Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderench and Byrdwrench thoughts

gb Offline Crunchie64

Spyderench and Byrdwrench thoughts
on: March 22, 2024, 07:01:55 AM
Most of my multitools are Leathermans, but I own one each from Gerber, SOG, Victorinox and Schrade.

I feel like I’m missing out by not having a Spyderco or Byrd wrench, but I’ve never seen or handled one.

I’d love to hear opinions from anyone who has one. I imagine the quality is right up there with Leatherman, even if they’re not quite as practical.

Anyone?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Spyderench and Byrdwrench thoughts
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 12:17:00 PM
If you own a Spyderwrench/Brydrench I feel it may be a novelty and will have a nice place in your collection. I carried one for years and gave it the love it deserved. But I ended up selling mine a few years back, because I started using it less and less and I was afraid that if something happened there was little Spyderco could do for me warranty wise. So I sold it to someone who was a collector who would appreciate it as much as I did.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 03:04:12 AM
I do like the tools with something a bit unusual - the Crunch, MiniTool, Mr Crunch, Gerber Dual Force…

I’d really like to get hold of one of the Spyderco multis to try out. I think it would probably suit me pretty well.

I’ve put a wanted post in the Tools Needed forum if anyone has one to sell.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 09:30:27 PM
I'm going to go against the grain a bit- I have both a SpydeRench and ByrdRench and honestly, they are neat toys but not that useful.  I know the Spyderco guys out there are going to be calling for my head for saying that, but it really doesn't have many features.

The adjustable wrench function doesn't get very big, which means it can't actually be used that much.

The slip jointed pliers spend more time slipping and being on the wrong setting, but that's okay because the big, bulbous plier head doesn't really manage to grab much anyway.

The knife blade is quite stubby, and the the screwdriver feature is probably the best option on the tool.

I was drawn to it originally because you could use the screwdriver and the adjustable wrench independently, but in the end it's easier to bring a standard Multitool and SAK anyway.

That's just my two cents though- as with everything there will be someone here who disagrees!  After all, we have had members here over the years that thought the Schrade NaviTool was good.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 10:05:07 PM
I agree with you @Grant Lamontagne it's a neat tool but I feel it's more of an exercise in design and engineering. It's neat, it was designed by an aerospace engineer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 11:02:38 PM
As far as design goes, it is absolutely brilliant.  I love it, and I really appreciate the thought that went into it.

The utility just isn't really there though.

And, as you said, if something bad happens to it, Spyderco won't be able to repair it.  All in all, not worth the risk.  You can buy a much more useful tool for a lot less than what these are going for nowadays.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 12:49:00 AM
Yes, there's more capable tools available out there. I have sold off a lot of my collectables because I don't use them, and there's no warranty if I did break one. I've turned into more of a user than a collector over the years.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 01:42:33 AM
Most of my multitools are Leathermans, but I own one each from Gerber, SOG, Victorinox and Schrade.

I feel like I’m missing out by not having a Spyderco or Byrd wrench, but I’ve never seen or handled one.

I’d love to hear opinions from anyone who has one. I imagine the quality is right up there with Leatherman, even if they’re not quite as practical.

Anyone?

I agree with Grant.  I rate them as either a very expensive collector item (SpydeRench), or an expensive collector item (ByrdRench), and I have both. 

Interesting to look, hold and play with, but not really EDC material.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 02:32:12 AM
I’m not sure if I was expecting it to be a brilliantly practical tool for EDC, just something unusual that would be nice to own and carry occasionally.

Carrying two tools at once, often a Crunch and something more conventional, is a regular thing for me for certain jobs.

The Spyderco Co-Pilot is probably my favourite knife of all time, sadly no longer with me, so I don’t mind a stubby blade.

I appreciate all the feedback, and I’d still love to get hold of one if anybody’s thinking of rehoming one, even if it does end up as a shelf queen.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 02:55:43 PM

IMG_1904.jpg
* IMG_1904.jpg (Filesize: 417.28 KB)

Look what the Easter Bunny brought today.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 06:40:50 PM
Very nice!
First impressions?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #11 on: Today at 04:32:29 AM
Very nice!
First impressions?

Honestly, every multitool I’ve bought over the last few years has made me realise just how brilliantly the original Leatherman tool was designed and made.

I like the Spyderench, and it’s clear a lot of thought went into it, but the PST feels so much better put together.

The blade on the Spyderench is very good, as you’d expect, but I think the position will take a little bit of getting used to. Not that comfortable to hold if you split it into two parts, and the blade is slightly obstructed when it’s together.

I like the accessibility of the bit holder, but taking the file out to get the bits will probably be a pain. The solution is to carry a selection of commonly used bits in a separate holder, I guess.

My usual carry is a Free P2, with a Crunch quite often close by (see the vice grip thread in the Leatherman forum if you’re interested). My ideal tool would be a combination of the Free P2/P4, the Crunch, and the Spyderench - adjustable or locking pliers with wire cutters, a one hand opening serrated or combo blade, easy access to a Phillips and a couple of flatheads with a bit holder tucked away for non-standard bits. Scissors would be a handy addition.

I usually carry the P2 loose in the pocket of my jeans with my keys, and the Spyderench doesn’t feel smooth enough to do that - feels like it’ll end up coming apart or getting keys jammed through the middle.

Just proves that there’s no one size fits all solution, but Tim’s first effort was still about as close as it gets to perfect.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%