Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ALox knives, I don't get it.

jzmtl · 73 · 6590

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: ALox knives, I don't get it.
Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 01:55:59 AM
What's not to love here?  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Oooooooooooooooooooooo!  Nice!!  :drool: :gimme:

Column four, row two for me! :drool:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:15 AM
Are the blue ones all Farmers GG?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:42 AM
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 02:00:36 AM

Yes, but the middle one has scissors.  :tu:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:06:26 AM by Gadget Guy »

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 02:00:55 AM
I guess it comes down to that I'm almost always function over appearance, so I'd prefer the functionality of 91mm over alox.

It's not just the appearance though, it's the whole structure of the SAK.

But what advantage does the whole structure of alox have over cellidor?

I thought about EDCing the soldier instead of delux tinker, but I'm just not willing to give up the scissor, hook, or phillips driver. :-\
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:03:13 AM by jzmtl »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: March 28, 2009, 02:04:15 AM

Yes, but the middle one has scissors!

Oh - is that a modded one then? Sorry - I don't keep up with SAKs, I just picked a few I liked (including a blue Farmer as it happens).

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 28, 2009, 02:05:46 AM

Yes, but the middle one has scissors!

Oh - is that a modded one then? Sorry - I don't keep up with SAKs, I just picked a few I liked (including a blue Farmer as it happens).

Dave, sorry my friend, I didn't mean to add (!!!!) LOL!!!  :cheers:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: March 28, 2009, 02:12:21 AM
You've lost me now GG :D

Anyhoo - bottom right hand corner - blue one - is that smooth alox finish? I do quite like those too - but the pattern on the Farmers etc is best IMO.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 02:22:49 AM
I like the zytel as well, and I'm sure Kwakster said quite recently that he hadn't seen any issues with it.

Good to hear.  :tu:  Once again LM shows themselves to be high quality.

And GG:

:gimme:

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 28, 2009, 02:26:17 AM
As usual, this is an "each to his own" question. I agree with every one of the positive comments for Alox that have been made. If I had to choose just one (luckily I don't) I would pick Alox hands down.
T

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 04:25:31 AM
There's nothing wrong with preferring cellidor. I love 'em all!  :D

Having said that, I am in love with alox at the moment, and here's why.

I really do notice the difference in width. The Cadet is simply amazing for pocket carry, but even the Farmer seems to sit in the pocket much better to me.

The minimal tool compliment serves me just fine on the average day. I never really used the T&T anyway.

I do miss a couple of the back tools a little, but I can easily make do without. I usually have a multitool in my bag anyway.

The only tool that I really miss is scissors. I imagine that's no surprise to anyone here...  :P

Like others, I also feel like the entire construction is more robust. It just feels very solid in the hand.

And lastly, I simply think alox looks extremely cool.  :tu:
[

us Offline bren10man

Reply #41 on: March 28, 2009, 07:11:06 AM
What's not to love here?  :D

I do not see a First Mate in that collection.  Are you on felinevet's list? :oops:

BTW: felinevet- check e-mail.  Two packages of goodies sent to you today!!!! :mail: :gimme: :drool:
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #42 on: March 28, 2009, 07:52:56 AM
Another Alox fan here. What's not to like? Especially ones with brass  :D
Gabba gabba hey!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 08:03:10 AM
Well, I decided I'll carry it for a bit and see. The main blade is disappointing as it's not sharp out of box, and must've been sharpened at 50° at factory, with uneven grind on both side.  :( But it's nothing I can't fix, it's now shaving sharp and ready for work.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #44 on: March 28, 2009, 04:58:41 PM
I found this quote, "The scales survive longer than their cellidor counterparts and the tools are thicker and heavier duty so they work harder and longer." http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=35 and had to prove DEF wrong. What a slippery slope I discovered.

