Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK versus more expensive slipjoints

Guest · 16 · 4061

Magic Bus

SAK versus more expensive slipjoints
on: April 02, 2009, 08:51:30 PM
Here's a thought for you all. Is the humble (in money terms) SAK the very best slipjoint knife regardless of cost? I'm beginning to think that it is. I recently bought a secondhand Fallkie U1, thinking I was buying a knife superior to the SAK, a knife I would treasure to the end of my days. I know we all have to try these things, but the U1 is less versatile, no sharper, less comfortable in carry and use, it doesen't snap open or closed like a SAK and have you seen how much these go for new  :o  I'm really trying to like the Fallkie for it's superior steel but I am struggling  ::)

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Re: SAK versus more expensive slipjoints
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:24:55 PM
They do seem incredibly good value for money. Maybe its because their made in large quantities by companies that have over a century of experience - and with so many people making copies of their product I don't suppose they can afford to let their quality slip.
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Buzzbait

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:31:49 PM
I can only think of a few good reasons to choose a slipjoint other than a SAK.

1. You need a different blade steel - You might want carbon steel for whittling, as it may take a more polished edge, and will respond better to quick stropping. You may want a steel with better edge holding. You won't find a decent blade that is more stainless than a SAK.

2. You need a different blade shape. Most slipjoint blades are based on designs for specific duties, such as the dreaded spey blade. I do prefer a very pointy wharncliffe for certain jobs, and a sheepsfoot for others. But for general use, the SAK spear point seems like a fine compromise.

3. You want a different handle material - Let's face it. Off the shelf SAKs don't exactly have a huge variety of scale materials.

Personally, the SAK is about the only slipjoint that I carry anymore. From a strictly utilitarian perspective, it is a much better pocket knife than the competition. Most slipjoints have far inferior fit and finish to a SAK, and they have far fewer useful tools. Even some customs that I've handled had inferior fit to a SAK. I do have a bone handled Robeson wharncliffe whittler for whittling, and also a carbon steel Schrade Middleman that gets used for whittling. Other than those specific tasks, I'm SAK all the way. The rest of my slipjoints just gather dust.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:35:33 PM
Yep, ounce for ounce a SAK is the best value out there. It has more utility than a blade/blades only slipjoint, quality and consistency are second to none, you simply cannot beat the price.

Though I do carry 3 blade stockman slipjoints, I always have a SAK nearby. LOL!
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Magic Bus

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:06:35 PM
Yep it looks like the Swiss know what they're doing and how to do it.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:18:56 PM
I think for general edc, nothing rival's the humble Sak :tu:

But if you are intending to do an awful lot of cutting, then a decent slippie with premium steel can be worth it's weight in gold :)

I'd be interested in your thought's on the U1, as it's a knife I'm really interested in :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Magic Bus

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:22:07 PM
I'll try it for a while and then I'll send it to you so you can have a try too  :)

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:18 PM
I'll try it for a while and then I'll send it to you so you can have a try too  :)
That's very decent of you mate :) I'd really appreciate that :)

Offline MacTech

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:35:16 PM
I just recently got into "higher end" slipjoints, and none of my small collection has the walk-and-talk of the humble SAK

Case Med Stockman, Pocketworn red bone and SS blades; roughly half the "snap" of any of my SAKs, however it does seem to get a hair sharper than the Vic steel, the sheepfoot blade has minor opening scrapes from the spey blade though, a cosmetic annoyance, nothing more

Case Trapper, yellow Derlin and CV steel; this one comes *close* to the walk-and-talk of my SAKs, plus the Chrome Vanadium carbon-steel blades take a truly wicked edge, hold it for a good long while, and are dead easy to resharpen to Scary/Monomolecular sharp

Case Peanut in red bone SS; this Case is the closest to Victorinox in walk-and-talk, plus it has half-stops, which I kinda' like, makes this tiny little blade feel all the more precise, nice crisp opening and a good, crisp snap closed, I just wish I had bought the CV version

Boker Whittler in jigged antler bone (gray) and carbon-steel; I just got this one  a few days ago, love the carbon-steel, yet it has the same walk-and-talk as the Case Stockman, about half of the SAK

Don't get me wrong, these are all great slippies, no bladeplay, no looseness or rattling, they are tight and precise, they just lack the infamous Victorinox "Snap"

I think I may pick up just one more traditional slippie, a CV Peanut, I love that pattern, slips unobtrusively into any pocket, so small you forget you have it with you, yet it has big cutting power, once I get a CV Peanut, I think I'll be set for traditionals, and I'll retire the SS Peanut

If Victorinox would only make a carbon-steel bladed SAK, that would be *perfect*, and it would be my ideal SAK, either a Cybertool 34, Alox Soldier or a Champion with carbon-steel blades (heck, even just the main blade and I'd be happy) and I could retire all but my Peanut, the Peanut goes everywhere with me because it takes up so little space, heck, I could even fit it in my wallet if need be

I don't know how Victorinox does it, but their slipjoints are absolutely stellar, incredible bang-for-the-buck

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:37:27 PM
Couldn't agree more mate :tu:

BTW does Case still use CV steel ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 11:05:26 PM
I will have to agree that the SAK is very well money spent and a true value in a knife :cheers: For the price of a reg 3 or 4 blade slippie you can get a SAK with at least 2 blades and a whole slew of extras :tu: Just a great knife :D

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:44:34 AM

:tu: :tu: With the agreeing with you

And yes Case still uses CV steel I just saw their 09 catalog.

As far as bang for the buck you can't bet SAKs, for the price of an Spyderco Endura 4 you can buy 4 Vic OH Sentinal. :ahhh

But the flip side is sometimes I favor the traditional style.  My favorite knife pattern is Stockman but my favorite knife is SAKs.

Does that make sense? ???

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 01:25:23 AM
Classic slip joints kinda fall a bit flat when ya need to tighten a philips , open a can or pop the top on an imported brewski ! I cant say I do a lot of castrations ( spey blade ) or whittling on an average day . If I want something slim and elegant for dress I'll go with a Cadet . If I go with some uber premium steel blade , I'll probably also want a lock .

Chris

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 03:19:58 AM
Unfortunately, Case is laying people off .... http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09091/959763-100.stm  :(

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:49 PM
Unfortunately, Case is laying people off .... http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09091/959763-100.stm  :(

Mike
Sad news that :(

Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 07:25:43 PM

:tu: :tu: With the agreeing with you

And yes Case still uses CV steel I just saw their 09 catalog.

As far as bang for the buck you can't bet SAKs, for the price of an Spyderco Endura 4 you can buy 4 Vic OH Sentinal. :ahhh

But the flip side is sometimes I favor the traditional style.  My favorite knife pattern is Stockman but my favorite knife is SAKs.

Does that make sense? ???
I'll have to have look then :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41