Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger PocketGrip Variations

J-sews · 54 · 17513

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Wenger PocketGrip Variations
on: March 19, 2007, 03:03:28 AM
When it was first announced at the 1998 Shot Show, this little tool from Wenger was called the MiniGrip. More closely resembling a Swiss Army Knife than any other multitool before or since, the MiniGrip was Wenger’s second foray into the multi-purpose plier arena. Its predecessor had been the gigantic SwissGrip, based upon the 120mm Ranger series of knives, which had been criticized as being too large and bulky. Hoping to address these accusations, Wenger condensed the features of the MiniGrip into a much smaller package.

For those unfamiliar with this unusual looking device, I suggest you check out DavidBinGA’s review of it HERE

As originally introduced, the MiniGrip had red cellidor scales (housing the characteristic SAK tweezers and toothpick, of course!) and could be obtained with either needlenose or blunt nose plier jaws. Other features and blades remain the same, with one notable exception…

Along with the two different plier-nose styles, there were also two styles of knife blades found on the PocketGrip. Most models I've seen came armed with a plain-edge spear point knife blade, but a fully serrated spear point blade is also available. Unfortunately, neither style locks open.

At some point within the first couple years of its existence, Wenger gave this little tool a new name, and the MiniGrip now became known as the Swiss PocketGrip. As near as I can determine, no other changes were made at this time except for the name.

Perhaps some folks had issues with the red cellidor scales being too fragile? Or perhaps Wenger was simply going for a more rugged look to appease the folks in Marketing. In any case, the next variation of their little multitool to appear was the Iron PocketGrip. It had handle scales of solid 1mm thick stainless sheet metal, which shed nearly 5mm off from the width of the entire tool. Slimmer and sleeker, the only downside to the Iron PocketGrip was the loss of the tweezers and toothpick compartments. (That, and it wasn’t RED anymore…..)

Now here is a subtle change; on all PocketGrips up to this point, the little serrated plier-lock tab, necessary on account of the tool’s spring-loaded plier jaws, was actuated with a sliding motion. At around the time of the Iron PocketGrip’s introduction, this slide-action lock was changed to a pivoting action. I believe the reason for this improvement can be found back in David’s review, where he rightly points out how easily the sliding lock can be accidentally tripped when using the bit driver.

I find the pivot-action lock to be much more secure.

With the exception of the Iron PocketGrip, all of the plier tools in this series seem decidedly on the wide and fat side. Most extreme in this regard was the next variation, called the Porsche Design Multitool. It is a whopping 12mm thicker than the already-plenty-wide red cellidor models, thanks mainly to its two handle scales of contoured Ruthenium (purplish-gray colored material from the platinum family).

On the plus side, the Porsche tool comes equipped with a tire-tread depth gage (excellent quality, but of dubious practical value) and a corkscrew, neither of which can be found on other PocketGrip models.

The most recent addition to the PocketGrip family is the 799 model, introduced in 2006. It features scales made of solid brushed aluminum, both of which are faceted in a sort of “octagon” style. Like the Iron PocketGrip with its stainless steel scales, the 799 does not have slots for tweezers or a toothpick. All other features however, remain the same.

Along with the introduction of the model 799, Wenger changed the model designation for all of the PocketGrip line last year. As can be seen above and at their website HERE, the Iron PocketGrip became the model 200, and the needlenose red cellidor version became the model 577. The blunt nose models no longer appear on the Wenger website.

Never very common, at least two of the variations shown above never even made it to the North American market. A quick check of the Wenger NA website shows only the Porsche tool available. And while there is no question that the MiniGrip/PocketGrip series of tools is not the most practical multitool design in history, the construction of these devices is typical of the stellar quality we’ve come to expect from Wenger.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:06:04 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Re: Wenger PocketGrip Variations
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 03:20:36 AM
Wow!  These reviews of yours keep me interested in learning more about multi-tools.  Really nicely done!

These little tools are not common. I’ve only handled a few, and so cannot say conclusively, but every one I’ve seen with needlenose pliers has a plain-edge spear point knife blade, and every one I‘ve seen with blunt nose pliers has a fully serrated blade. Perhaps this is just a coincidence, I don’t know for sure...

It's just a coincidence.  I have a blunt nose with a plain-edge spear point blade in the "multitool trade" section of these forums (http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,571.0.html).

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:22:54 AM
These little tools are not common. I’ve only handled a few, and so cannot say conclusively, but every one I’ve seen with needlenose pliers has a plain-edge spear point knife blade, and every one I‘ve seen with blunt nose pliers has a fully serrated blade. Perhaps this is just a coincidence, I don’t know for sure...

It's just a coincidence.  I have a blunt nose with a plain-edge spear point blade in the "multitool trade" section of these forums (http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,571.0.html).

Ahh! Thank you sir, I shall edit that portion of my post immediately.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:41:44 AM
Glad to have been of service.

