Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

kkokkolis' EDC & SDC

kkokkolis · 272 · 38824

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
kkokkolis' EDC & SDC
on: April 18, 2014, 01:09:15 PM
I thought that it's time to expose systematically my EDC & SDC (everyday & someday carry). You see, I'm not a collector, neither a modder, but I'm sure an EDCer. Recently, with the help of MTO, I almost perfected my EDC load, and carrying all that stuff is my almost only workout for most of the time.
A few words about myself.
I was born on 1968. I am a physician,  Psychiatrist with specialization in Addictilogy. I work 7 hours in the morning in a opioid replacement therapy clinic (with significant related work outside the clinic, in the general health system) Monday to Friday, and 5-7 hours every afternoon except Friday in my office, Public Health System work every Monday and Tuesday and private work every Wednesday and Thursday. So I mostly do clinical and administrative work in office environments but I like to fix stuff also.
I am married and father of two. All the family relies on me for everything that can be carried, from handkerchiefs to chocolate, and that happened since I met my wife, during 1985. I like that, it makes me feel useful.
I am interested in all science and mechanics, although I have very-very limited engineering skills. I have or had in the past many hobbies. I carried a Swisschamp since 1986 and used that for everything related to my everyday living and hobbies. I'm not a brand follower generally in my life, with one exception; Victorinox.
OK. Let's start.
This is my "Absolute Minimum EDC".
A Minichamp II with Aquamarine translucent scales, connected to a Purple plain edge Ladubug.

On the keyring (an aluminum ring from a HDD I disassembled with my Swisschamp) I have my Hyundai Matrix keys (I call it Nio), a red button LED light (amateur astronomy is a hobby of mine) and a Leatherman carabiner to attach it into the rest of my keys.

This mini tool duet, inspired from spydercollector.com, is insanely capable and flexible, carried on my keychain, coin pocket, suit pocket, Skinth and even pajamas.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Re: kkokkolis' EDC & SDC
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:34 PM
Apart from that, I use three main containers for carrying my EDC. They  serve different tasks.
1. My work bag is a Victorinox Trevi briefcase. A great briefcase with all sorts of pockets and flexibilities. I use it everyday since 2007
2. My leisure or private bag is a Victorinox teardrop monosling, carried since around 2004. It has two main compartments, one in front with the typical pen holders and pockets and one in center/ back with clean and flexible space.
3. My travel bag is a Victorinox backpack with very soft padded laces. Similar configuration with the small bag but much more spacious.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:47:13 PM
Nice bags.  :cheers:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:16:46 PM
Very cool set ups and a good read also.
Gonna keep an eye on this thread.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:20:38 PM
Agreed, very cool bags. :D Mine are all Wenger. ;)

But that monster keyring of yours always makes me kind of :o and :ahhh

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:48:52 PM
I used to transfer my EDC items from bag to bag every weekend and when traveling. Occasionally I would forget something. So, my plan was to minimize the items I had to transfer. Since I am an MTO member my items were more and more from month to month. So, the only solution was to team my items. And I done that with two bag in bag containers. This way I only have to remember two things and I leave the travel, leisure and work specific items in their respective bags.
Those containers are an opentop bag in bag with many pockets I bought from a travel shop in Barcelona airport and the Skinth CatchAll Metro made for me.
They fit in all bags. In the Trevi they fit side by side in the main compartment. In the monosling and backpack the Skinth goes in the front and the bag in bag in the back (main) compartment.
The Skinth houses my SAKs, Multitools, knives, torches, lighters and everything that makes MTO and EDCforum members drool.
The opentop houses tin containers with MnMs, PEZ, ecigarette juice and atomizers and a purse with batteries and adapters (the one with the Victorinox lapel pin). There are pockets around (you can reverse the inside out) for my iPod, sanitizer, sunglasses, pens and other stuff. Nothing sharp in it anymore, so I check in the Skinth and carry that in the plane with me.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:01 PM
Thank you all. Next I should show the Skinth loadout I guess. But that needs time.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:04:24 AM
Now, let's see the Skinth CatchAll.
First, I asked Metro to make it a Red and Black theme, in order to be compatible with my aforementioned three Victorinox bags. I find his execution excellent, black on the outside and red on the inside, just as my Victorinox Trevi. "Canadian Mounted babe, a police that works, Red and Black is their color scheme!".
Just in case one ignores my intentions, a Huntsman lapel pin will show them. Placed on the upper segment of the flap it doesn't interfere with anything and it is instantly recognizable when the Skinth is in any of the bags and viewed from above.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:12:57 AM
I'll transfer here my first impressions from the "Skinth loadout thread":

