Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Spirit is losing it's appeal...

665ae · 10 · 3265

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
The Spirit is losing it's appeal...
on: March 29, 2007, 07:32:40 PM
While the Swisstool Spirit is one of the best tools I've even owned/used, it has one drawback.  Over the last few weeks, this minor drawback has really blossomed into a major annoyance.  I just can't stand the knife blade anymore. 

I don't carry a dedicated blade because I feel my multitool should be able to handle anything I need to cut.  It's supposed to be a MULTI-tool, and have multiple uses.  Lately I've needed to make a lot of cuts that require either poking a hole first, or just doing a pressure cut with very little room to use a sawing motion.  Plus, the other day I was trying to cut some tape with the sawing motion, and nearly cut my finger off  :P

I really like the Spirits finish and how the tools open and close so smoothly without any clumping at all.  Are there any tools comparable to the Spirit in size/weight/finish that have a drop or clip point non serrated blade? 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 07:35:15 PM by 665ae »
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The Spirit is losing it's appeal...
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 08:41:54 PM
The Spirit S model has a standard SAK type drop point blade.

The Spirit also has an awl to poke things with so you don't use the point of the blade!  I guarantee you that a cheap awl will always do a better job of poking a hole in something than the best blades will, and I think that was what Victorinox had in mind when they decided to include a sheepsfoot blade. 

I have considered grinding off the serrations, but the one I have now is kind of a special one, so maybe I will wait until I get another one.  I bet that removing the serrations would make it into a wicked straight razor!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:47:43 PM
Reprofile the blade.
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:21 PM
I took the serrations my blade, then I kinda wish I left them on.  I have used the awl to first start the hole and then use the knife blade to finish the cut many times with no problems. 
Picture 1165 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1165 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 54.73 KB)
"

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:33:04 AM
I agree with Def.  The awl is a great poking tool.  In my personal experience I have never had a problem with cutting with the spirit blade or any sheepsfoot blade for that matter.  When cutting I draw the blade while pushing down to make a cut.  I have had no problem getting a hole started as long as I push in with enough force to get through the material that I am cutting.  I usually dont punch holes with a blade anyway unless I am stabbing someone or ah I mean somthing, yeah, thats right. :) 

Offline shecky

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 07:58:46 AM
I love the blade on the Spirit. I wish they made a Bantam or Waiter with that blade!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 10:57:42 AM
As has been said before you could go for an "S" model . But the sheepsfoot blade does have its goodsides .For me I'm not sure I like the idea of just carrying a multitool and no other knife , a SAK carried along with you Spirit would cover most things .Have you not ever needed to hold something with the pliers and cut it ? Same with the screwdriver , I have often held something in the pliers and used a SAKs screwdriver to hold/turn the screw on the other end .

Dunc

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:44:54 PM
The one big negative about most multi-tools on the market is the asthetics.  Folded up, it looks like a small metal box.
 At least the Wenger mini-pocket grip,has character!!!(note: this is one of the few Wenger SAKs I actually like!! & I hope they make an evo-grip model of it soon)

I screams out:"HEY EVERYBODY!!!  Look at my ENDOWMENT!!!!" O0 :angel: :grin:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 05:36:45 PM
As has been said before you could go for an "S" model . But the sheepsfoot blade does have its goodsides .For me I'm not sure I like the idea of just carrying a multitool and no other knife , a SAK carried along with you Spirit would cover most things .Have you not ever needed to hold something with the pliers and cut it ? Same with the screwdriver , I have often held something in the pliers and used a SAKs screwdriver to hold/turn the screw on the other end .

Dunc

I use my multi a lot at work.  I work as a mechanic, so if I really need to hold and turn something I can just grab the tools out of my tool box.  Other than that, no... when I'm at home, I haven't had the need to hold/turn or hold/cut anything that I can remember. 

Also, as I said above, in my opinion I shouldn't have to carry something else.  I think my multi should handle just about everything I need it for.  So far, the Spirit has handled everything.  The knife blade is just getting annoying.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 05:00:39 AM
I get the idea.  It is a blade but it ISNT A BLADE like you are used to.  I had the same thoughts before I bought my spirit but after using it exclusively in the past few weeks and shape aside it works great for what I use it for.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%