corrugated
it's narrowing down now...early 90's S10 4 door...automatic

Those won't have lockout hubs.  They have a vacuum-operated front axle disconnect actuator.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 02:21:29 PM
The electric switch saves a lot of space over the actual transfer case lever but I prefer having the lever as you always know when you are in 4WD or not.  I don't trust electrical switches...  In this pic of a Jeep interior, the smaller, second shifter to the left of the transmission shifter is for the transfer case:

Try to find something with a lever with the markings "2WD, N, 4WD, 4LO" marked on it if you can.

Otherwise, you'll get a series of buttons on the dash like this:

There's nothing wrong with them, but like I said, I don't trust them myself.  There's something to be said for pulling on a lever and feeling the gears mesh underneath you.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%