Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Ranger Confusion

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Wenger Ranger Confusion
on: April 24, 2009, 07:16:37 AM
I recall that some of you guys have various models of the Wenger Ranger.

IIRC, comments on the Ranger models by owners here on MTO have been mostly positve.  But, after reading up on the Ranger here on MTO, I'm still confused.

There are a bunch of different Ranger models, but apparently some of those are not available in the USA but only in Europe?  I'm also confused about which configurations are available with pocket clips.

Handle length of all Rangers is 5.1" with 3.9" mainblade, right?

How does the thickness of Ranger models compare to similar Vic models?

Which available model (or models) has just a one-hand, non-serrated blade with pocket clip, and nothing else?  What is the weight of this model?

I'm considering the newly available models 60, 78, and 75.  Anyone have the weights for these three models?

The 60 is similar implement-wise to Vic Adventurer and Vic Nomad, except for having a one-hand blade.

The 78 is similar implement-wise to Vic OHT.

The 75, with its larger pliers, has no Vic counterpart.

Are there Ranger models available with the exact same implements as the 60, 78, and 75, but also with a pocket clip?

If not, then are replacement scales with inset pocket clip available anywhere?

If the the answer to the two questions above is "no" then what I'm considering is a scale swap.

I'd get both a model 60 and a single blade Ranger with pocket clip.  If I could swap their scales, then I'd end up with:
-model 60 with pocket clip and regular black Ranger scales
-single blade Ranger with RangerGrip scales

Is there any reason that this scale swap wouldn't work?

Thanks for any help.

N

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Wenger Ranger Confusion
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:14:18 PM
I can give you a little detail on the 78.  My kitchen scales put it at 5 1/4 oz.  Your blade and handle lengths sound right.  As to the thickness it is near dead on 1" at it's thickest point, this might be slightly misleading due to the contoured scales but it is still a hand filler.  Even closer to the OHT would be the 178 as it has the combo edge but I'm not a fan personally.  Not much of what you want to know but I hope it helps.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline silentio

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:17:25 PM
I just poked around on the Wenger NA site and used to comparison feature on this page http://www.wengerna.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php?id=1258&show=all

The answer is, no, there's isn't one like the 60, 78 and 75 which has a pocket clip as well. The closest one is the 61 which is almost identical to the 60 but has a corkscrew instead of the Phillips.

I will also be very interested in one of those new Rangers if it's possible to get a pocket clip on it. Let me know how your scale swap turns out.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:24:35 PM
I can give you a little detail on the 78.  My kitchen scales put it at 5 1/4 oz.  Your blade and handle lengths sound right.  As to the thickness it is near dead on 1" at it's thickest point, this might be slightly misleading due to the contoured scales but it is still a hand filler.  Even closer to the OHT would be the 178 as it has the combo edge but I'm not a fan personally.  Not much of what you want to know but I hope it helps.

Can't say I'm a fan of what I have seen either.  :(
I'm back!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 12:00:05 AM

Thanks for the helpful info, Gareth!

Really, that's most of what I wanted to know about the 78.

That thickness makes it nearly pointless for me to put a clip on it.  Its 5 1/4 ounce weight is just within bounds for me to EDC in a back pocket, but it'd be way too thick for comfortable back pocket carry.  Sounds like the 78 would be better reserved for belt sheath carry only.

I already knew that the 75 would be too thick for a clip from a review here on MTO.

Now, if I can get the thickness and weight of the model 60, I can decide if it'd be worth adding a pocket clip.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 12:10:46 AM
I just poked around on the Wenger NA site and used to comparison feature on this page http://www.wengerna.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php?id=1258&show=all

The answer is, no, there's isn't one like the 60, 78 and 75 which has a pocket clip as well. The closest one is the 61 which is almost identical to the 60 but has a corkscrew instead of the Phillips.

I will also be very interested in one of those new Rangers if it's possible to get a pocket clip on it. Let me know how your scale swap turns out.

Thanks, silentio.

When the 61 first became available at felinevet's I was very interested, but had to rule it out because of its 'colorful enunciation' corkscrew.

I was really hoping that eventually Wenger would offer that same model except with a useful Phillips driver instead of the 'colorful enunciation' corkscrew.

The new model 60 does look like it'd be great with a pocket clip.

If I do ever get one and sucessfully swap scales, I'll put a post about it here.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 12:27:04 AM
Can't say I'm a fan of what I have seen either.  :(

Please elaborate.

Not a fan of the half-serrated blade, or not a fan of the Ranger series in general?

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD