Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Adding A Pen To My Spartan

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Adding A Pen To My Spartan
on: April 22, 2009, 05:13:31 PM
I bought a pen for my Spartan at frist i thought enlarge the tweezer slot for the pen how i am thinking about just making a new slot for the pen. What do you use to cut the slot in the scale? While i have the scales off i am going to make a pattern of them. I have some Red Oak stock i want to plane down into scales with my planer for further projects.  :tool:
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: Adding A Pen To My Spartan
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:15:46 PM
You could buy some plus scales for it.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:39:16 PM
I believe Neil did something very similar.. Maybe he'll be around soon!  :)
B

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:13 PM
I believe Neil did something very similar.. Maybe he'll be around soon!  :)

Nope I just use plus scales :)

The plussed scale with the slot is a fraction thicker than the normal scale to accommodate the pen.  If you were to cut your own slot you'd be left with an exceptionally thin layer of plastic, probably not a good idea.  If doing your own wooden scales then of course its different as you can make the scales the required dimensions.

I'd advise a trip to Rotokid's shop.  He has plussed scales and does free US shipping on orders over $20.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:03:21 PM
You made a slot for tweezers, never mind!  :-[ :D :D
B

Offline Ben X

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:17:54 PM
Believe it or not, Tom cuts a slot for them in the 84mm scales. I bought a set from him (And subsequently lost the knife a week later in Chicago- but the most glorious week of my life it was...) and they seemed like they'd hold up just fine. How he does it, he will probably never tell, but if it can be done with the even smaller 84mm's, I'm sure you could do it with 91mm's. But I'm with Neil, save yourself a headache and buy some from sosakonline.com for $7.50- really not a bad price at all considering how grateful you will be. I bought some for my Mechanic and I would do it all over again if it was my last $7.50. And back then, it probably was  :-[
"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 07:45:59 PM
Believe it or not, Tom cuts a slot for them in the 84mm scales. I bought a set from him (And subsequently lost the knife a week later in Chicago- but the most glorious week of my life it was...) and they seemed like they'd hold up just fine. How he does it, he will probably never tell, but if it can be done with the even smaller 84mm's, I'm sure you could do it with 91mm's. But I'm with Neil, save yourself a headache and buy some from sosakonline.com for $7.50- really not a bad price at all considering how grateful you will be. I bought some for my Mechanic and I would do it all over again if it was my last $7.50. And back then, it probably was  :-[

I'm amazed Tom manages it without wrecking the scale  :o   I hate to think how long it took him to perfect the technique  :salute:  Judging by the fact he offers the plussed 84mm scales in such limited quantities I think its fair to assume that its still something that's very tricky to do.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 09:12:12 PM
Thank for your thoughts i am going to take your advice and order some plus scales may be at the same time i will order some sapphire scales for my Minichamp.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD