Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bic or Zippo?

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Bic or Zippo?
Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 03:40:42 PM

I want one of their rope lighters...
Me too :)

There normal lighters are top notch :) The only thing with mine is it does use flint faster than my zippo does.
Why is that? Is the spark wheel coarser,more aggressive than Zippo's? Or is the spring that advances the flint stronger?
I

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 04:33:03 PM
I think it might be because the wheel is attached to the cover and it is spun more uniformly than on a Zippo. You get consistent moderately heavy sparkage with the IMCO.

Just had an ideal...making an adapter to convert an IMCO into a rope lighter... :D I'll have to rummage around for some tubing when I get home.
'

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 06:12:20 PM

I want one of their rope lighters...
Me too :)

There normal lighters are top notch :) The only thing with mine is it does use flint faster than my zippo does.
Why is that? Is the spark wheel coarser,more aggressive than Zippo's? Or is the spring that advances the flint stronger?
I think it is a little coarser yes :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline SoDak

Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 03:23:03 AM
I've been carrying one bic for about a year(not a smoker) to replace the one before it and I hve been happy with it. I've tried the zippo, but hated having to refill it and I found out hat they suck for lighting fireworks(you have to close it to put the flame out everytime, gets old). I do like the look of those imcos though.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 05:33:29 AM
Hey guys.  I am not a smoker, but see the value of having a lighter on your person, for those "just in case" moments that life throws at us from time to time.  Now, lately I have been carrying a small Bic lighter, but am thinking about getting something a little more traditional, like a Zippo.  I have been talking to some smokers at work, and they tell me that the Zippos require a bit more maintenance then the Bics.  The fluid evaporates rather quickly if it isn't used regularly, and it needs to be kept clean.  They all say the Bics are pretty much idiout proof, don't need much of anything, the lighter fluid lasts for ever, and if it gets wet, just let it dry and it's good to go.  So, I ask you guys, which should I carry?  I need your pros and cons for both.  Like I said, I am not a smoker, so usages will be few and far between.  However, I love tradition.
Ok, begin the discussion.

Zippos are decent lighters for smokers who use them multiple times per day and will notice (smaller flame and difficulty of ignition) when they need refilling.

For non-smokers who don't use them daily, Zippos just aren't worth the aggravation of frequent re-fueling and flint replacement IMO.  Fuel evaporates fast and will probably leave you without a light when you really need it.

A much better option is Scripto VuLighter - the very best liquid fuel lighter IMO.  No longer made, but readily available on the interwebs.  Fuel reservoir is transparent for quick fuel level verification.  Fuel NEVER evaporates - still good to go after years.  In an emergency some fuel can be poured out of the reservoir to aid fire starting.  Very reliable lighter that is superb for outdoor use.

IMCO is a decent lighter, better than Zippo for outdoor fire starting IMO.  But, it suffers from fuel evaporation just like the Zippo.

BIC (and the smaller MiniBIC) tend to be quite reliable in my experience.  You'd be better off carrying two MiniBICs than one regular BIC.

N

Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 10:56:03 PM
I think it might be because the wheel is attached to the cover and it is spun more uniformly than on a Zippo. You get consistent moderately heavy sparkage with the IMCO.

Just had an ideal...making an adapter to convert an IMCO into a rope lighter... :D I'll have to rummage around for some tubing when I get home.
'
Keep us updated mate :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 10:56:20 PM
Just looked up the Scripto VuLighter and it looks really sweet.  :tu:

I wonder if they are still available at a sensible price.
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 10:58:19 PM

'

Already made a mock-up with copper tubing. Works much better than the rope lighter I bought recently...much more reliable lighting on the first strike.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 10:59:22 PM

Now I've seen a few more, didn't someone get one of these on here recently?
I'm back!!

Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 11:00:12 PM

'

Already made a mock-up with copper tubing. Works much better than the rope lighter I bought recently...much more reliable lighting on the first strike.
Sound's promising mate :)

I'll look forward to some pics soon then :)

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 11:15:30 PM
Does anyone know of a site that sells lighter parts? I think I'm going to try to make one. The only thing that would be hard is the flint and wheel assembly so I'll use an pre made one.
(

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:24 PM
Does anyone know of a site that sells lighter parts? I think I'm going to try to make one. The only thing that would be hard is the flint and wheel assembly so I'll use an pre made one.

How about this? - Tadgear

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 08:05:06 AM

I've seen non-collectable VuLighters for $10 or less on the interwebs.  Some of the collectable ones sell for hundreds of dollars.

VuLighter is far superior to Zippo or IMCO for outdoors use, and is also better for EDC by nonsmokers.  Well worth the price if find one you like for $20 or so.

Hoghead and I both ordered VuLighters a year or so back after we found a source for them on the interwebs.

N

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 05:08:20 PM

How about this? - Tadgear

Thats perfect.
(

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 06:36:26 AM
People will steal a Zippo in a heartbeat,and generally leave a Bic alone.

Oh I don't know about that, I own about 40 BICs, but only three zippos I didn't pay for  ;)

I carry a zippo to maintain my exceptionally cool image first, and to start fires second.

I carry matches to start fires :P

If you just want something that'll make heat when you need it, get a Cricket (or, I suppose BIC, if you have nothing resembling class), they'll generally never fail you when you need them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%