Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock: wow!

us Offline turbov21

Powerlock: wow!
on: April 30, 2009, 04:37:40 AM
April's been kind of a whirlwind dive into multitools for me.  I started the month with a SAK and a Sheffield Crocodile, picked up a Blast on the second, and I'm closing out the month with my first SOG.  By next month I'll either have my first Gerber or I'll be bankrupt living in a house made of tools, which doesn't sound too bad.  >:D  Onto the purpose of this post, though.

My SOG Powerlock S62 came today, and I am jawdroppingly impressed by this tool.  First off, the thing is just fun to open.  It's like looking at clockwork pliers.  Second, it's easy to open!  I've got strange joints in my hand, and opening up something as simple as a LM c301 requires two hands.  However, I can easily open up the Powerlock with one hand.  That's impressed me.  Third, I like the heft and size of it, as well as the finish.  It's a smooth tool.

The only complaint I have is that the other tools stored in the handle are a bit stiff.  It takes some work getting a single screwdriver head out or the bottle opener comes out with the knife blade.  I think either a spot of oil or loosening the bolt will fix this, and either one is possible, but I'm enjoying the "factory settings" today.  Mods later.

All-in-all, the Powerlock is a great tool.  If my LM Crunch's locking pliers weren't the killer app I expected them to be, I'd make this part of my EDC.  As is, the Powerlock is likely to be the tool I use when I'm around the house and I'll definitely pack it for any trips.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: Powerlock: wow!
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:48:35 AM
you can adjust the tool tension by taking the appropriate size driver and loosening the bolt on the bottom of the handle.  Or you can use the oil method as well.  My tools were a bit loose and had to tighten them up a bit.

:)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:11:35 AM
Welcome to the SOG Fan Club.The Powerlock is my household pliers based multi-tool,and to me there's something about the heft of it that inspires confidence that I can handle the  task ,whatever it might be
I

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:59:36 AM
I just got my first powerlock as well, and I've carried it everyday the past week.  I'm loving it so far too!!! I really am taking advantage of the compound leverage, going where no other pliers would dare to go :salute:

-Dough
W

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:22:21 AM
congrats buddy :cheers:, mine(second one) havent arrive yet.....i cant wait, plus i have some parts from Andrew so its up to be a fun weekend :multi:
A

us Offline turbov21

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 06:36:27 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :)

One question: have you guys put scissors on a Powerlock?  It looks like there's space on the side with the knife blade, but I wasn't sure if it would require loosing some other tool.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:41:50 AM
trust me, youre better without the sog scissors, the v-cutter is a lot more usefull IMO
A

us Offline turbov21

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:11 AM
trust me, youre better without the sog scissors, the v-cutter is a lot more usefull IMO

Thanks for the heads up.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:44:52 PM
Can the blades be replaced when worn or do you have to replace the V-cutter?

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 06:50:08 PM
i think your better off replacing the whole v-cutter.  Look on Sog's website they offer the individual tools for a modest price.  The blades are riveted and if you have the right sharpener you should be able to touch them up?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:54:16 PM
you have to replace the v-cutter as the blades are attached with rivets not screws :-\ but the v-cutter itself cost arround 10 bugs so not a big deal, at least for me :tu:
A

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:54:39 PM
i think your better off replacing the whole v-cutter.  Look on Sog's website they offer the individual tools for a modest price.  The blades are riveted and if you have the right sharpener you should be able to touch them up?
For the life of me I cant find the one I saw once where you could replace just the blades,it must have been a model other than sog  :think:

[edit]Please don't ask me to search my history  :ahhh that would take 10 years or more haha!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:58:06 PM by TITAN »

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:57:26 PM
For the life of me I cant find the one I saw once where you could replace just the blades,it must have been a model other than sog  :think:

those come with some sog blades like the Bi-Polar http://sogknives.com/store/BP-1.html not compatible with the powerlock one :-\
A

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 06:58:22 PM
here is the link to the individual tools.  

http://sogknives.com/store/components.html

does your v-cutter allow for blade only replacement?

funny thing I bought a new powelock with v-cutter and the cutter didn't work very well at all.  Would rip rather than cut.  I though got another powelock used in a trade and the cutter works just fine, nice and sharp.  I should try touching up the edge a bit I guess.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:00:52 PM by Sean »

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 07:00:28 PM

those come with some sog blades like the Bi-Polar http://sogknives.com/store/BP-1.html not compatible with the powerlock one :-\
Why thank you kind sir that's the one hmmm pity it could not be transplanted though.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 07:04:51 PM

Why thank you kind sir that's the one hmmm pity it could not be transplanted though.

yeah :-\ anyway, the v-cutter is relatively cheap so again not a big deal for me :tu:
A

us Online David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 06:43:33 AM
turbov21 that PL looks just like the one I bought at Lowes a few months ago. I really like the new plier head on the PL. I carry it at work alot. You got a good MT there.   :tu:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 06:41:19 AM
Hey, First Post for me  :cheers:.

I bought the S62 at Dick's sporting goods on clearance for $50. The weird thing was there was no V-cutter, but a serated blade took its place! I found the power lock to be imprecise, requiring you to have all the tools perfectly aligned to activate the locking mechanism. Also not that big of a fan of the clumping tools, and many were hard to get out unlike a Vic or Lman. The compound gear is impressive though.

I ended up returning it to the store, I wanted that damn V-cutter, and cant figure out what happened to it. I'd be interested in another, but with outboard tools like the power assist has, price for that one went up quite a bit on amazon recently, so I'll have to wait.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 06:54:15 AM
welcome buddy :cheers: first: that one you bought probably was a custom made(sog mt are easily customizable :tu:) second: if you dislike the old lock mechanism try one with the new design like this one:

and third: post on the new members forum and tell us what MT do you have now :pok: me want to know :D
A

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 06:59:20 AM
Thanks Cliosguy. I'll post my stuff over there shortly. What model# is that pic? Looks like it has individual springs, do the tools clump?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 07:12:12 AM
it started as a S61 then i replace the scissors with a v-cutter, the partially serrated blade with a plain edge one and the file with a full serrated blade

it clump just a bit but i kinda like it that way and the individual springs are called "piano lock" by sog which is now the standard on every powerlock like the gears cover and the new plier head:

old plier head:

A

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75