Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool Time Line

J-sews · 126 · 81430

us Offline Real1

Re: Multitool Time Line
Reply #120 on: October 25, 2018, 07:16:20 PM
Great reading...thanks! I had two of these that were identical. I was plumbing fulltime and working for a company in Pullman, WA. I bought one, left it at a customer's (if you're in the trades and you leave a tool on a job, 95% of the time you will never see that tool again). So they were both bought around 1995/'96. I still have a box and it's the blunt nose pliers. Also, have the lit that came inside with an added phone number. I don't remember if the phone number had something to do with the knife or not....I think I was after a spare sheath.

I had a multitool like SOG too......but this tool had HEFT.....something that was lacking in most multitools. It held up and was beefy hand sized. Not that the SOG, Leatherman et al tools were inferior, they weren't. The smaller multitools are and always will be, a compromise tool....a get your butt out of a sling type tool. I do remember a weakness with the PM.....I think it was the knife blade and had to be careful with it. This is basically a crude multitool, but very durable if you could wear something that big. I used the pliers WAY more than anything else on the knife and they held up. In fact, I probably bought the second one just because I liked the pliers so much...lol.

I figured them to be sacrificial @$30 something back then. After the last one got lost....I just lost heart.

I'd sure like to have another, but they are conspicuously absent on eBay.

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:23:19 PM by Real1 »

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: October 29, 2018, 02:31:50 AM
If you’re talking blunt nose or needle nose, then you’re talking about the type 2 plier.  I need to update this with pics to make things clear.

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #122 on: December 01, 2019, 11:27:08 AM
This list needs some updating.  :pok:  :pok:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #123 on: December 01, 2019, 10:25:27 PM
While I can't speak for Leatherman, SOG or several others as my main interest is Gerber, I agree with Chako's sentiment.   Called Gerber about the MP1 Maintenance Pro and not only is this discontinued, but the entire series is as of 2019.   Haven't had a chance to properly verify this alleged claim, but I'd say the same goes with Gerber MP 450 and potentially this is the case with the MP800 Legend.  My best guess with MP450 was this was done in 2016/2017 and I am basing the other model number on two different distributors with MP800.

Gerber's new website layout search engine has some major issues when you type in model numbers, series names and other information, so unless anyone here knows a direct Gerber or any brand for that matter with current products, calling the manufacturer directly seems to be the only tried and true method of confirmation.

This would be very beneficial if similar to Klein Tools, Gerber had a list of discontinued items and ideally when they were discontinued as well.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #124 on: December 05, 2019, 12:18:19 AM
Get us a list together of the changes, gentlemen and I will be happy to edit it in :salute: :tu:

us Offline edcninja

Reply #125 on: July 07, 2020, 05:37:50 PM
This is a great list, anyone know if its been updated since 2017?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%