Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Expand pliers multitool to fasten Truarc retaining/snap rings?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
These pages show Truarc retaining rings and some tools to open and close them:

http://www.thread-rite.com/truarc  and   http://www.truarc.com

Notice the similarity between a retaining ring tool and our familiar pliers multitool?

Wonder how difficult it would be for a manufacturer to add Truarc retaining/snap ring capability to a pliers multitool?   Perhaps just adding a small hole on the side of each jaw and supplying two plug in pins would work. 

The gear driven SOG PowerLock multitool would be a good candidate for upgrade because you can force the plier jaws open or closed under controlled pressure without the handles folding.

truarc.jpg
* truarc.jpg (Filesize: 25.94 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Truarc page
truarc.jpg
* truarc.jpg (Filesize: 111.2 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
.....Wonder how difficult it would be for a manufacturer to add Truarc retaining/snap ring capability to a pliers multitool?   Perhaps just adding a small hole on the side of each jaw and supplying two plug in pins would work. 

The gear driven SOG PowerLock multitool would be a good candidate for upgrade because you can force the plier jaws open or closed under controlled pressure without the handles folding.

Wow. That's a good idea Parnass. I don't run into very many snap rings myself (we call them snap rings where I work) but the maintenance guys at the shop have to deal with them every day. The machines where I work have a lot of shaft-and-bearing mechanisms. Snap rings are commonly used in a groove to retain the bearing in place. Some of the snap rings are quite large, going from 8 inches or so in diameter on down to the very tiny sizes. 

The favorite snap ring pliers that the maint. guys use have exchangeable little tips, so they can be used on a wide range of sizes, on both internal and external snap rings.

Like you say, seems like it would be simply enough to adapt these little tip inserts to a set of multitool plier jaws.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Interesting idea, but wouldn't it be more of a specialty model like the PowerPlay series?  Designed for specific applications rather than general use?  I see those little rings from time to time but not often enough to have a dedicated tool for them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
I think what Parnass has in mind would not be a dedicated tool, but another capability for regular multitools.

Those little snap-ring tips are interchangable. (see red circle) If they could somehow be slid and locked into little holes in the plier jaws of a regular tool, they could be removed and not be in the way for regular plier-ing jobs.
srp.jpg
* srp.jpg (Filesize: 39.81 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
I think what Parnass has in mind would not be a dedicated tool, but another capability for regular multitools.

Those little snap-ring tips are interchangable. (see red circle) If they could somehow be slid and locked into little holes in the plier jaws of a regular tool, they could be removed and not be in the way for regular plier-ing jobs.

Yes, that's what I had in mind.   Thanks.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Oh, and good thinking in regards to the SOG PowerLock. I guess it never occured to me before that SOG is the only butterfly-opening multitool that doesn't "fold" at the pivot joints.

I'm thinking the only other multitool style that would work would be a Gerber with sliding jaws.

Offline joebw

Hi All,

Snap rings are a great invention.  Remember that there are two types of pliers (plus the Convertible one).  On internal snap rings, the pins need to cloe as the handles close.  On the external ring, the pins need to open as the handles close.. 

Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Hey Parnass, I just noticed your new avatar pertains to this thread. You must have to deal with snap rings a lot?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
... You must have to deal with snap rings a lot?

No, not that much.  I sometimes had remove and reinstall snap rings when servicing the small muffin type fans used in cooling electronics equipment.

When I dealing with snap rings, having the proper tool made the job so much easier.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%