Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Very Happy with my new Light!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Very Happy with my new Light!
on: April 07, 2007, 10:18:16 AM
First off it should be known that I know very little about flashlights. So I spent the past couple of weeks reading reviews on other forums about the best small light. After much searching I decided to get a Fenix P1d-CE. I have to say this light is amazing.  Very small but very bright. Like I said I don't know very much about lights, but it amazes me that a flashlight so small can put out so much light. My only (small) complaint is I'm not very good at twisting it one with one hand. Other than that I love this light. 
Fenix2 (Small).jpg
* Fenix2 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 29.44 KB)
Fenix (Small).jpg
* Fenix (Small).jpg (Filesize: 28.65 KB)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:24:40 AM by prime77 »
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Very Happy with my new Light!
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:56:50 PM
Nice pair!  I agree with you about small lights- I prefer a switch too.  I have a few lights that I think would be absolutely perfect if they had a clicky switch rather than having to twist it. 

I have been eyeing one of those lights myself though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:56:55 PM
What sorta batteries does that thing use?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:25:47 AM
Should be a single 123...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:47:35 AM
Yep, Cree XR-E with a single CR123a.

Congratulations on being the first to post with Cree ownership!  The P1D-CE is a great choice.

If anyone is looking for a P1D-CE with a clickie switch, consider the new P2D:

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=61&products_id=226

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:09:29 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:35:01 AM
I like the P1D-CE so much I just talked my wife into letting me have a new P3D-CE :o
p3d2.jpg
* p3d2.jpg (Filesize: 44.82 KB)
"

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 04:49:56 AM
Another great choice!

You will be able to buy L2D-CE and P2D bodies to work with that P3D head also.  That would give you the options of 1xCR123a, 1xRCR123a (Li-Ion rechargeable), 2xCR123a, or 2xAA.

...I have a P2D on order also.

I got my LumaPower M1 Cree tactical today, and it's a stunner!
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:55:04 AM
I still don't know hardly anything about Lumens. But if the P1D puts out 135 and is as bright as it is.  Then I can't wait to see 160 for the P3D.
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 03:35:45 AM
Another great choice!

You will be able to buy L2D-CE and P2D bodies to work with that P3D head also.  That would give you the options of 1xCR123a, 1xRCR123a (Li-Ion rechargeable), 2xCR123a, or 2xAA.

...I have a P2D on order also.

I got my LumaPower M1 Cree tactical today, and it's a stunner!
I'm very confused ??? Does that mean that the P3D CE and the L2D-CE have the same heads and tailcaps but just use different bodies.
"

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 04:55:17 PM
Quote from: prime77
I'm very confused ??? Does that mean that the P3D CE and the L2D-CE have the same heads and tailcaps but just use different bodies.

Well, it appears that I was wrong.  The P2D and L2D have the same heads.  The P3D's body is threaded different so that the L2D and P2D heads can't be switched to the P3D body, and used with 2 CR123a cells.  This would blow the circuit in the "2D" heads.  Therefore, the P3D head won't fit on the L2D body either.

The tailcaps are interchangeable between the P2D and P3D, but the L2D's is different.  Fenix will be selling the P2D body and tailcap so that it can be purchased for use with a L2D head.
- Terry

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 07:41:41 PM
Thanks NutSAK, going to CPF and trying to find these things out was getting me even more confused. To much talk about bins, and watt levels and SureFire this and SureFire that. I just get lost.
"

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 06:11:03 AM
The P2D and L2D have the same heads. ... The tailcaps are interchangeable between the P2D and P3D, but the L2D's is different.  Fenix will be selling the P2D body and tailcap so that it can be purchased for use with a L2D head.

So many parts, so little money...   :grin:

I started digging around CPF for the answer to this question, but since you seem to be waaaay ahead of me at this point:

Do you know if it's possible to rig up a P2D/L2D head with an L1D body, in order to get 135 lumens out of a 14500 cell? Seems like it should fit, from what you posted, but... can the L1D tailcap handle that 4.2V battery? If not, will an L2D tailcap fit the L1D body?

And for extra credit: how well does that P2D/L2D head work on a single 1.5V alkaline? I like having the ability to use the cheapie AAs as a back-up. The ability to pop the P2D body/tailcap on to use yet another battery, would be extra icing on the cake.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 01:31:06 PM
Do you know if it's possible to rig up a P2D/L2D head with an L1D body, in order to get 135 lumens out of a 14500 cell? Seems like it should fit, from what you posted, but... can the L1D tailcap handle that 4.2V battery? If not, will an L2D tailcap fit the L1D body?

Yes, that would be no problem.  The difference in the tailcaps is only in physical dimensions--there is no difference internally.  The P2D runs fine on RCR123, so the P2D/L2D head on a L1D body will have no problem with 14500.  However, the circuitry in the head is not designed to regulate the higher voltage of the Li-Ions, and direct-drives the LED, which means you will only have turbo, strobe and SOS modes available on the Li-Ion batteries.

And for extra credit: how well does that P2D/L2D head work on a single 1.5V alkaline? I like having the ability to use the cheapie AAs as a back-up. The ability to pop the P2D body/tailcap on to use yet another battery, would be extra icing on the cake.

AA should work great on the L2D/P2D head but, unfortunately, I don't have any runtime graphs to back that up.  As with the stock L1D, you won't be able to tell much difference between "high" and "turbo" mode though, and your max lumens will be limited to somewhere around 80 lumens, vs. 115 on the 3.0V L2D/P2D bodies.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:50:11 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:27:45 PM
However, the circuitry in the head is not designed to regulate the higher voltage of the Li-Ions, and direct-drives the LED, which means you will only have turbo, strobe and SOS modes available on the Li-Ion batteries.

Gack. Kinda makes it not quite worth the trouble, then.

Thanks anyway for the 4-1-1!!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 09:30:53 PM
WOW.....I'm so confused.  I'm starting to feel like the smiley on the right :twak:
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 10:35:04 PM
The P1D-Ce has become my favorite light. I have used it every day since I got it. The only problem I have had with it is that I am clumsy and have dropped it 4 or 5 times because it's so small. This is my first attempt at making some kind of lanyard for it. Not the best in the world but it's worked so far. Another thing after all those drops there is no scratches or dings.
Picture 1366 (Medium).jpg
* Picture 1366 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 29.1 KB)
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 10:44:51 PM
That's a nice laynard- much better than my first (and hundredth!) attempt!

It's also nice to see that the anodizing held up.  I like my new Fenix azs well, but it's purty and doesn't have a mark on it.  I'm terrified of that first scratch.  The hundreds after that are ok, but the first one is awful!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 10:53:50 PM
I like my new Fenix azs well, but it's purty and doesn't have a mark on it.  I'm terrified of that first scratch.  The hundreds after that are ok, but the first one is awful!

I carried my L1T for a couple months, every day, in my front pocket with my keys and a folding knife and whatever else I shoved in there. Nary a scratch. My LiteFlux then took it's place for the next six months, plus I've dropped it numerous times, and it still looks like it just came outta the box.

So you might be waiting for a while. Good HA-III anodizing is damn tough stuff!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 01:22:08 AM
Fenix HAIII finishes have definitely gotten better over the years, but they're just now getting good.  I have several Fenix models, and you can pretty much tell the age of the light from the durability of the finish.  The difference in finish between my new P2D and my early L2Ps is quite noticeable.  I've seen many type II anodized flashlights that are more durable than the earlier Fenix HAIII finishes.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD