Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who did you recruit/convert recently?

us Offline GNandGS

Who did you recruit/convert recently?
on: October 03, 2012, 03:29:03 AM
Got my wife to put a small knife/tool on the keychain!  After listening to me go on (and on) about the benefits of having a tool handy, and then whining when I had to go without, I think she was ready or broken down.  :)  Leatherman this and that all the time. lol

In the car she was trying to open a CD package for some Elvis tunes and I presented the attached.  Initially stubborn she preferred to fight the package with her nails but relented and took the knife and cut off the wrapping.  Easy peasy.

Me: "See how handy that was?"
Her: "Yeah"
Me: "You should keep this on your keychain"

More dialog where the wheels turned and the light bulb came on about how small this thing was and therefore HANDY.  Me going on about scissors n tweezers blahblah might have helped.  Or as mentioned maybe I just wore her down.

So IN the purse it goes.  Face Palm!  :facepalm:

Me: "Nooo, on the keychain.  So it's always with you"  Not that I actually care - just establishing a habit as the purse is not always carried.

Blahblah more dialog.  But after 2 days its still on the key ring.  Winning!

What's your story?
IMG_6537.JPG
* IMG_6537.JPG (Filesize: 153.72 KB)

gb Offline Dexter

Re: Who did you recruit/convert recently?
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:39:44 AM
I don't have such a dramatic story, but I did manage to show my wife the usefulness of the SAK. I bought her a Sapphire Climber soon after we married and she has carried in her bag ever since. I get a very serious look though if I take it out of her bag - 'Just checking if it needs sharpening babe....'  :D

us Offline GNandGS

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:43:48 AM
See, a womans handbag is like a toolbox.  You just don't rummage around another persons toolbox.  Spouses included.  lol.

What part does she like best?  Scissors?  Hook?

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:21:03 AM
Amici,
I recently gave a coworker a Juice S2 that I have had lying around gathering dust since it was pretty much dinged up from years of use, and I picked up a new one in a color more fitting for its name.

He now uses it everyday, and has recently decided to "upgrade" to a larger tool. So on my recommendation, he has purchased the "Surge" to meet his large tool edc needs.

As you all know, it starts out as a seed. Once it's planted, it's nearly impossible to stop.. Before you know it, he'll be posting here and also wear a "multitool.org" cap with pride!

Cheers,
Serge 
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:15 PM
1) My hubby has carried a Vic Classic for a while, but I convinced him to switch to a Leatherman Micra. The third day he was carrying it, he had to move some network cable, and cut about 20 zip-ties: a task ideally suited to the Micra, and virtually impossible with the Classic. Next, to convince him of his need of a Juice... :)

2)This past Christmas, I got my friend a combo pack of two Gerber Mini-Suspensions. They're the same except one is scissor based, and one is plier based. She carries them all the time now.

3) Another friend (husband of above-mentioned friend), had an old Vic Explorer, and didn't like it. He gave it to me, and I convinced him to get a SOG Crosscut and little cheapo plier-based keychain MT.

4) Yet another friend had an old pocket knife in need of cleaning, and I offered to clean it for him, and gave him my old SOG Crosscut as something to carry in its absence. I returned the knife after cleaning and sharpening, and told him to keep the Crosscut.

Still in the works... I have another friend who EDCs a Vic Soldier. I am slowly warming him to the idea of plier based MTs, and considering showing his wife my Juice S2.

And, when all that is done, I'll switch the topic to flashlights. I already got the friend mentioned in #3 above a Fenix e11, and a little LED keychain light for hubby and friend mentioned in #2.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:33:02 PM
I bought my wife a Farmer for gardening with, someone kindly gifted me a Climber which I gave to my daughter, and they both carry Classics in their bags (I made them pouches for their Farmer and Climber, for xmas last year but can't persuade them to belt carry yet!).

I'm training someone up in my job (support worker for people with acquired brain injuries) and he's been impressed by the usefulness of my Huntsman at work so he says he's going to get hold of one.

I wish carrying MT's wasn't so looked down upon here in the UK - the media has ramped up the fear of knives way too much. Used to be everyone carried a pocket knife.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Dexter

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:03:23 PM
See, a womans handbag is like a toolbox.  You just don't rummage around another persons toolbox.  Spouses included.  lol.

What part does she like best?  Scissors?  Hook?

Very true! The scissors for sure...

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:58 PM
My daughter has been a SAK user for a few years, and she just turned eleven. My wife has always been into multi-tools, but not SAKs. I gave her a Victorinox Climber a few days ago, and it kicked the Squirt PS4 out of her pocket. Now she wants a Huntsman and a Rucksack.
This is gonna hurt...

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:01 AM
The PS4 won my wife over. the Mini tool broke the ice but it landed at the bottom of Purse Lake. I'll hear the snapping of the ps4 opening up here and there. It makes me smile. A co worker has a wingman now cause of me. It just sucks for him because hes a plummer and likes to get wet.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%