I didn't give much thought. I'm going to play a lot with it the next days. First impressions?
First of all, thanks a lot to Metro. It is great. It is big. It is made with great quality and expertise. He made it red and black, as he was asked.
All my big tools fit in.
The side tubes fit the Spirit and Charge but  also the Swisstool and Surge (tested). The Swisschamp XLT fits in the sidetube also! The XLT fits in the main pocket and the back pocket and the center pocket accomodates easily the XAVT!!!
Problems? Well, most pockets are deep, so short and little items are  difficult to find a place in there. I used my Greek Army sewing kit holder (the cheap plastic envelope in OD into the back pocket) to put there all little and short objects: Victorinox sharpening stone, sewing kit, alcohol pads, band-aids, needles, surgical blades, pencils and IKEA paper ruler, safety pins etc. That was a nice solution, although I would prefer something in black.
I put in everything I EDCed and then some more. So there's one additional  multitool (the Charge) and one additional knife (the Endura) one additional bit kit (the Leatherman two cards), one additional adapter (the  Leatherman extension) and one additional sharpener (the Victorinox dual sharpener, without the cap) that I didn't EDC. But they all fit and there's room for more! I think that I might add the Ritsartz Picnik knife because occassionaly I need a fork and a clean knife (I use my Opinel for much dirty  work). My 32 pieces bit kit fits also with the XLT in the central compartment but I thought it was an overkill since there are the Leatherman cards and an assorted 11 item kit. I never carried the Endura but  it fits so nicely in the MOLLE bands it  is a pitty to leave it behind  (I hope no cop will ever check my bag). I might put the Surge or  the Swisstool in the sidepockets when I predict harder work (when I visit my daughter for example) or put something with different capabilities in one pocket, like a Crunch.
Indeed, many, many options. the only thing that is out of the question is to put that monster on my belt. No, that would be a revelation of the worst kind.
I put an aluminium ring on the front flap so I can hang it open somewhere when I have to work on something (the same way I do with  my travel shaving and personal hygiene kit). I think  that's a nice idea.
The Skinth fits nicelly in my Victorinox Trevi bag and It will fit for sure in my Victorinox monosling and backpack. It will be easy for me to transfer all my tools from bag to bag or leave behind all my sharp and controlled items when I visit the prisons or put them in at once my checked in luggage when I have to travel.

Would  I change anything? Some minor things.
- I might have chosen the front panel to be flat (Metro gives that option of course) although it might prove very practical to be able  to put items with pocket clips there. But  the flat panel would allow better handling and one might add an ID card translucent pocket to add a bussiness card or  personalize the skinth with a motto, a sticker etc.
- I would prefer the side tubes with velcro. They would be flat this way. Ther was that option in the past  but no more I think.
- I would also pay something more to  replace  the  D ring (and the buckles) with something of a better material, like metal.
- Since the CatchAll is so deep, I would add a couple of  shallow pockets of half the height for  small items.
- The Catch all is so big that the "Skinth in Skinth" is a rational move. So I would add an option for a small "purse" with 2-3 pockets for all small items. It could  be made to fit exactly the back pocket.
- The CatchAll is so big and can be so heavy that a small handle of the same material on the top of it would help a lot. That's an easy one.
- I would add a "Skinth" logo somewhere. Come on Metro! you deserve to have your logo on these masterpieces.

Overall I am very excited. I had to wait for two months and 5 days but I will enjoy it for many years to come, that's for sure.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:56 AM
Now let's see what did I fit inside for the moment. It weights ~ 1.5kgr already, mind you. I'm open to suggestions for refinement.

All items fit nicely, removing and putting back anything is extremely easy and nothing rattles.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 10:07:21 AM
What's inside? Let's have a look.

- Left side tube:
1. Victorinox Spirit
2. Victorinox metal clip

- Left inner pocket:
3. Bit holder with 11 hex bits and magnetic bit adapter, modified to fit all Victorinox Philips drivers and Juice Philips driver.

- Left inner tube
4. Victorinox ratchet (magnet mod)
5. Leatherman adapter
6. Hex powered tools adapter

- Back pocket
7. Diamond sharpening rod (holder removed)
8. Victorinox dual sharpener (cap removed)
9. Small leather coins purse with
a. a sewing kit with needles, curved leather needle, pins, safety pins, buttons, thread of different colors
b. cable wires
c. tough wire
d. Victorinox sharpening stone
e. Victorinox toothpick
f. Victorinox nylon string
g. two surgical blades
h. four band aids
i. two alcohol bands
j. some rubber bands
k. AAA battery
l. Victorinox mechanical pencil
m. IKEA pencil
n. IKEA paper measure tape
o. three Cybertool double bits and rubber band
p. three large needles
q. There's space for more. I think that a couple of paper clips and an office razor would be nice.

