Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Personal Musings

Doc · 8 · 241

us Offline Doc

Personal Musings
on: April 22, 2024, 12:42:31 AM
A brief history.  I was a lurker here for a few years.  Then I registered and posted very rarely.  During that time until now I would come and go, but I couldn’t stay away, and I kept buying MTs, mostly SAKs and Leathermans.  Fast forward to the past couple weeks.  I’m a contemplative guy, and always try and evaluate my actions.  So, why do I stick around here?  My first consideration was, just let it go.  Most of the folks that post frequently on MTO  are intimidating to a guy like me (pretty much not-too-handy).  All these posts where guys don’t just talk about tools, but chime in with metallurgical advice, making their own tools, mods, etc., etc..  Then I considered why do I even buy MTs?  I carry one, or two with me all the time, but very rarely have occasion to use them.  So, why?  Epiphany!  Because MT ‘s are flippin’ awesome!!!  THAT’s why I keep buying them and can’t stay away from this place.  MTs are made for guys like me.  They are the perfect tools for your basic, everyday, stuff.  So, the reason I wrote this is obviously not for the high end users here, but for the lurkers and those reading in the shadows to say, you’re not alone.  Embrace your mechanical limitations and just enjoy obtaining a variety of very cool tools that are pretty much designed for people who are for all intent and purpose mechanically challenged.  Maybe somebody can come up with a badge that indicates the mechanical limitations with which some of us suffer.  Like a MTO version of a handicapped placard? 
That’s gonna leave a mark.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Personal Musings
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 12:57:03 AM
That would be a good badge for people like you and me. Thanks for being honest and sticking around like you have, some people get intimidated. I'm just like you, I may or may not carry a multitool on me and I have a bunch of them. But as far as usage goes it's next to nothing. I just don't have that many things that come up in a day that need pliers and other stuff. Same with pocket knives, I love pocket knives and have so many but unless I purposely go out of my way they don't get used much. Yes they are flipping awesome, knives and tools and my passion and it's not because of usage. I love the creativity and design behind them, the ingenuity, and how they make our lives better. They are a form of art and expression just like a Rembrandt.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 01:16:40 AM
     Stay as long as you are having fun has been my plan.  I never really felt like I had to measure up to anyone.  Or felt intimidated.  Just a bunch of friendly guys and gals who share an interest.
      Should a person evaluate what they are doing?  I think so.  It is doubtful if buying a few things for self-amusement is bad, as long as you are taking care of your own obligations.  Could be worse things than buying an occasional pocket play toy.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :hatsoff: 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 03:45:23 AM
Just a bunch of friendly guys and gals who share an interest.
This.

It doesn’t matter if you have one MT/knife, 10, 100, or 1000+.

It doesn’t matter if you use your tools many times daily in the trades or on the farm, or you work in an office and rarely need them.

It doesn’t matter if you have been a user or collector for less than 60 minutes or more than 60 years.

We’re here to shoot the breeze about our common hobbies and have fun.
:cheers:

us Offline TexasAKM

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 04:41:03 AM
Great thread, y'all!  And welcome and glad you posted, OP!  I really enjoy how friendly and helpful everyone here is!    :tu:   :cheers:

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 07:13:23 AM
+1 here!
I have been using knives since I was a kid and my grandpa bought me one and taught me how to handle with it.
However now being an office guy I don’t need to use MTO every day. Actually, while participating on challenges I learned that mostly I just need knife to cut or slice something and then scissors and tweezers in case my nail gets broken :)
However I am huge fan of knives, SAKS and MTOs and I like collecting them.
I also admire people who can make their own mods, create scales or even whole knife. I would cut myself instantly :D

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #6 on: Today at 12:31:56 AM
I've carried a pocket knife/SAK since I was in middle school (back when it was still allowed) and then a multi tool during my first few jobs.  But I didn't use them as much as a lot of the people on here.  But I stay because people here are more genuine than on other boards I've been on.  Plus SAKs and multi tools are cool and I like discussing such things with my fellow knife/multi tool nerds.  :D

After I joined this board I got inspired at trying my hand at modding SAKs though I know next to nothing about metallurgy and fine detail work like a lot of the people on here do.  But it's fun to try and learn.   :cheers:
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: Today at 02:43:08 AM
Glad to have you and glad you decide to post.

I can see feelings of “intimidated” when looking at posts by people who always are using the tools or making amazing mods, but fortunately this is not that kind of group.

This group is just a bunch of people with a common interest (more like passion) for multitools, Swiss Army knives, knives in general, etc.  Doesn’t matter how many you have, type, brand, how expense, how you use, etc.  what matters is that you like them and like talking about them.  If you participate or look in on challenge threads, you will discover the entire spectrum of users.  There are those who need and use their tools often to those who just take glamour shots because they don’t need to use it.  This group even have those people who go out of their way on a challenge to find (or create) a use, just so they can use their chosen tool.

I don’t really “need” a plier based multitool in my daily life, but I still use them on occasion.  My real passion is SAKs and Traditionals (and also flashlights).  I have always carried one and find I love to use them.  I’m not a heavy user, but I get so much joy when I come across a use even if it is snipping a thread or cutting open something I could probably just rip open.

So enjoy the fun.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD