Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bic or Zippo?

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Bic or Zippo?
on: April 26, 2009, 04:44:50 AM
Hey guys.  I am not a smoker, but see the value of having a lighter on your person, for those "just in case" moments that life throws at us from time to time.  Now, lately I have been carrying a small Bic lighter, but am thinking about getting something a little more traditional, like a Zippo.  I have been talking to some smokers at work, and they tell me that the Zippos require a bit more maintenance then the Bics.  The fluid evaporates rather quickly if it isn't used regularly, and it needs to be kept clean.  They all say the Bics are pretty much idiout proof, don't need much of anything, the lighter fluid lasts for ever, and if it gets wet, just let it dry and it's good to go.  So, I ask you guys, which should I carry?  I need your pros and cons for both.  Like I said, I am not a smoker, so usages will be few and far between.  However, I love tradition.
Ok, begin the discussion.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bic or Zippo?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:49:00 AM
I refill my zippo (non-smoker) every weekend, takes 3 minutes tops.. If you don't mind that and can remember it there is no problem. Besides, zippo is just cooler than bic.  :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:50:33 AM
Since you go in and out of water quite frequently at work being a gator wrestler, I would say keep carrying the Bic. It's very inexpensive if it gets lost or something they're easily replaceable. A Zippo is still a good option, but you need to maintain it by buying new flints, wicks, batting, etc. And, they're more expensive if it gets lost, stolen, etc.  So, if I were you, I would continue to carry a Bic. But, if you want something that's funner to play with when your bored or something, get the Zippo!  :D :D
B

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:11:32 AM
People will steal a Zippo in a heartbeat,and generally leave a Bic alone.On the plus side for Zippo,is that they are generally windproof.
I

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:23:37 AM
I smoke, ok let me rephrase it I smoke a lot  :( and I almost always had a zippo on me for bout 7-8 years now since I picked up the nasty  :D habbit. Recently the zippo (many of em around the place) has been retired for a small orange bic (got to love orange) lighter that lasts for a few months, and this is with constant use lighting 20 odd cigarettes a day every day. The trouble with the zippo is that it does require constant refills. For a regular smoker every 3 days or so (5 days for new lighters) and the fluid does evaporate even if not used. Chances are that the lighter will be empty when you really need it. The bic on the other hand can sit for years unused and work fine when you pick it up, and they can be found almost anywhere when a replacement is needed for around a buck.

The weakest part of the zippo is it's hinge, mine broke after 5 or so years of use and being dripped on hard surface etc... The wicks are a pita to change, the flint and fluid on the other hand are a piece of cake. Now there's the Peanut lighter from county comm and other sources that has an o ring seal and the lighter will work, months after even if not used.  :cheers:

You can always carry both just in case  :D

p.s. Post 9/11 flight with Virgin Air. The security told me that only one lighter per person is permitted on the plane, at the time I had both a zippo and a bic with me. The guard wanted to take the zippo away stating the above rule at which I laughed and handed him the bic instead.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:07:23 AM
Have you given the peanut lighter any thought LH :think: They are a smaller version of the Zippo type and have O-rings in them and the lighter fluid lasts much longer and would be good in the water as well :tu:

here's an example of 1 on Ebay and it's not a bad price either ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mini-Water-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-Lighter-Fire_W0QQitemZ180350016234QQihZ008QQcategoryZ71002QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

there are plenty of them out there on the net but you have to know what to type in to look for  :tu: I believe that County Comm has them as well :cheers:

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:09:51 AM
It's cool carrying a Zippo, especially the small one. It compliments the TTi I edc!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:35:01 AM
I guess I should answer your question though :D between the 2 I would go with the Zippo for the cool factor 8) :D

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 05:05:46 PM
I don't smoke either, but I carry a zippo. I carry the zippo instead of a bic mostly just because I like it better, and I actually enjoy the simple old-time maintenance involved. That said, I do have a few bics around, and if I'd carry one of them for a day if I thought I might loose it or get it wet.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 05:23:42 PM
A plus for a Zippo is it's crush proof and crack proof.  Also in a "survival situation" the flint can still be struck into tinder if you're out of fluid.  Actually you can pull some of the stuffing out of the Zippo and use that as tinder. 

No reason not to keep both IMO...I always have a Zippo in my pocket, and a Bic closeby in either a coat pocket, car, pack, etc...

Maintenece isn't all that time consuming...filling it up with fluid takes about a minute, changing a flint takes about a minute, changing a wick takes a bit longer, but you won't have to do that for years probably.  Speaking of flints, you can carry one or two spares just under the pad...enough for thousands of strikes.
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 05:29:09 PM
I don't smoke, but still carry a Zippo on account of the fact that there so robust, and can light on pretty much any available fuel :)

Plus you can easily knock someone out with one, by slaming it in to the side of there jaw :angel:

http://www.martialedge.net/articles/techniques-and-tutorials/the-matchbox-attack/

Yes I own that book :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:29:38 AM
I have both but I carry a Bic.
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 12:38:21 AM
I carry both!

The Zippo is a much nicer lighter, but the bic (actually it's not a Bic but a cheap plastic disposable) is a reliable backup if the Zippo runs out.

I used to come here a lot.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 12:53:52 AM
While we are on the subject there are some semidisposable lighters that are made in Spain that can be refilled and the flint changed. Also the cost around $2.

Like this

http://www.bolinat.com/product_max.asp?id=4141
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 01:00:25 AM
Clippers have been popular over here since I was at school! They do a refillable and a disposable version, and are quite reliable. The flint wheel gets very hot though and I've burnt my thumb on more than one occasion with Clippers.

I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:14:59 AM
Clippers used to be spot on, they'd last years and you could change the flint etc.  Ones I've recently bought have been a pile of poo, breaking before you were through the first lot of gas :(

I've heard rumours that the UK is flooded with knock-off copies of the branded cheap lighters.  It seems anything with a brand name gets copied these days.

With regard to the county com peanuts.  They do retain their fuel well but and its a pretty big but they are useless in even the slightest wind, much worse than a disposable so I can't recommend them as even a backup for survival situations.   :-\

I'm still hunting my ideal lighter.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 02:52:25 PM
Zippo's are much more pleasing to have, and I still carry mine.  From purely practical standpoint I do like the Clippers, I haven't had one fall apart on me yet, but then I don't use them regularly anymore.  They come in a rather nice dark green that I like too.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 02:57:27 PM
I know the one, matches the dark green SAK scales.  Don't tell Nick :D

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 10:17:11 PM
I'm a non-smoker but I do carry a Bic, but I WANT a Zippo.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:41 PM
I used to smoke up to a hundred (no kidding) cigarettes, but managed to stop smoking two years ago (may 10 cigs a year now). I used Bics, Zippo and others, but the lighters I really prefer are Imco. They take Zippo replacement flints, rods and stones, but do not need to be refilled that often and are WAY more stylish. They never failed to lighten up when needed and are cheap. And: unlike some chinese lighters they are no Zippo rip-offs. In fact Imco are about the same age, both companies founded in the 1930s. I love these classic lighters. Have some Zippo too, used them quite a lot, but now prefer Imco.

PS: Most often I carry 2 lighters, an Imco and a mini BIC or peanut lighter - for I have a small lighter in my EDC bag. Without my bag, minimum EDC is just an Imco.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 11:23:27 PM
I just had a look at the Imco, cool lighter.  8)

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 11:48:35 PM
Where is the imco made?
(

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 11:51:23 PM
I really like the IMCO lighters. Mine is a version with a sliding windscreen.

I especially like the ability to remove the tank when lit to light lanterns and such...also it can be stood up on end like a candle.

Bought mine cheaply here - IMCO Triplex
imco05.jpg
* imco05.jpg (Filesize: 39.24 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 11:53:35 PM

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 01:47:00 AM
I just had a look at the Imco, cool lighter.  8)

I frequently carry an IMCO.  Superb lighters that hold fuel for ages.
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 02:35:47 AM
Gareth is probably the only one around here who doesn't have an IMCO... ::) :D

I want one of their rope lighters...

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 02:40:19 AM
I also want to get my hands on some of these -

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 02:55:58 AM
I say Bic because I keep them everywhere. It would cost me a small fortune to do that with Zippo's.  :D  BTW, I don't smoke either...
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 07:15:38 AM

I want one of their rope lighters...
Me too :)

There normal lighters are top notch :) The only thing with mine is it does use flint faster than my zippo does.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 03:31:05 PM
I also have been using both for years, I'd suggest a mini-bic (they also come in orange) which is very small and works just as good as big brother but less noticeable in the pocket.

The zippo works fine, works in the wind (better than the bic), and is more fun but the maintenance (2 week refills, keeping it clean, wick adjustments, flints) I think it is more than you'd care for, especially since you'd hardly use it, and like they said if you lost it you'd care more (especially in your line of work).

A bic will always be ready for you, even after months or longer. It's also way more water proof. I carry a PSK with a mini-bic and sometimes I forget my zippo or bigger bic and I have that back-up. You can get a pack of bics for under 2 bucks.

* PSK_1.JPG (Filesize: 30.33 KB)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:34:55 PM by WhichDawg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44