Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Roadside fix

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Roadside fix
on: April 10, 2009, 02:11:48 AM
Some of you know me (lucky you) some of you don't (even luckier you).

Today I came upon a motorcycle on the side of the road when I asked the owner what was wrong he told me his positive cable snapped.

Lifting up the seat he showed me the problem.

Looking at it I told him "We are going to take some wire, wrap it around the end of the cable and then take this screw loose and wrap the wire around it, tighten it all down and you should be on your way."

Telling him that this was just a temp. fix it should get him off the highway and home.

Grabbing a phillips head I attempted to loosen the screw trouble was the screwdriver was to board taking out my Spirit I took the screw out.

Going to the back of the van I started looking for the wire, not being my van (mine was getting an oil change / maintence)
I could not find the spool of wire.

Opening drawers and cabinets, I could not find a single piece of wire.   The side of the highway is a buffet of stuff surely there is a piece wire something to use.

Walking up and down the shoulder I found a coat hanger, not flexable enough.  I couldn't beleive I couldn't find a peice of wire. Finally after several minutes of looking there could that be a peice of wire? Getting my hopes up I grabbed the end and unearthed a 18" piece of thermostat wire.

A little bit lighter then mechanics wire (okay a lot lighter) I used the Spirit to cut the ends off and strip the wires with the awesome scraper / stripper /  romex cutter.  By the way I had an auto stripper in the van but it was expensive and crappy.

What should have taken 8-10 minutes took 20.  Sure enough it worked and we were off.

I said all that to say this, Our vans are stocked with all the goodies and the latest tools.  What saved the day was a piece of free wire and a Spirit.

That is why you should never leave home without it. 

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Roadside fix
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:46:43 AM
Nice one Aaron  :salute: :tu:.
So you saying I need to buy a Spirit  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:22:11 AM
 :tu: Good story man

It is good to stop and help ppl that's the way it should be :cheers: Just a few crazies out there and nobody stops for anyone anymore :-\

Lucky for you ppl do litter though ::) :D ;)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 04:53:18 AM
I love Spirits an hate working outta someone else's rig !

Chris

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:35 AM
Didn't you help another guy a few weeks ago?  Bad luck on that road I guess... :ahhh

Great work :tu:
[

Offline Ben X

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:10:15 AM
I love helping people with automotive problems as well, but never quite so much as when it is with a SAK. My Mechanic has lived up to its name and saved the day 1,000 times over. I really do wonder sometimes if a Spirit would be better suited for auto purposes. This story is at odds with my wallet, a spirit is again highly appealing  :multi:
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:12:59 AM
Great road side bodge mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 03:31:03 PM
Nice one Aaron  :salute: :tu:.
So you saying I need to buy a Spirit  :D :D

If you define "need" as something to sustain life like food, water, air and love then yes buy a Spirit.
I waited over three years debating it for I already had a Swiss Tool.

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=35

Haven't looked back since, even retired the Swiss Tool (semi retired in rides in the car).

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 04:29:36 PM
The Spirit is truly a wonderful tool. I love carrying my Swiss Army Knives, but it's very hard to rationalize them when the Spirit is just so darned functional. The great sheath that comes with the Spirit makes the problem even greater.
--
'Buzz

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 04:44:26 PM
Aaron is the gaurdian angel of the highways. :angel:  I wish my state had a program like that.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 05:52:16 PM
Great story good job of improvising. My dad was auto mechanic he never would fix our cars. If he noticed something going wrong he would buy the part or parts and put them on the dash or in the trunk and would wait for the car to break down before he would fix it. I have many memories of doing just what you did walking down the road looking for odds and ends such as a rock or a peice of wood  to complete the repair. Here is a link were you can submit your SAK story if they pick it they will send you a free knife. http://www.swissknivesexpress.com/swiss-army-knife-stories.html
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 12:31:54 AM
Great story :)
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00