I was perfectly happy with my little Camper, now after I have carried ALOX (Pioneer series not a fan of the Cadet even though it feels more rugged then the celliod scales its not as bullet proof feeling as the Pioneer series) Sorry cadet fans. I don't even like the feel of the celliod scales now.

I only have interest in two celliod models:

1) A red static classic, because it's cool looking, a gift from the wife and I like having the scirrors, T & T. 

2) The OHT it takes care of my OH need ( really not a need but a want) and I love that locking screwdriver
I think you could pry open a vault with it (don't take it though armed guards may shoot you).

I could have saved myself a lot of money if I read DEF's article first.    :pok:

toIt  one  (IMHO Bullet Proof ffimcja

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 28, 2009, 07:08:29 PM

I do not see a First Mate in that collection.  Are you on felinevet's list? :oops:

BTW: felinevet- check e-mail.  Two packages of goodies sent to you today!!!! :mail: :gimme: :drool:

Wahoo!  :climber: Those of you waiting for 1st. Mates should be getting yours now or in the next shipment. It will take a bit since many of you are International but I will get on it as soon as the packages arrive from John. Watch your emails because I will be contacting you for payment soon.  Thanks John, great job!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:13:46 PM by felinevet »
T

Offline skydan

Reply #46 on: March 30, 2009, 12:11:49 AM
A Vic Soldier '08 turned up at the weekend. My first chunky alox! Now I can see what all the fuss is about. I hadn't realised that the tools themselves were actually beefier than the 91mm cellidor models. Even the bottle opener is chunkier - much like the chunky one on some of the 111mm models. The metal handles allow the overall knife to be slimmer which is always a good thing. I do like the end-on awl.

I can see the missing tools are a negative point though - the corkscrew is an essential camping item :drink: Nope. I'm sold. Now if only I can get a Harvester perhaps it will encourage me to do some gardening...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: March 30, 2009, 01:40:33 AM
Am I the only other person that prefers cellidor?  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Alox but I do feel they are lacking as EDC tools.  Sitting in front of me I have my Sportsman, in a two layer knife (like the Pioneer) I have as extras: toothpick, tweezers, nail-file, corkscrew, sewing eye and spaces to hold both the micro-driver and pin.  That's seven extra functions!  But that's just one knife, you also have to look at the vast range of tool that are simple not available in the alox range, far to many to list here.   I also find the cellidor much more tactile and pleasing in the hand, I will concede however that is a personal choice.

As to the extra "beefiness" I have never found the cellidor knives lacking.  Who here has managed to break one?  Or perhaps tried to do something with Alox they wouldn't have done with a Cellidor?  I know you can break a cellidor SAK (I have seen plenty) but it is possible to break any tool.

As I say I truly have nothing against Alox (and own several), but like jzmtl I just don't understand the passion that some folks have for them.  All this goes to show is that the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.  Not to mention it would give us little to chat about here.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 02:34:20 AM
I did notice one advantage of alox soldier, they are easy to clean and dry so better suited for food use, which I'm always hesitant to use cellidors (hard to clean/dry under scale) or tac folders (wash away pivot lube).

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 03:15:52 AM
Am I the only other person that prefers cellidor?  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Alox but I do feel they are lacking as EDC tools.  Sitting in front of me I have my Sportsman, in a two layer knife (like the Pioneer) I have as extras: toothpick, tweezers, nail-file, corkscrew, sewing eye and spaces to hold both the micro-driver and pin.  That's seven extra functions!  But that's just one knife, you also have to look at the vast range of tool that are simple not available in the alox range, far to many to list here.   I also find the cellidor much more tactile and pleasing in the hand, I will concede however that is a personal choice.

As to the extra "beefiness" I have never found the cellidor knives lacking.  Who here has managed to break one?  Or perhaps tried to do something with Alox they wouldn't have done with a Cellidor?  I know you can break a cellidor SAK (I have seen plenty) but it is possible to break any tool.

