Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I do not want a perfect multi-tool. 153

Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,026 Born to multitask.
I do not want a perfect multi-tool.
« on: January 19, 2020, 05:33:54 PM »
I own many multi-tools, more than I will ever need. Different sizes, toolsets, materials, quality. And many different brands, not only the big four.

I have carried many around, mainly the Rebar, but quite a few others as well. And I like many of them. Is any one of them perfect?
No, they are not perfect. But at the same time, they are.

The Rebar is an excellent tool, and my edc. I added scissors and a package opener, and now it is even better. I am actually looking for another one, just because it is great. It is tough, reliable, comfortable, and it looks great. I love it.

I carried the Spirit for the 30 Day Spirit Challenge. It needs no praise; it is a well-known and loved tool. It is tough, reliable, comfortable, and it looks great. I love it.

I have also carried the Surge, the Charge, the Core, the Wave, the Gerber MP400, the Roxon Storm, the NexTool Flagship, the Ganzo 302, and others. They are tough, reliable, comfortable, and they look great. I love them.
Sure, some are tougher than others, or more comfortable, etc. Some are heavier, some are bulkier, some do not have as good a warranty, or lack certain tools, but it is alright.

I like variety. I like the different designs companies are coming up with. I like the different finishes, the toolsets, the sheath options, the locking mechanisms. I like multi-tools. It may take a few seconds to deploy a Rebar of MP400 Phillips, but then again, I like the fidget factor. I like having the tool in my hands. Every time I deploy the Storm's scissors, I smile. Whenever I fit the bit adapter on my Ganzo, I smile.

Being as diverse as they are, there will never be a multi-tool that is perfect. There is just no way that everyone will agree. Even then, does it matter? Probably not. Not to me, not now anyway. I am perfectly happy to carry any good multi-tool. And if a perfect one gets made, will it be much different than the Charge, Wave, MP400, Storm, or Spirit? Probably not. I still get by just fine with any one of those, with no complaints. Plus, I get to use many different multi-tools, each perfect in its own way.

And it's not like I am ever under-equipped. I can still cut a strap, drive screws, fit a bracket, saw a branch, remove staples, bend steel wire, open a package. As long as the tool is not a cheap, poorly made piece of junk, everything is fine. I know that I will get through my day and not have to worry about which multi-tool I happen to have that day. Because whatever I happen to carry, it will be perfect.
No Life Club Posts: 3,541
Re: I do not want a perfect multi-tool.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:21:30 PM »
:iagree:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,249 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
Good post RP  :cheers:

I love my Spirit and MP400  and use the Spirit every day at work. I don't have much experience with LM tools and would really like to try the Rebar or Wave to see how they compare. However different they all are, fun is the common factor.  :tu:

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

'Derail a thread and we'll come at you like a block of cheese'. Captain Mags and Sergeant Fuzzbucket of the Anti Derai.... mmmmmmm cheese
Sr. Member Posts: 264
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »
 :hatsoff: :cheers:

Nice post RP!

I agree with you.  I too, do not want a perfect multi-tool. 

In fact, my Gerber MP600 is the perfect imperfect multitool for my bag, which I leave in my car.  It has everything I might need, and don't otherwise have with me. 
No Life Club Posts: 1,332
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »
I do think it is possible that somewhere in the future there might emerge the perfect multi-tool for me for a given scenario. It won't be perfect for all or for all things, but maybe for what I need for the most. Other ones might get closer to perfect for other people and other tasks. In general things keep improving - often by specializing.

I think high-end multi-tools will be about 25-40% less weigh within the next 5-8 years, and with more and sturdier functionality to boot. That can only be good? We live in interesting times.  :cheers:

"If only simple wasn't so hard" - me
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).
No Life Club Posts: 2,524
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »
I go back and forth.  In some ways, I would love my perfect multitool and in other ways I like variety.

Right now, I am enjoying the variety aspect and changing different tools and knives based on planned day and mode.

That being said there is some comfort in that perfect combo that you just know meets your needs and you don’t even have to think about it.  Even then that combo may have to change based on certain factors.  Which is why there really isn’t a perfect multitool.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,681
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
 :iagree:  :cheers:
Sr. Member Posts: 264
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »
I had the perfect multitool until I met you guys.   :cheers:

Can you remember the days when you got a new free cell phone every two years?  Every two years, you picked which special feature you wanted.- external caller ID, one-touch silent mode, extra phonebook spaces... a camera?!?!

What would you rather have - the ability to choose a new flip phone each day, or one smart phone for the rest of your life?
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,249 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 09:51:32 PM »
If I'm honest with myself, a Spirit and a Classic is all I need but like everyone here variety, is the spice of life!

I couldn't ditch my MP400, SRM7010, Bund knife, Minigriptilian, SI, Farmer, woodsman or BuSchroder - I'm just attached to them!

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

'Derail a thread and we'll come at you like a block of cheese'. Captain Mags and Sergeant Fuzzbucket of the Anti Derai.... mmmmmmm cheese
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,681
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 10:54:39 PM »
If I'm honest with myself, a Spirit and a Classic is all I need but like everyone here variety, is the spice of life!

I couldn't ditch my MP400, SRM7010, Bund knife, Minigriptilian, SI, Farmer, woodsman or BuSchroder - I'm just attached to them!
:iagree: 110%
I think a MT and a SAK would cover 95% of all our needs, but variety is the spice of life!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $179.57
PayPal Fees: $11.48
Net Balance: $168.09
Below Goal: $131.91
Site Currency: USD
56%