Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Polishing a WWII Flying Fortress

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Polishing a WWII Flying Fortress
Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 03:59:43 AM
Mat---stealing other people's thunder is one thing I excel at :D Under development at war's end was the culmination of experience gained in combat,and it looked just like this.....AD Skyraider.Capable of a warload exceeding a B-17,it could strafe,close ground support,torpedo bomb,dive bomb;you name it,it could do it.

(Image removed from quote.)

.....which is why it was still playing a large role in Vietnam, over 20 years later. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 04:06:29 AM
 The Spad was so capable,and adaptable,that in the '60's serious consideration was given to re-opening production lines,but it was deemed to expensive to re-start production.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 06:58:48 AM
The Spad was so capable,and adaptable,that in the '60's serious consideration was given to re-opening production lines,but it was deemed to expensive to re-start production.
Which was a shame given the capabities of the aircraft, and apart from the gun, I seriously doubt the A10 was any more capable, and at least the Spad could land on rough strips :tu:

I was gob smacked when they replaced the A10 with the A16 though ::) Sometimes low n slow is exactly what you want :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 01:56:38 PM
Which was a shame given the capabities of the aircraft, and apart from the gun, I seriously doubt the A10 was any more capable, and at least the Spad could land on rough strips :tu:

I was gob smacked when they replaced the A10 with the A16 though ::) Sometimes low n slow is exactly what you want :)

But what A GUN Mike  :pok: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 06:57:08 PM

Are they still trying for an f16 varient?  I though they canceled the a16 in the early 90's due to difficulties with the 30mm cannon.

Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 07:34:37 PM

Are they still trying for an f16 varient?  I though they canceled the a16 in the early 90's due to difficulties with the 30mm cannon.
Could of done, I lost interest in modern aviation in the 90's (no soul) so I'm hardly an expert on the subject :)

Offline cb400bill

Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 07:49:32 PM
I posted about our local Air Museum a couple of days ago.  Today, I see in our local paper, that thru September 30, 2009, they are waving the admission fees.  Normally the admission fees are $15.50 for kids and $19.50 for adults.

Here is a link to the article.  So come and check out these planes and such.  This is a great deal.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2009/06/air_zoo_offers_free_admission.html
V

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: June 01, 2009, 08:12:34 PM

Could of done, I lost interest in modern aviation in the 90's (no soul) so I'm hardly an expert on the subject :)

Ditto mate

Reply #68 on: June 01, 2009, 10:00:04 PM

Ditto mate
I think it's the same with anything designed with minimal human imput :-\

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #69 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:24 PM
[

Reply #70 on: June 01, 2009, 10:47:46 PM
That old bird will be around for a good while yet I expect :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #71 on: June 02, 2009, 12:10:40 AM
According to Wikipedia the A-10 Warthog is still in service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Warthog

As a former Infantryman the A-10 is my all time favorite aircraft. I heard rumors that had the US Air Force decided to phase it out the US Army was considering purchasing them because of their close air support ability. Again, this was a rumor I heard so it may not be true.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #72 on: June 02, 2009, 05:27:08 AM
According to Wikipedia the A-10 Warthog is still in service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Warthog

As a former Infantryman the A-10 is my all time favorite aircraft. I heard rumors that had the US Air Force decided to phase it out the US Army was considering purchasing them because of their close air support ability. Again, this was a rumor I heard so it may not be true.
Not quite a rumor.The USAF never really wanted the A-10---not sleek,sexy and fast enough.The Warthog was championed by a senior Congressman that had the factory in his district.USAF more than once planned to shelve the A-10,but the Army couldn't,and really can't have fixed wing tactical aircraft due to the Key West Agreements back in the '40's that delineated what the Army could fly when the Air Force was re-organized as a seperate branch of service.As a sidebar,helicopters were considered to be not much more than a novelty at the time,and the Army was allowed as many as they wanted.During Vietnam the Army developed or acquired a couple fixed wing a/c that USAF  got cranked up about,the C-7 Caribou,and the OV-1 Mohawk.Back to the A-10,it was in all likelihood headed for retirement when Gulf War I broke out,keeping it in the USAF inventory.
I

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #73 on: June 03, 2009, 06:15:14 AM

Not quite a rumor.The USAF never really wanted the A-10---not sleek,sexy and fast enough.The Warthog was championed by a senior Congressman that had the factory in his district.USAF more than once planned to shelve the A-10,but the Army couldn't,and really can't have fixed wing tactical aircraft due to the Key West Agreements back in the '40's that delineated what the Army could fly when the Air Force was re-organized as a seperate branch of service.As a sidebar,helicopters were considered to be not much more than a novelty at the time,and the Army was allowed as many as they wanted.During Vietnam the Army developed or acquired a couple fixed wing a/c that USAF  got cranked up about,the C-7 Caribou,and the OV-1 Mohawk.Back to the A-10,it was in all likelihood headed for retirement when Gulf War I broke out,keeping it in the USAF inventory.

I watched an episode of future weapons awhile back, the A-10 was updated for digital warfare and will be in service for at least 10 to 20 years.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%