Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Australian Knife Laws

Valkie · 126 · 10052

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Australian Knife Laws
Reply #120 on: May 14, 2024, 04:30:31 AM
You’re not going to have a problem carrying a larger knife or fixed blade if you’re out hunting or camping or similar, it’s in the city doing basic EDC that’s the issue.

I found this UK lawyer discussing a case of wearing multitool in public interesting:

Basically everyday carry in case some tool might be needed was not deemed by a court as good enough to reason to carry a multitool. Instead you should have a specific task in mind to justify carrying. (And presumably for the offending blade - not sure a task involving the file would justify wearing a multitool with knife).

He has some other relevant videos too. Although they are UK specific some of the legal logic behind might be similar elsewhere. In one he says police might try to ask leading questions as "You think this might be used as a weapon?" - a question one should sidestep.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline Valkie

Reply #121 on: May 16, 2024, 06:58:44 AM
Sounds like we have a plan :tu:

Tbh I’m seriously thinking those of us in New South Wales need to get a petition or something happening :think:

I totally get the need for teenagers not to be carrying 12” kitchen or hunting knives but it’s ridiculous we may get fined and presumably a conviction for carrying a 58mm SAK let alone a 91mm

It’s been reported on the news a number of times recently that knife crime has been steadily decreasing for the last 20 years but the pollies are under public pressure to do something.

It won’t make any difference to a criminal or teenager, they’ll carry on regardless but for the law abiding multi tool carrier it puts us in a really difficult position

In the UK you can carry a non locking folding knife under 3”, this seems a much better compromise. There’s no way we’re going to get something better than that but it does seem something to aim for

Thoughts?

My problem, and it is a problem.
Is that they are attacking the wrong thing.

Instead of attacking the problem (people being stabbed and threatened by large kitchen bladed knifes by criminals)

The put a blanket ban on ALL blades regardless of the legitimacy or innocence of the carrier.

If the existing laws were fully enforced and criminals were punished adequately, a blanket knife ban would be stupid.
And just carrying (or not) a knife does not make you dangerous or less threatening.

In the case a of a recent knife attack.
The attacker was brandishing and using a large carving knife (not a multitool or pocket knife)
When the weapon was knocked from his hand by a defender, he ran of and "somehow" managed to find another huge knife with which to threaten people.
This was in a shopping center.

It just so happens that there are a multitude of "knives" throughout every shopping center.
K Mart has them
Woolworths has them
Numerous kitchen product suppliers have them.
And most food preparation outlets have them.

So access to large knives is quite simple and easy.

But the grubberment says "lets go after everyone with a knife to show we mean business"

If anything this has made the use of knives Worse than before.

Where will it all end?

We are now given useless blunt, weak wooden knives to eat our meals with and wooden forks that cannot penetrate butter, let alone food.
We are made to feel like criminals all the time (all the better to control us)
Its a total joke.

Instead of targeting the innocent.
Make the law stand firm and PUNISH the ones using them illegally.

I can see a time when Martial Arts is made illegal.
when carrying a walking cane is illegal.
when we are no longer allowed to have knives at home (its already illegal to have one in the car)
Work tools will have to be registered
and the grubberment will have you completely under control.
tools is what defines us as humans

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #122 on: May 16, 2024, 07:07:49 AM
My problem, and it is a problem.
Is that they are attacking the wrong thing.

Instead of attacking the problem (people being stabbed and threatened by large kitchen bladed knifes by criminals)

The put a blanket ban on ALL blades regardless of the legitimacy or innocence of the carrier.

If the existing laws were fully enforced and criminals were punished adequately, a blanket knife ban would be stupid.
And just carrying (or not) a knife does not make you dangerous or less threatening.

In the case a of a recent knife attack.
The attacker was brandishing and using a large carving knife (not a multitool or pocket knife)
When the weapon was knocked from his hand by a defender, he ran of and "somehow" managed to find another huge knife with which to threaten people.
This was in a shopping center.

It just so happens that there are a multitude of "knives" throughout every shopping center.
K Mart has them
Woolworths has them
Numerous kitchen product suppliers have them.
And most food preparation outlets have them.

So access to large knives is quite simple and easy.

But the grubberment says "lets go after everyone with a knife to show we mean business"

If anything this has made the use of knives Worse than before.

Where will it all end?

We are now given useless blunt, weak wooden knives to eat our meals with and wooden forks that cannot penetrate butter, let alone food.
We are made to feel like criminals all the time (all the better to control us)
Its a total joke.

Instead of targeting the innocent.
Make the law stand firm and PUNISH the ones using them illegally.

I can see a time when Martial Arts is made illegal.
when carrying a walking cane is illegal.
when we are no longer allowed to have knives at home (its already illegal to have one in the car)
Work tools will have to be registered
and the grubberment will have you completely under control.
:iagree:

Yep, that’s it in a nutshell :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #123 on: May 17, 2024, 01:32:36 AM
K Mart has them
Woolworths has them
K-Mart and Woolworth's are still profitable in Australia?

And you're right: punish the fool, not the tool.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #124 on: May 18, 2024, 03:24:47 PM
K-Mart and Woolworth's are still profitable in Australia?

And you're right: punish the fool, not the tool.

Woolworths made so much money they're getting sued.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #125 on: May 18, 2024, 04:53:41 PM
They had quite the opposite problem in the States: they made so little money that they tanked!
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%