- Right tube
10. Leatherman Charge TTi

- Right inner pocket
11. Recta/ Victorinox Compass/spirit level/ thermometer/ ruler/ magnifying glass (forgot to take it out for the pic)

- Right inner tube
12. MiniMag Lite Solitaire LED flashlight (with S-binner and lanyard)

- Main pocket
13. Big BiC lighter in Georgia fancy container
14. Victorinox Swisschamp XLT with magnet modified Cybertool and magnetized fishhook remover
15. Opinel Couteaux de Jardin #8 (workhorse)
16. Victorinox red neck lanyard (helps the lighter and XLT to stand taller and can be used when working)

- Front pocket
17. XLT's elastic lanyard with two S-binners
18. Skinth business card

- Front dual pockets
19. two Leatherman bit kits.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:17:46 AM
One problem with the way I carry the CatchAll is that it is difficult to open the central flap (and to a lesser extend the side tube flaps) inside the bags. In order to have instant access to something it must be attached to the MOLLE straps. Since the most used item is the Opinel and it has no pocket clip, I use this configuration. I fix the side tube flaps (usually just the right one) under the central flap when it's closed and move the Charge to the MOLLE strap and Opinel to the right side tube. Voilà.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:57 AM
More options...

There are items that I don't EDC but occasionally might need. For example:
1. My Endura or other knife with pocket clip (I have two or three) can be carried on the MOLLE straps (pic)
2. Both side tubes fit 4.5" Multitools. I tested the Swisstool and Surge and they fit. In fact I can fit 4 Multitools (!!!) because the Spirit fits in the main compartment and the Charge in the MOLLE strap (with the Endura on the other one) and the only sacrifice is the BiC (but a small BiC fits also). Insane. Armed like a lobster we say in my country.
3. Instead of the XLT I might choose the Swisschamp, Pocket Toolchest or Juice Pro and free some space. Or fit two or three smaller SAKs, like my Harvester, Mountaineer, Spartan, Ritsartz Picnik etc. Or I could remove the BiC and put the Swisschamp XAVT!
4. Instead of the Opinel I might put something else (like another Opinel obviously, such as my Outdoor or an Electrician)
5. The front pocket is in fact empty. I can put in there my Executive or my Cadet or my Squirt S4 (no need to of course with all those tools I already have). But a Pocketwrench II or Piranha is what I am thinking of (I don't have either and I am ready to buy one, make me an offer). When I carry my Surge I can fit there my jigsaw blades holder of course.
6. I can put some more minor items in the purse. I already mentioned an office razor and paper clips but even some modeling blades can fit with their holder in one of the tubes. I might put some zip ties if I find where I put them. Hell! I might even put the Victorinox oil in there!
9. I didn't put pens and markers because I have them in every pen holder my bags have. But I tried them and they fit in several places.
8. Still, there's room for more. I think that Metro was very precise when he named that Skinth a CatchAll!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 02:37:10 PM
Hmmm... Looks good, and HEAVY  :tu: :tu:

Might want to add an adjustable spanner, though? Seems you have/could make room for a small one  ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 02:57:10 PM
A Crunch wouldn't do?

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 03:13:04 PM
Well, more than a regular MT, but not nearly as good as a real spanner ;)

I think you need both  :whistle: :pok: :pok:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 03:35:34 PM
Since my Bahco knife can't fit it the Skinth, a small Bahco adjustable wrench would do.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 04:09:48 PM
Since my Bahco knife can't fit it the Skinth, a small Bahco adjustable wrench would do.

Exactly  :tu: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 04:59:28 PM
I just love looking at what others carry.  Thank you for sharing yours and that catch all looks to be some piece of gear.  I'll take a closer look and see if I can add anything to your already capable carry system. 
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 10:14:14 AM
110x13mm seems a right size.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 10:33:15 AM
Watches? I always carry one and have just a few. I have an eye for two specific watches I might get someday. Just one of the two. My No 1 is Tissot T- Touch

And my No 2 is Suunto Core

Until then I EDC the last year a Sector that's very EDC friendly.

