Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade/Vise-Grip 6LC Toolbox

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Schrade/Vise-Grip 6LC Toolbox
on: April 04, 2009, 06:26:17 AM
I have had 1/2 an eye out on a Vise-Gripe 6LC ToolBox. They do not come up for sale very often. A couple of months a go I was going to buy a 'Buy it now' one for around $20us but it got snaffled whilst I waited for a shipping quote  :(. The one I did get was a new in clam shell one for buy it now $15us & reasonable shipping to OZ listed  :o :D. An identical one went for $50us in an auction. I get the impression that a lot of them got sold at clearance prices , hence the 'cheap buy it now' ones that come up  :think:

My one is a little bit cool as it has a leather sheath(apparently a special offer). The sheath looks like it is based on a knife sheath & is quite bulky , but cool non the less.

Compared to LM Core
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302449.jpg[/img]]

The tool box is a small Vise grip tool but a large Multitool  :think: :D :D :D

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302443.jpg[/img]]
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302450.jpg[/img]]
                                                                                                                            Looks like a stubby gun barrel  :D

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302451.jpg[/img]]
                                                                                                                              Tool bit holder with supplied double ended bit.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302454.jpg[/img]]
                                                  Interesting how Schrade always put serrations on their phillips heads  :think:(this is a different pattern to what is on their fixed drivers)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302445.jpg[/img]]
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302444.jpg[/img]]
                                  What happens when you do not use double ended bits  :oops: Core came to the rescue as the Toolbox also has a magnet to hold bits in.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302455.jpg[/img]]
                                                    The single bit solution  :D . If I keep using the Charter membership tool in my photos I am hopping Def will give me a discount on my renewal  :D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302456.jpg[/img]]
                                                                                                                                         The main blade.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302457.jpg[/img]]
                                                                                                                                          'Scrapper' with wire stripper.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302448.jpg[/img]]
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/Toolbox/S6302446.jpg[/img]]

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Re: Schrade/Vise-Grip 6LC Toolbox
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:04:40 AM
Good overview of the tool!
[

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:25:24 AM
nice :tu: too bad i havent get my charter membership tool :(
A

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:58:40 PM
Travis was at the PO this week- if wasn't on it's way before this, I am certain it is on it's way now!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:10:49 PM
Travis was at the PO this week- if wasn't on it's way before this, I am certain it is on it's way now!

Def

thanks mate :tu:
A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:20:09 PM
Hmmm, odd that mine has a different main blade than yours Mat:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 05:30:41 PM
My ones SPECIAL  :pok: :D :D

It has surprised me the 4 Schrade MT's I own (ST1 Tough Tool, 6TC , 6LC & Navitool) I have found no identical tool bits shared across the range(possibly one :think:). Can not have been cost effective  :think: :think:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:34:19 PM
Yah, I know what you mean. There is even considerable differences in blade selection on my ST1's, even though three of them were made in the same factory within just a few years span :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 05:44:22 PM
No surprise really then , that Schrade went belly up.

Bob have you got one of those leather sheaths  :pok: :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 06:14:47 PM

And of course while the rest of us have never heard of it before, bob already have one.  ::)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:11:18 PM

Leather?? :think:  I'd say those cows were fed a diet rich in paperboard and other corrugated nutrients :P :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 08:15:51 PM
My ones SPECIAL  :pok: :D :D

It has surprised me the 4 Schrade MT's I own (ST1 Tough Tool, 6TC , 6LC & Navitool) I have found no identical tool bits shared across the range(possibly one :think:). Can not have been cost effective  :think: :think:

Ahhh. Found your same knife on the little cousin 5WR. :)  The entire "multitool" handle of both models looks identical. They must have interchanged them between the two.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:16:36 PM

And of course while the rest of us have never heard of it before, bob already have one.  ::)

You're just jealous :pok: :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:17:08 PM
Nice tool.  

I particularly like the jaw shape of the visegrip.  I have a larger version of those jaws I use on stubborn oil filters.  Good for welding projects too.  :salute:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 03:16:38 AM

Leather?? :think:  I'd say those cows were fed a diet rich in paperboard and other corrugated nutrients :P :D

(Image removed from quote.)

But Bob it says Limited Leather sheath on the packet  ::) :D :D :D

Another interesting thing that was on the listing description that looked like it may of come from the manufacture was this ;

Technical Details

Adjustable locking pliers with large 2-inch capacity
Knife blade locks at 180 degrees
Powerful wire cutter will also cut up to 1/4-inch bolts
Magnetic insert bit holder locks at 90-degree and 180-degree
Knife blade with smooth and serrated edges

Bob do you mind seeing if yours cuts 1/4-inch bolts  :pok: :D
I could not find this technical info any ware on the packaging or instructions that came with the tool. Have you come across the bolt cutting info Bob.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 03:38:03 AM
No, there doesn't appear to be info about cutting bolts anywhere. ???

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 03:41:43 AM
I will ask the seller if he could tell me were he got the info.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 03:50:51 AM
Maybe he meant 1/2 WIRE ???
[

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 08:42:00 PM
What a great tool! I have 2 pairs of Irwin vise grips and rate them highly - I didn't know they used to make multitools :ahhh.  Do the blades lock or are they slipjoints? 
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 09:27:02 PM
What a great tool! I have 2 pairs of Irwin vise grips and rate them highly - I didn't know they used to make multitools :ahhh.  Do the blades lock or are they slipjoints? 

The blades lock, using the same principle as the Schrade Tough Tools. (the little locking notch on the blade could easily be ground away though if you are needing a slippy)

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 10:00:49 PM
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 03:35:08 PM
MultiMat, Vice-Grips odd looking multi tools are very cool. I love mine my kids bought me mine for fathers day in the early 90s. Mine have the standard Vice Grip jaws i am always on the look out for a Toolbox 6LC.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 06:10:18 PM
Here is a cool Vice-Grip link http://www.47d.org/vise-grips/
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 06:53:24 PM
Here is a cool Vice-Grip link http://www.47d.org/vise-grips/
Mike

Incredible. ::) An entire website devoted exclusively to information about fancy pliers. ::) What next??

:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 02:53:50 AM
That is a cool tool MM :o :tu: I must have 1 now :ahhh

:twak: Great thanks for showing me something else I think I need :pok: :D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 03:08:50 AM

Bob on the tools packaging there is a photo of the tool cutting a bolt ? if it is a 1/4 inch bolt though.

The seller got back to me & said they got the info about the tool , which includes the bolt cutting feature , from here;
www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-32XX-ToolBox-Multipurpose-Tool/dp/B00005RHOZ

Pocho I now have 4 vise grip MT's  ::)(Kershaw A100, Schrade/Vise grip X2 & the Crunch). Sanity is prevailing & I am resisting the need for the Schrade/Vise grip 5WR.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 03:31:02 AM

Bob on the tools packaging there is a photo of the tool cutting a bolt ? if it is a 1/4 inch bolt though.

The seller got back to me & said they got the info about the tool , which includes the bolt cutting feature , from here;

Pocho I now have 4 vise grip MT's  ::)(Kershaw A100, Schrade/Vise grip X2 & the Crunch). Sanity is prevailing & I am resisting the need for the Schrade/Vise grip 5WR.

But how long will that last? ::) :D

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 04:10:27 AM
Here is the pix of the Toolbox cutting a small unhardened bolt. It is one of the small pix on the bottom of the page. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00005RHOZ/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi
Mike
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:12:47 AM by Mike 56 »

Mike

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 04:20:11 AM
Here is the pix of the Toolbox cutting a small unhardened bolt. It is one of the small pix on the bottom of the page. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00005RHOZ/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi
Mike

Ahhh, okay. First time I've ever seen that pic.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 04:21:35 AM

But how long will that last? ::) :D

Being strong ...... Being strong........ You do not bloody help Bob  :pok: :D :D flippen photos of interesting tools......
I think 4 vise grip MT's is enough surely  :ahhh :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24