Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ALox knives, I don't get it.

jzmtl · 73 · 6586

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
ALox knives, I don't get it.
on: March 28, 2009, 12:14:17 AM
Local shop is having a tax free sale, so I went to pick up a 07 soldier. Sure it's nice and all that, but not really any better than the non-alox ones. The main blade is a tad beefier, but honestly I didn't notice that till I compared it with non-alox, and only did it because the fact was mentioned here. Scale is thinner, but not by much, and you loose many functions. Alox tool selection is poor compare with non-alox, the end mounted awl is probably the only advantage, and its usefulness is debatable to most people. Yes the scale is more scratch resistant, that's probably the only advantage I can think of.

So why is alox so popular?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: ALox knives, I don't get it.
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:16:19 AM
Personally, I think the added heft of the tools is more noticable than you make out.  Overall, the Alox package feels more refined IMO and far more solid.
I'm back!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 12:21:34 AM
I thought the Alox thing was crap......till i picked up my cadet...my sweet sweet cadet. Now it's Alox collectin' time!

It does feel like you have something well built doesn't it?
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 12:22:45 AM
I'm okay with plastic, but I like all-metal better. 8)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:32:51 AM
I thought the Alox thing was crap......till i picked up my cadet...my sweet sweet cadet. Now it's Alox collectin' time!

It does feel like you have something well built doesn't it?

Not particularly to be honest. The scale is more solid (well obviously compare to hollow plastic) but other than that not any more than non-alox.

To me the little gain is not worth it to give up all the tools on a non-alox knife. Just last weekend I used the hook to haul around plastic shopping bags while walking around downtown, would've been out of luck if I had an alox.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:41:53 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:41:18 AM
I'm okay with plastic, but I like all-metal better. 8)

That's what I was gonna say :tu: I like the look of it they seem fancier to me :D

Also on the 93mm ones the tools are beefier than on the 91mm SAKs

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:55:03 AM
Sure,you lose a lot of tools and functions with the current crop of Alox knives,however the robust feel of the Alox SAKs just inspire confidence in the tool,and there are situations when confidence in your equipment makes a difference.
I

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 01:00:37 AM
Sure,you lose a lot of tools and functions with the current crop of Alox knives,however the robust feel of the Alox SAKs just inspire confidence in the tool,and there are situations when confidence in your equipment makes a difference.

+1  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 01:06:47 AM

+1  :tu:

+2

Don't forget that Alox was tested, chosen, and adopted by the Swiss Army for a very good reason, they're overbuild.  :cheers:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 01:15:44 AM
For me, the Alox knives are in a different league.

1.  They have a sense of formality.  It's a combination of the weight and the sense of tradition that a knife with no modern materials has.  (Same applies for other hand tools).

2.  They have a sense of simplicity and efficiency.  

3.  There is an artistic flare to them in part to the clean, uninterrupted lines.

However, the standard cellidor SAKs have a functionality that Alox SAKs don't have.  They are more utilitarian in design and appearance.

At least to me, the all metal construction of Leathermans is one of the things about them that makes them so appealing; it's a merging of the functionality and traditional hand tools/construction.  Putting plastic inserts into a Leatherman would aesthetically kill it for me.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 01:17:11 AM

1.  They have a sense of formality.  It's a combination of the weight and the sense of tradition that a knife with no modern materials has.  (Same applies for other hand tools).

3.  There is an artistic flare to them in part to the clean, uninterrupted lines.

However, the standard cellidor SAKs have a functionality that Alox SAKs don't have.  They are more utilitarian in design and appearance.

At least to me, the all metal construction of Leathermans is one of the things about them that makes them so appealing; it's a merging of the functionality and traditional hand tools/construction.  Putting plastic inserts into a Leatherman would aesthetically kill it for me.

Not a fan of the Blast, Fuse, Kick, or Core then? ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 01:17:34 AM
I like alox knives because of the scratch resistance and the silver colour.
(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:18:58 AM

Nope.  Wave, PST, SuperTool.  The plasticy liner thingies, look sorta gimmicky to me.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 01:19:12 AM
Oh no I don't agree there jzmtl.

The "solidness" you refer to is really important to me, along with the heft of the tools. Granted - the thickness in the blade may be quite subtle on the smaller Alox knives, but look at something like a Farmer, and it's significantly more heavy duty.

Then there's the appearance - for me the Alox looks far superior to the plastic. It's a lesser factor, but if you've got the choice - why not go for the sexier looking scales?  8)
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 01:19:44 AM

Nope.  Wave, PST, SuperTool.  The plasticy liner thingies, look sorta gimmicky to me.

Have you tried them for comfort though? They work.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 01:22:06 AM

Nope.  PST with leather work gloves or use my Wave.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 01:23:29 AM
Alox scales cannot be replaced unlike plastic, showing signs of use through the years of use. Also Alox SAKs come in diffrent beautiful colors  :D.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 01:25:00 AM
Alox scales cannot be replaced unlike plastic, showing signs of use through the years of use. Also Alox SAKs come in diffrent beautiful colors  :D.

Alox SAK's look better with age!  :tu:

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:14 AM

:tu: :tu: GG :cheers:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:46 AM

+1

Plastic just gets looking tatty...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 01:29:22 AM
I actually just realised that the only SAKs I have with the plastic still on them are my only two Wengers - one that NKB gave me at the meet last year, and one I received in a trade this morning. The new one has a picture of the Alps on the scales. Either that or Cannock Chase anyway  :P

Nope.  PST with leather work gloves or use my Wave.

That seems fair enough - if however you don't have Leather gloves handy - you'd be grateful for the Zytel liners. They aren't just a gimmick - they do make a real difference.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 01:35:04 AM

That seems fair enough - if however you don't have Leather gloves handy - you'd be grateful for the Zytel liners. They aren't just a gimmick - they do make a real difference.

I suppose you're right.  To me, the redesign to the Wave configuration is a better solution, with less chance of "failure" (peeling off, for example), although I admit, applying the liners is probably a less costly solution.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 01:40:43 AM

I suppose you're right.  To me, the redesign to the Wave configuration is a better solution, with less chance of "failure" (peeling off, for example), although I admit, applying the liners is probably a less costly solution.

There's been much discussion about the Zytel on here, but I'm yet to hear of any failure of them. They've been around for 5 years now, so if there was any inherent problem - I'm sure we'd have heard about it by now.

I use my Core a lot (have I mentioned that before :D) and I use it hard. I've not seen any problem with it so far!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 01:45:36 AM
I like the zytel as well, and I'm sure Kwakster said quite recently that he hadn't seen any issues with it.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 01:49:15 AM
I like the zytel as well, and I'm sure Kwakster said quite recently that he hadn't seen any issues with it.

Yep I remember him saying that as well :tu: I love the all metal LM as well they are my preference but I can't complain 1 bit about the Zytel handle inserts I have used my Blast a lot and my Core quite a bit and haven't had any failures with the plastic :) but I have had good luck with LM in general :cheers:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 01:49:32 AM

Well he would know - he only sees what goes bad!

Sorry to hijack your thread jzmtl. I suppose the Alox thing is just a personal preference thing.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 01:51:42 AM
I guess it comes down to that I'm almost always function over appearance, so I'd prefer the functionality of 91mm over alox.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 01:52:43 AM
What's not to love here?  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 01:52:58 AM
I guess it comes down to that I'm almost always function over appearance, so I'd prefer the functionality of 91mm over alox.

It's not just the appearance though, it's the whole structure of the SAK.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 01:53:34 AM
What's not to love here?  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Oooooooooooooooooooooo!  Nice!!  :drool: :gimme:
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30