Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hiking Boot Preferences?

Biru · 22 · 3477

Offline Biru

Hiking Boot Preferences?
on: November 30, 2008, 09:06:37 PM
Just wondering:

What type of hiking boots/shoes do you posters prefer? I'm currently looking and don't know what's up to snuff and what's junk. What's comfortable and good-wearing?

Thanks, Bill.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Hiking Boot Preferences?
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:15:26 PM
i use nowadays Haix and Sorel brands.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:13:07 PM
Altberg's are the finest boot's I've ever had mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:30:03 PM
I had a pair of Asolo boots last me 4 years if heavy use. My friends prefer Scarpa. If you have an outdoor type of store near you check out their selection and pic what fits you best. Fit in hiking boots is the most important deciding factor for me along with the brand.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:21:05 AM
I spent a long time wondering, and tried on probably 30-40 pairs of boots, before buying a pair of Dunlop Volleys.

(Recommended by 9/10 ninjas for their stealthiness, and grip in the dark and wet, where most dramatic ninja scenes take place)

Anyway, I've heard lots of good things about Scarpa.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:56:45 AM
now's the time to buy! I too was looking for good hikers a couple of moons ago, did some research:

Now like they said, try them on if you can, that is best, they all make different sizes (even the same size)
and your needs are different then others. If you can't (for whatever reason) their are online stores (like zappo's)
that have free return shipping, as long as they still look new! which is easy if your just fitting.

Asolo, Danner, Scarpa and Vasque are very popular and expensive! (but you can find them on sale).
They also have custom ones too that I hear are great but 400.00 usd and up! some day...
Stay away from the cheapies, they won't last and you and your feet will suffer. (Hi-Tec bad reviews)

I decided on these;

Timberland Cadion Mid XCR.

they have Gortex, waterproof, lightweight, vibram outsole, memory fit, and good support and protection,
and they fit me great!

now don't forget inserts and socks, they can really help. I'd recommend "superfeet green" for the insert, they last
and really make your feet feel comfy over hard use.

Socks "DO NOT USE COTTON SOCKS!" they make your feet hot and stinky! get wool or wool/synth blends
and use a thinner liner sock (underneath) to wick the moisture and heat, and just them in the warmer times.

That's what I learned and my puppies thank me (as do the people who are around me when I take the boots off!)
lots of good choices out there, good luck and let us know what you get ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:59:01 AM by WhichDawg »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:24:59 AM
I'll agree on inserts - good ones can cost a bit (those $10 ones from the supermarket do nothing), but they're a good investment

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:32:29 PM
I'll agree on inserts - good ones can cost a bit (those $10 ones from the supermarket do nothing), but they're a good investment

good point! don't waste your money on them if you plan on really walking, invest in the good stuff :salute:

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 04:22:14 PM
Birkenstock makes nice hiking boots.

R

Offline Biru

Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 02:25:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Those Timberlands are sharp boots! As to inserts, I have to use them as I have a damaged tendon on my right heel that has been a mess the past few years. It's been so long since I looked at boots that I wondered what you guys liked.

Thanks for the info,

Bill.

Offline ephraim

Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:52 AM
I personally like anything made by Wolverine, Timberland, or Columbia

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 05:57:31 AM
a couple more shots of them;
Timberland Cadion Mid XCR_6.jpg
* Timberland Cadion Mid XCR_6.jpg (Filesize: 16.13 KB)
Timberland Cadion Mid XCR_2.jpg
* Timberland Cadion Mid XCR_2.jpg (Filesize: 18.06 KB)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 11:24:28 AM
i donno if u guys ski at all,but still id like to know,if u have seen any boots,that can be fitted into old school / military ski´s,u know,the shoes have square tip and on the heel,there deep groove for the leather strap/spring ???

i could need a pair in sze 45-46 or 11-11.5.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 02:18:36 PM
I used to always wear Vasque 1-piece leather boots like the Sundowner: http://www.backcountry.com/store/VSQ0021/Vasque-Sundowner-GTX-Backpacking-Boot-Mens.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=VSQ0021&mv_pc=r126

However, I just bought a pair of Montrail Torre GTX boots a couple of months ago, and I absolutely love them.  They are a bit of a narrow fit but are offered in a wide model, and have plenty of support for moderate backpacking.  All the long-term reviews I've read say they hold up very well: http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MON0063/Montrail-Torre-GTX-Hiking-Boot-Mens.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO002&CMP_SKU=MON0063&mv_pc=r126

Here are some reviews: http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/mens-hiking-backpacking-boots/montrail/PRD_78927_2961crx.aspx

http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/boots/montrail_torre_gtx.php

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Montrail%20Torre%20GTX/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:25:46 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:08 PM
I've seen those Terry, both (always liked the look and reviews of the Sundowners)
can you share some differences between the 2 (Vasque and Montrail)?

Offline joeye975

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 07:48:14 AM
I highly recommend the Scarpa from Italy which is more comfortable and firmly. I have bought mustang for moderate hiking and ZG10 for heavy hiking. I could give you the website: www.scarpa.net as reference!  :)

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 03:03:34 PM
I highly recommend the Scarpa from Italy which is more comfortable and firmly. I have bought mustang for moderate hiking and ZG10 for heavy hiking. I could give you the website: www.scarpa.net as reference!  :)

Hi joeye975 from China. Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 04:29:14 PM
I want to try these this year...

http://www.wengerna.com/content16900
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 03:55:44 AM
during skiíng,when u dont need thick insulation of sorel,i have just thinner häglöfs forest mid-lengths boots,cause theyre grippy,and light to pack...atleat to compared to sorel :D

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 02:14:13 AM
I bought my walking boots in 2006 in a hurry before a walking holiday (I know I know!!) As soon as I tried them on I knew they were the ones for me - really supportive, extremely comfortable and amazingly light. I walked over 9 miles the first time I wore them and my feet were fine. They've never hurt my feet. In fact they are my favourite pair of shoes and I wear them several times a week all year round (British summers can be very muddy!).

When I bought them, I was in a hurry and just trying on all the ones in my size....I didn't look at the make when I'd decided they were the ones for me. I was surprised to find that they were Hi tecs. Similar to these ones here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Tec-Womens-Vlite-Altitude-Ultra/dp/B0020HR8FG

Like I said I've had them since 2006 and they are in great condition and still on the origional pair of laces!! Can't recommend them enough - the lightest most durable boots I've ever owned.

Stick with the leather ones though - the fabric ones lasted for one and a half seasons before leaking badly.

Regarding socks: if you're in the UK or anywhere that has an Aldi, look out for thier lined walking socks. They're really cheap (£2.99) and keep your feet nice and dry - even on all day hikes.
I

us Offline Pacu

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 01:25:25 AM
I'd like to chime in on the Vasque Sundowners too. Mine went thru 4-2 week long treks thru the rockies, a 2 month trek thru South Africa and they are still in good shape.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 01:50:59 AM
+1 on the Hi-Tec V-Lite range. They are really good value for money I think but it's true the waterproofing went on my non-leather pair so I'd stick with leather.

I also really like Keen footwear. I have some Newports and they are about the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned - especially good for wide fitting feet.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69