You and the other multi-tool historians should write a book ...but post all the chapters here.  ;)
pg-blade.jpg
* pg-blade.jpg (Filesize: 97.74 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 01:02:41 PM
I do love that tool.  I've never been fond of the serrated blade on mine, or the way the bit holder is snapped in, but it still sees some use.

I need one of those metal ones.  Does the 799 have a more comfortable grip than the Iron model?
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:56:44 PM
.....I need one of those metal ones.  Does the 799 have a more comfortable grip than the Iron model?

It's kind of a trade-off. The narrowness of the Iron model fits my hand better, but the edges of the 799 are beveled and more comfortable to hold onto.

~Bob

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 06:45:06 PM
What a great review  :) I really like the iron ones .Another one to add to the growing list  ::)

Dunc

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:17:51 PM
I have the red handled blunt nose-serrated pocket grip.  I'm using it at work more than my XLT and OH-fireman :angel:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline plowboy

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 05:33:51 PM
Wow!  What a great review.

I really like these tools....wish I had one.  I guess they may be found outthere somewhere.

Thanks for this thread!

:)

Offline Anson Argyris

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 03:18:34 PM
Hi everybody. I'm new on this forum, and I have  two short questions regarding the Porsche design model:

Are there more tools on the Porsche design model than on the other Pocket Grips ?

Are You sure, that the scales are plastic ? I've read, Ruthenium is a metal akin to Platinum.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 03:22:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Anson!  If you like tools, this is the place to be...

WengerNA.com lists quite a few Porsche designed tools:

http://www.wengerna.com/browse/browse.jsp?cat_id=1&sub_cat_id=23

They've been running them for a few years now, but I can't comment on the handle material as they are all well out of my price range.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 12:42:35 AM
Hi everybody. I'm new on this forum, and I have  two short questions regarding the Porsche design model:

Are there more tools on the Porsche design model than on the other Pocket Grips ?

Are You sure, that the scales are plastic ? I've read, Ruthenium is a metal akin to Platinum.

Welcome. The handles are indeed Ruthenium which is from the Platinum family. They are awesome (I am fondling one right now). That is definitely one reason they are so expensive.
T

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 03:04:52 AM

Welcome. The handles are indeed Ruthenium which is from the Platinum family. They are awesome (I am fondling one right now). That is definitely one reason they are so expensive.

Thanks for the additional info guys. I went back and removed the plastic note from my original post.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 02:36:28 AM
About how much do they run for, that Porsche is actually the first Wenger I've seen that I liked, besides the big one, what's it's name? The Ultimate? :-X :-\
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 02:40:47 AM
The Giant is the unofficial name.  Officially it's called the Every Implement Tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 03:16:20 AM
About how much do they run for, that Porsche is actually the first Wenger I've seen that I liked, besides the big one, what's it's name? The Ultimate? :-X :-\

All of Wenger's Porsche tools fetch a high premium. Suggested retail on this model was $180.00 I believe.

Felinevet has one available for considerably less money than that HERE.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 04:43:44 AM
Well it's too late for that, but I couldn't have gotten it anyway. I only have about 50 US dollars, and once I go back to work this summer, I'm going to put all my money toward my next prize: a Victorinox SwissChamp XAVT.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 04:58:49 AM
Check with Felinevet (www.felinevet.sosakonline.com) for the XAVT.  I believe he has the best price to be found anywhere.

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 06:36:32 AM
It appears that this "Felinevet" man has the answer to pretty much everything.
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 10:30:41 AM
great review there mate!

add some of those to the list too, as for them being slip joints, thats a good thing in a lot off markets, like here in the UK
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:01 PM
Time for a bit of thread necromancy here, but this is an excellent round-up Bob, cheers matey. :tu: 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 02:20:32 AM
Glad you like it Gareth, I had forgotten about this one. :)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 05:13:34 PM
Time for a bit of thread necromancy here, but this is an excellent round-up Bob, cheers matey. :tu:

Good Job, I had not come across this one yet!!   :salute:

ps... luckily 'necromancy' was not really involved....

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:41 PM
Thought i would bump this great post back  :salute: got one of these now and its a interesting sak,a bit bulky but the bit driver is handy and the pliers look ok,great read bob  :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 08:32:50 PM
Agreed, and here is the review that J-Sews mentioned in his OP. The link got broken throughout the years of various updates.

REVIEW ON MAIN SITE

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 08:41:23 PM
Cheers for the link updated mate  :salute:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 05:36:18 AM
Thanks Zed! I must have missed your announcement elsewhere, which version did you get?  :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 09:25:28 AM
I got the needle nose version bob with push forward button  :salute: i do like it but wish the bit holder was a bit more secure,cool sak though  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 12:02:42 PM
Heres a pic  :salute:
13917708172431.jpg
* 13917708172431.jpg (Filesize: 101.91 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 02:04:07 PM
Nice! Yeah, it definitely has some room for improvement, but still is pretty nice. :tu: Does yours have the plain edge blade or the serrated?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%