For outdoors (and right now) I use a Casio Protek

And I exchange them from time to time with my previous EDCs, an automatic mechanical watch called Follie Follie

A Swiss Military (very nice)

A watch my mother gave me

And a Reymond Weill, present of my wife 23 years ago

Rarely I carried this Soviet chain watch, mechanical and stainless steel with hunting engraving. Might EDC it when I grow older.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 11:18:07 AM
This is an accessory I bought recently, intended for electronics, adaptors and cables protection. It is big for its storage capacity but it provides a soft shield that might prove valuable if you know how our luggage are treated in airports. So I use it for travels and I have it with me right now (Easter vacations) and put my portable HDD in it.

Nice logo, huh?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 01:00:08 PM
I had an opportunity to test my tools' metal saws capability. This was a diamond file sharpening steel rod of 5mm diameter that stood tall in the Skinth at 14cm. I didn't like the slight protrusion of the flap as a result of it's height. So, just after the previous post I started cutting it with my files. I had no anvil with me, so I did it freehand on my knee. I used the Charge's TTi and Swisstool's Spirit file one after the other and finished with my Swisschamp's file because it is slimmer and I could fit it in the cut. I changed files every now and then to avoid overheat. It was easy at first but then the core of the rod was much harder. It was harder than expected but I guess that's reasonable because it is a file itself so it was hardened some way. The files show no wear visually after the task that took a whole hour. It is nice to know what my tools can do. I already used the files of my Swisschamp (the older type mostly) and my Surge (I didn't have it with me, otherwise I would have used the jigsaw metal files I have) but that was the toughest material I cut freehand so far. I guess I am capable of escaping a prison if they leave me to keep my Skinth with me!
Now the rod stands perfectly in the Skinth and I feel better.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 02:51:44 PM
Cool collection of watches you have. :hatsoff:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 04:17:15 PM
Can't  hide my joy and satisfaction!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 03:22:56 PM
Some refinements. The Skinth weights now 1.6kgr.

The left side tube is a nice place to fit the Victorinox metal clip. I occasionally use it for several purposes and in many occasions I regretted leaving it behind. Now it is always with me and I also like it.

The ring helps to open more easily and quickly the flap and also to hang the Skinth from somewhere, as already described and sawn on the outdoor picture in a previous post. A little black rubber band is there handy for several uses, making an improvised vice grip out of the Charge among them.

First I used a telescopic Rötring pen but this short CERN pen takes a regular Parker insert ang has the correct colors, red, black and silver (chrome). Situated in the Charge's side tube, easily moved in and out with the flap closed.

Added some pieces here and there, such as paper clips, a notepad, another easily accessible pencil, a plastic card holder with a business card (in case I'm unlucky enough to lose it and lucky enough somebody would send it back to me) and some more items in the leather wallet (cotton sticks, more surgical blades and alcohol pads etc). Also a couple of bookmarks that can be used as money clips also.
I think that it's full now. But a Pocketwrench or Piranha fit easily.
I still like to play with that Skinth.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 02:12:35 AM
Very well thought out and capable carry . I can see now that I need to standardize on fewer bags ( I currently use 5 - need to get it down to three . ATM , much of my EDC lives in cargo pockets , and belt pouches .

Chris

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:19 AM
Some refinements. The Skinth weights now 1.6kgr. ...

First I used a telescopic Rötring pen but this short CERN pen ....

Excuse me, I have a german OCD moment....  :rant: :viking: :poh:
Ah, better. It's Rotring (Red Ring), and I always get hung up on wrong umlauts, even if I don'T want to...

One question: 1,6kg, really? As EDC? I would try to cut this. One point: Why are you wearing two nearly identical Multitools (was it Surge & Spirit?)? Why not carry just one? Is there a logic besides 'I like them both' behind it?
(I don't know if I succeeded, but I don't want to bash you, I am seriously interested in an answer. And sorry for the umlaut moment)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 11:20:13 AM
Thank you. Standardization and organization is godsend.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 11:27:55 AM
@RT1969

Thank you for the ö correction.
I decided to try them both for some days/ weeks and decide which I like most. For the moment I like them equally. If I ever decide to leave one behind I'll be having a Greek OCD crisis of an empty Skinth pocket, you know, horror vacui.
1.6kgr is nothing for me. I mostly drive myself everywhere and in fact my work bag is lighter than ever (I used to carry around an older 15" laptop and an Archos AV500 or Archos 5 and a Palm or PocketPC and lots of documents. Now there's my iPhone and a WD Caviar portable HDD. My shoulder cries for some weight, it feels underestimated with a light load.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:58:21 AM by kkokkolis »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD