Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Finally found out what's wrong with my foot!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Finally found out what's wrong with my foot!
on: April 29, 2009, 01:12:37 PM
Plantar fasciitis :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

Basically mine's been permantly ruptured so any tips would be greatfully appreciated :tu:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:16:17 PM by Micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Finally found out what's wrong with my foot!
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:41:37 PM
Sounds gruesome though doesn't it.  :D
I'm back!!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:42:41 PM
Amputation :ahhh
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:24:40 PM
My mom has charcot disease but after surgury(at first they were considering amputation) shes doing fine.
(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:18 PM
You need a good podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon who specializes with feet.  Plantar fascitis is very treatable, but requires proper attention.

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:30:55 PM
You need a good podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon who specializes with feet.  Plantar fascitis is very treatable, but requires proper attention.
I sadly got told that mine wasn't treatable because of the plantar fascitis isn't there anymore (destroyed it in a bike accident) so my opitions given to me by the podiatrist was either orthotics, which I have (not that they do much good) or a cortizone injection, which I'm reluctant to take :-\

Offline Biru

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:40 PM
I know we discussed your problem a while back, and I am in total sympathy as I too have plantar fasciitis. It totally wrecked my hiking as I can't find a comfortable boot.

However, on the orthotics front, don't brush off the effect of orthotics as it may take a different form or type (I don't know the terminology used in this area). I went through about six different types and none helped one bit. Then a nurse suggested I try an Asics shoe with gel implants- they apparently are popular with medical workers hereabouts. I don't work for Asics, so I don't mean to pitch them, it's just the way it happened. After about a month, my plantar fasciitis irritation has totally subsided. This leads me to believe that the orthotics were incorrectly made or improper somehow- or that the people at Asics are witches...

Unfortunately, the irritation almost immediately reappears when I try hiking boots or other brands of shoe. I need to check and see if Asics makes a trail shoe or boot.

Good Luck, Bill.

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:11 PM
Well I've made an apointment with the podiatrist, and I'm going to see if I can get some gel insoles tailor made for me :)

In the mean time if you find some insoles that work out for you, could you send me a link please mate :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:51:22 PM
I sadly got told that mine wasn't treatable because of the plantar fascitis isn't there anymore (destroyed it in a bike accident) so my opitions given to me by the podiatrist was either orthotics, which I have (not that they do much good) or a cortizone injection, which I'm reluctant to take :-\

Hmm..

This sounds a bit curious to me.  Did you have your foot rebuilt after fractures?  If not, the plantar fascia must be there.  It is the dense connective tissue that supports the arch, running from the heel bone (calcaneous) to the bones before the toes (metatarsals).  Even if it were sliced through, the fascia will scar and heal back, albeit not perfectly.

Never hurts to get a second opinion.... :salute:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 04:52:59 PM
Well I've made an apointment with the podiatrist, and I'm going to see if I can get some gel insoles tailor made for me :)

In the mean time if you find some insoles that work out for you, could you send me a link please mate :)

I have custom formed carbon fiber inserts.  I needed them for running.  Without them, I walk like a 85 year old man; with them, I can run a 4 hour marathon.

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 04:54:16 PM

Hmm..

This sounds a bit curious to me.  Did you have your foot rebuilt after fractures?  If not, the plantar fascia must be there.  It is the dense connective tissue that supports the arch, running from the heel bone (calcaneous) to the bones before the toes (metatarsals).  Even if it were sliced through, the fascia will scar and heal back, albeit not perfectly.

Hmm well I got told that there's a lot of scaring on it, and that the fluid membrane between it and my heel had basically been destroyed in the impact, and it's the combination of the 2 that's casing me the problems ::)

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:33 PM

I have custom formed carbon fiber inserts.  I needed them for running.  Without them, I walk like a 85 year old man; with them, I can run a 4 hour marathon.
See that's the annoying thing, I was quite an active person before my foot started causing problems, now I can only really cycle :(

Glad you found a solution though :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 05:02:42 PM

Hmm..

Hmm well I got told that there's a lot of scaring on it, and that the fluid membrane between it and my heel had basically been destroyed in the impact, and it's the combination of the 2 that's casing me the problems ::)

Sounds like you have a lot of scarring of the fascia--maybe even plantar fibromatosis (sort of a benign scarring process, like Dupytren's contracture in workmen's hands.  If that's the case, there may be a role for reconstruction, but that is highly specialized surgery. 

Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 05:38:45 PM
Which they almost certainly won't do on our national heath service :-\ and private heath care is £60 per hour over here :o

Pains cheaper :D

But I do appreciate your help, and will be taking all this info to the podiatrist :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:17:43 PM
Which they almost certainly won't do on our national heath service :-\ and private heath care is £60 per hour over here :o

But I do appreciate your help, and will be taking all this info to the podiatrist :tu:

Mike,

I'm really shocked to hear this.  I thought NHS was supposed to be community standard healthcare.  In the US, someone going from a highly active lifestyle to seriously hobbled by a foot problem would not be considered standard of care.  If surgery had a reasonable chance of making a difference, it would be covered by insurance or Medicare (I can't say for Medicaid, but that's a last resort sort of government program). 

Even if it took a few months to get scheduled for examination and possibly somewhat longer for surgical time, it seems to me that NHS should be willing to deal with this.  JM(outsider's)O.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 07:57:25 PM
My wife had the same thing, they told her she'd have to be off her feet for nearly a month, possibly more, then possibly surgery. Being off her feet for that long was not an option for her. So she tried some Merrill shoes on advice from a friend which helped almost instantly. But she wanted to wear some other shoes, so she then got some inserts from REI based on some other advice, they are called Superfeet (not sure which model), which she said were also great. Now she wears Keens in the sandal and sneaker versions with no pain.

So, for the last nearly 10-12 years she has been pain free with no surgery and didn't have to take any time off.

So my advice is look for some shoes that might help, or at least some good inserts that might help. Good inserts can be a little pricey, but don't cheap out. Now, of course your mileage may vary, but a non-surgical alternative is cheaper and something you can do or at least try right now. Besides, if a non-surgical option doesn't work, well the surgery will always be there right?

Good luck!
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 10:36:34 PM

Mike,

I'm really shocked to hear this.  I thought NHS was supposed to be community standard healthcare.  In the US, someone going from a highly active lifestyle to seriously hobbled by a foot problem would not be considered standard of care.  If surgery had a reasonable chance of making a difference, it would be covered by insurance or Medicare (I can't say for Medicaid, but that's a last resort sort of government program). 

Even if it took a few months to get scheduled for examination and possibly somewhat longer for surgical time, it seems to me that NHS should be willing to deal with this.  JM(outsider's)O.
Mate the NHS is falling to bit's, succesive govenments have seen to that >:(. The best you can hope for is that you get placed on a very long list, and eventually get seen too, and if you do get surgery, best hope you die on the table or the post op infection will kill you (MRSA) :-\

That's why i'm looking more toward alternative sugestions, as the NHS probably won't be able to help, at least for a significant length of time :)

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 11:31:16 PM
I totally agree about the Asics. When I went to a new podiatrist he refused to order me some new orthotics and made me go and buy some Asics running shoes. They ar the business. I hate the way they look and sometimes when I'm bad, have to wear them with a suit  ::) but they have improved the condition.

However, it's not the same condition as yours. I would suggest that you ask your podiatrist to assess all your regular footwear and make recommendations for what you should be wearing. Again, I hated what he said but he was spot on.

Regarding inserts....check your mailbox!

In most cases, with the NHS, you CAN get the treatment you need if you can back up the need with evidence and are able to talk their language. You can also jump queues depending on what you say to them. Insider info on it's way to you in PM.
I

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 12:19:26 AM
Well, this is progress albeit a pain in the arse. Madam up there is right, there are work arounds to get treatment you need. I think you might need to get back to the physios ASAP to address the tendon issues that go with this condition. They may also be able to use ultrasound to break up some of the scar tissue which has almost definitely formed. You're right to be wary of surgery at this stage but don't entirely rule it out until you've been through all options. As for the pain, acupuncture works for a lot of people but a simple ice press might be very helpful too when it's really playing you up. One possibility may be prolotherapy which is something I may have on my joints eventually - it's lots of needles but might be worth looking in to.

When you get to a podiatrist, he/she may well recommend some good quality running shoes; make sure you go to a shop which can do the video analysis of you walking on the tread mill, that way you get a good idea of exactly which shoes will work best. You will probably find the model they recommend cheaper in the tinternet too to make sure you get the model/size you need  ;)

I do more research soon for you.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 07:23:30 AM
Thanks girl's I really do appreciate it :cheers: :cheers:

BTW to Asics do steel toe caps :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 01:01:48 PM
Thanks girl's I really do appreciate it :cheers: :cheers:

BTW to Asics do steel toe caps :D

Somehow I doubt it.... although they would be most useful, I don't think that the extra weight would be medically approved ;)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 03:24:59 PM
I can sympathize.I've got a callus on the ball of my foot,and without the orthotic my podiatrist had made for me.I'd have to give up my daily 2 mile walks.
I

Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 07:08:29 PM
I can sympathize.I've got a callus on the ball of my foot,and without the orthotic my podiatrist had made for me.I'd have to give up my daily 2 mile walks.
Well I'm just waiting to get my appointment through now :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 07:56:48 PM

Postcode lottery for you then! Hopefully it won't be too long  :)

Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 10:06:56 PM

Postcode lottery for you then! Hopefully it won't be too long  :)
Well once they've treated all the immigrants (no I'm not in the least racist) I'm sure I'll be seen in time for my entry into the paralimpics in 2012 :D

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:02 PM
I have that as well and it resulted in heel spurs.

My spurs are to the point where I have to wear two insoles in my shoes to cushion my heels.

I did try acupuncture for the Plantar fasciitis for awhile and it did seem to help.
It was a bugger though getting my ticklish feet harpooned :D

Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:39:11 PM

I had wondered if that would be an issue :D

I've got visions of the acupuncturist chasing me around the bed :D

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 10:59:44 PM

Cue the Benny Hill music and......ACTION!
I

Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 11:02:51 PM

Thanks for setting the musical theme :ahhh :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 11:13:37 PM

Thanks for setting the musical theme :ahhh :D

Add in a few large chested tarts dressed as nurses and you're away!  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85