Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - parasitic drain ...ish

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - parasitic drain ...ish
on: May 31, 2021, 10:14:00 PM
I'm loving my Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 and carry it nearly every day together with a tool in a pocket caddy for example.

Mighty little light with decent build quality that can accept 1.5v alkaline, 1.2v Nimh or 14500 Li-Ion.

When powered with a 14500 Li-Ion battery the tail cap switch is lit with a blue light (like the grey one in the below picture). That might be handy for some but drains about 3.4mA constantly, resulting in an empty battery in less than 2 weeks.

So far I just used a mechanical lockout by unscrewing the head a bit to avoid this.

Until Matt junior claimed one of my two Tool AA (the grey one below), which lead me to order a full metal version as replacement.

The thing is though that the mechanical lockout doesn't work with full metal ones (like the Titanium version) as there is no anodizing to isolate the electrical contact via the threads.

So I've decided to make a test and disable the blue LED in the tail cap switch. They only glow when the switch is in the off position, and when there is enough voltage (like 3.7v from a 14500 Li-Ion). That convinced me that it's a simple circuit.

When I opened it I was surprised to find not one but two LEDs ...and a resistor to each.

I carefully removed the resistors (marked with R) which successfully disabled the LEDs and the parasitic drain  :tu:

I thought this might be of intetest to some here :hatsoff:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 - parasitic drain ...ish
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 12:32:04 AM
Nice one.  :tu: and it's reversible! Just solder them back on if needed. :D

A bit of glow is nice, but not when it's being a stupid parasite.
 :think:
Opportunity for a tritium vial or two? 
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 12:35:10 AM
Howdy Pabs  :hatsoff:
I was thinking exactly that, but couldn't find the right size  :dunno:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 03:27:44 AM
Good to know.

I hadn’t realized, because I’ve only used my Tool with eneloops, but that would definitely be frustrating.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 08:09:43 AM
Howdy Pabs  :hatsoff:
:2tu:
How are you?

I was thinking exactly that, but couldn't find the right size  :dunno:
Tiny tritium keychain? :drool:
It's one of those things I always wanted but never got around to buying. :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 08:57:56 AM
Good to know.

I hadn’t realized, because I’ve only used my Tool with eneloops, but that would definitely be frustrating.

You should be safe from any parasitic drain then  :tu: This only happens with a high enough voltage (defined by the resistor and diode)  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 08:58:46 AM
:2tu:
How are you?

Tiny tritium keychain? :drool:
It's one of those things I always wanted but never got around to buying. :facepalm:

That idea is soo tempting  :tu:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 04:37:51 PM
Cracking fix  :tu:

Not had this issue personally, my Tool AA 2.0 doesn't do this, and I exclusively use an Olight 14500 in it  :dunno:

Having an always on tailswitch light is... weird to be honest, I don't understand the purpose  :think:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 06:42:49 PM
 :cheers: GF
I don't know exactly since when they did add that "feature". But I heart about Tool AA 2.0 that do not have it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 11:46:53 PM
Great work on disabling the power drain :salute: :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 11:56:44 PM
Thanks Poncho  :hatsoff:

Offline jag-engr

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 11:28:00 PM
When powered with a 14500 Li-Ion battery the tail cap switch is lit with a blue light (like the grey one in the below picture). That might be handy for some but drains about 3.4mA constantly, resulting in an empty battery in less than 2 weeks.
In use, I found that mine lasted well over two weeks with parasitic drain and intermittent use.  I never really found it to be an issue, but YMMV.

At any rate, I love this thread and the photos of your breakdown and mod.

FWIW, I remember someone on BLF claiming that they switched out the LEDs for red (and possibly the resistors) and got a much lower drain.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 12:31:48 AM
Thank you very much jag-engr  :hatsoff:

I never did a complete and correct real life test myself, and the measurement and calculation from it might be faulty as well.
I guess batteries may vary too.
I did have juniors light (the gray one in the pics) empty in about 2 weeks with no use though.

I don't use mine every day, and the Titanium one has no anodized body, so no insulated threads, which means no manual lock out and button-LED deactivation. That was when I was looking for a solution.

The illuminated button is a nice and cool feature. I personally don't need it though and like my lights ready when needed without having to remove the battery when put away for a while.

Thanks for the hint to using Red LEDs and different resistors. One should be able to reduce the current effectively. That's a good idea  :tu:

Offline jag-engr

Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 11:10:15 PM
I don't use mine every day, and the Titanium one has no anodized body, so no insulated threads, which means no manual lock out and button-LED deactivation.
I completely understand.  It didn't bother me for one I used regularly, but I carry a UV Tool AA in my satchel, and I always lock it out.  Without the lockout feature, there would really be no point in carrying it.

The illuminated button is a nice and cool feature.
I agree, but I wish Lumintop had executed just a little bit better.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 12:00:23 AM
I don't really understand the point of illuminated buttons when the lights off, when it's on they can look cool and provide useful info about the battery, but off it's just drain. My Lumintop GT Nano does the same thing so just lives in lockout, that towering 100mah cell can't take any degree of drain  :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 12:33:52 AM
I don't really understand the point of illuminated buttons when the lights off
You will understand the first time you turn it off and then drop it in the dark!!
It's not very bright or anything, but when you're fumbling in a pocket or bag (in the dark of course, because why else would you need a torch) it can be surprisingly useful.

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2021, 12:42:09 AM
You will understand the first time you turn it off and then drop it in the dark!!
It's not very bright or anything, but when you're fumbling in a pocket or bag (in the dark of course, because why else would you need a torch) it can be surprisingly useful.

Oh that's what it's for  :facepalm:

I can see the use in general the GT Nano's are... well hard to see if you're trying. Personally I just prefer tritium for that purpose  :tu:

And err yeah, in the dark, what weirdo would just fondle and play with their torches in a lit room...  :whistle:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #17 on: September 30, 2021, 03:24:31 AM
Tritium is great on high(er) end torches, but for something like this that costs less than £20... ?
There aren't really any suitable recesses for vials either. It's basically just a cheap solution for a cheap torch. I kinda like it, though. Looks cool sticking up from your pocket or in a bag compartment.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 30, 2021, 11:27:17 PM
I discovered this on my tool just recently.  I usually use NiMh for AA lights, but put a 14500 because it was closer at hand when I needed to change the battery.  I actually don’t mind it right now because I am just using it in the house and the blue light makes it easy to find without even turning the room light on.  That being said, I would definitely not like it as a rarely used emergency light.

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2024, 07:47:09 PM
Just noticed I have the same with my Tool 3. Just got it a week ago, charged the 14500 that came with it, played with it some and then carried it for a few days. Today it had drained so much power that I only got very low brightness. This is NOT what I want from my EDC light! Now I'm trying with a regular AA battery. At least the small leds are not on.

What a stupid feature. There are many other nice lights out there.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 05, 2024, 08:56:53 PM
Yeah those tail switch leds are lame since they drain the cells.  I have Tool but the earlier version without the tail leds.  Its a great light and glad there are no led to drain my cell. 
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2024, 09:01:13 PM
Breaking the contact by loosening the tailcap is kinda counterintuitive. I want the clicky switch precisely because there is no twisting. And I detest magnetic heads... Oh well, with a non rechargable battery at least there's no drain.

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 07:02:22 PM
Update. The problem didn't persist, I deliberately left the Tool unused, with the 14500 in place, contact unbroken, after my last post, and there was no visible power drain. It's as bright as ever. So not a dud after all.

* 20240306_195457.jpg (Filesize: 211.93 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%