As I say I truly have nothing against Alox (and own several), but like jzmtl I just don't understand the passion that some folks have for them.  All this goes to show is that the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.  Not to mention it would give us little to chat about here.  :D

I understand and appreciate where you're coming from.The Alox line eveolved from a knife that's a part of a soldier's kit,and most troopers are going to be either service types that have access to a full toolbox,or grunts whose equipment is generally designed to be low maintenance in the field.
I

Offline skydan

Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 03:21:59 AM
I did notice one advantage of alox soldier, they are easy to clean and dry so better suited for food use, which I'm always hesitant to use cellidors (hard to clean/dry under scale) or tac folders (wash away pivot lube).

Good point. I use a 108mm Solo as a camp kitchen knife for ease of cleaning. After all if we knew what kind of gunk accumulated under the scales would we put the toothpick anywhere near our mouths? On the other hand it's one way to build up an immunity. ;)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 03:45:14 AM

I understand and appreciate where you're coming from.The Alox line eveolved from a knife that's a part of a soldier's kit,and most troopers are going to be either service types that have access to a full toolbox,or grunts whose equipment is generally designed to be low maintenance in the field.

Yes.  I also thought the cellidor scaled ones were the "Officer's Knife" the Alox was the "Soldier's Knife".   :think:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:31 AM

Yes.  I also thought the cellidor scaled ones were the "Officer's Knife" the Alox was the "Soldier's Knife".   :think:
You're right.They stem from the days when an officer would sit back at HQ,and tell his unit; "Go take that hill,and I'll be back here to pop the cork to toast your success." :D
I

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 05:23:55 AM
Other than the Alox Classic SD that I EDC on my keychain, all of my other Alox SAKs (08 Soldier, Red Cadet, Bantam II) are currently for the collection.

I'm not really keen on the worn look coloured Alox SAKs get, and was actually quite annoyed when the colour on my Blue Alox Classic started to wear after only a month in my pocket.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 06:15:17 AM
Am I the only other person that prefers cellidor?  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Alox but I do feel they are lacking as EDC tools.

I too greatly prefer cellidor over Alox SAKs.

I started carrying a SAK over 25 years ago because it offered MORE functionality when compared to the Case and Camillus knives I'd been carrying.

Why would I switch to an Alox model offering LESS functionality?

If I wanted a knife with less functionality, I'd go back to carrying a Case.  I like the looks of the traditional Case Camper or Scout pocket knives better than most SAKs.  And Case offers a pretty big variety of scales from the factory.

Lately I try to avoid any aluminum items for pocket carry.  Even hard anodizing wears off eventually when rubbing up against keys, coins, etc.  Knives, flashlights, lighters - nearly any aluminum item will look battered after a few months of carry in my pockets.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 12:52:43 PM
Other than the Alox Classic SD that I EDC on my keychain, all of my other Alox SAKs (08 Soldier, Red Cadet, Bantam II) are currently for the collection.

I'm not really keen on the worn look coloured Alox SAKs get, and was actually quite annoyed when the colour on my Blue Alox Classic started to wear after only a month in my pocket.

I think that worn alox looks superb.  Especially red.  :drool:
I'm back!!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 11:42:26 PM
A sheath or pouch for your alox will keep it away from those nasty keys and looking nice.

R

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #57 on: March 31, 2009, 06:09:48 AM
True. 

I did pick up a Kershaw nylon sheath recently to carry my SAKs (liked it better than the Vic pouches).

us Offline Pacu

Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 12:34:42 AM
A sheath or pouch for your alox will keep it away from those nasty keys and looking nice.

Nice sheath :D  Where do i pick up one of those?
:like:    :MTO:

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 08:01:31 AM
Those were being sold by "knuckleduster" on EDC forums a while back.
It is actually a wallet, with a sheath in the front,
along with another compartment that fits an iPhone perfectly (which was a pretty neat trick, since he made them before the iPhone was released).

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:03:02 AM by AndyTiedye »
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69