Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What light did you carry today?

us Offline countrydirt

Re: What light did you carry today?
Reply #2430 on: August 03, 2019, 12:06:33 AM
I used my Olight S2 Baton as a backlight to try and get my aged and apparently dead MacBook to boot up.  The light worked great, the computer, not so much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2431 on: September 04, 2019, 08:14:23 PM
I used my Olight S2 Baton as a backlight to try and get my aged and apparently dead MacBook to boot up.  The light worked great, the computer, not so much.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I hate when that happens. Today's computers just aren't built to last. I had a HP Pavillion desktop last from 2001 to when my folks got rid of it in 2015. It still worked, but was as slow as a snail.  Its replacement only lasted five years (back when All-in-Ones were all the rage) when it died in the middle of a college exam; and now the Asus that replaced that HP is now going on 5 years of age. I loved the Acer laptop I had--but the wireless adapter or antenna broke. It's 6. I might try to replace those parts and see if it works. So far, what fixed the other two laptops in the house didn't work on the Acer.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2432 on: September 15, 2019, 03:03:11 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #2433 on: October 02, 2019, 05:04:50 PM
Amici,
Here's my kit along with an Olight S1R Baton..

Cheers,
Serge
EDC.jpeg
* EDC.jpeg (Filesize: 223.03 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2434 on: November 04, 2019, 10:45:52 PM
FW3A. Lovin it so far.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2435 on: November 10, 2019, 01:52:21 AM
I just realized I’ve accumulated a few more lights than I thought. In addition to these, there are two more i3e’s in the tool kits in the cars, and 2 x energizer AA clicky lights in the get home bags.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2436 on: November 14, 2019, 02:22:23 AM
Blew the cobwebs off this one tonight
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline William

Reply #2437 on: November 14, 2019, 09:52:35 PM
Recently picked up a FreLux Synergy1. It's a 2XAAA side-by-side made in the US.
Very impressed with the quality and it feels great in the hand. It is a modular design so you can mix and match different colors on the body and clip. Could be my new favorite (I know, I know).

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2438 on: November 15, 2019, 12:38:05 AM
Looks great!  :like:

So, does this mean we can expect to see som of those lovely Peaks on the BST?  :whistle:

us Offline William

Reply #2439 on: November 15, 2019, 12:50:52 AM
Looks great!  :like:

So, does this mean we can expect to see som of those lovely Peaks on the BST?  :whistle:

Thanks but not quite yet. More coming though.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2440 on: November 15, 2019, 01:55:57 AM
 :tu:

I was just kidding anyhow  :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2441 on: November 15, 2019, 03:13:29 AM
HDS Rotary as typical

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2442 on: November 15, 2019, 03:47:11 AM
HDS Rotary as typical
(Image removed from quote.)

Love the smoky scales. What will it take for you to give up your rotary? Just curious. Is there anything about it that you don’t like?

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #2443 on: November 15, 2019, 04:23:14 AM
The rotary style has me looking real hard at the Jetbeam RRT-01
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2444 on: November 15, 2019, 05:23:55 AM
Love the smoky scales. What will it take for you to give up your rotary? Just curious. Is there anything about it that you don’t like?

Thanks on the scales.

As far as the HDS rotary, I think it would take a lot for me to give it up, because for me it is such a great light with many features that I love.  I might give it up if I could get a smaller and lighter flashlight that still had all the features and reliability of the HDS rotary while giving a higher max lumen.

There are a few things where I might like it better “if” but these aren’t really dislikes.  Some examples of what I mean:
- it would be nice if the light was a little smaller and lighter, but currently it is still pocketable and I have gotten use to it
- it would be nice if brightness change was smooth rather than steps, but that is not a deal breaker, because I like it better than any others I have tried with rotary or ramping adjustment.
- A higher max lumen would be nice, especially if could also be HiCri, but the 325NLT is sufficient for my normally everyday needs.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2445 on: November 15, 2019, 05:48:38 AM
The rotary style has me looking real hard at the Jetbeam RRT-01

The Jetbeam RRT-01 is a really nice light.  The only thing that I do not like about it is that it only turns on at low and off at low, inless you want to turn off by loosening the battery compartment.  To get to any brightness level you must progress through all levels from low then back.  If you like ramping lights, you may really like the rotary, because I feel it gives more incremental control than single button ramping.  Personally I prefer the button plus rotary UI, which a previous version of this light had, but this one does not.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2446 on: November 15, 2019, 01:23:30 PM
The Jetbeam RRT-01 is a really nice light.  The only thing that I do not like about it is that it only turns on at low and off at low, inless you want to turn off by loosening the battery compartment.  To get to any brightness level you must progress through all levels from low then back.  If you like ramping lights, you may really like the rotary, because I feel it gives more incremental control than single button ramping.  Personally I prefer the button plus rotary UI, which a previous version of this light had, but this one does not.

Are you saying this one has the Tactical interface too?

I far prefer the standard Rotary interface as I get twice the number of steps on the Rotary and I really have no need or love for the Strobe stuff at all.

I got one to give it a try but have considered getting it reprogrammed to be a standard rotary because of the coarseness of the fewer steps and lack of range on the dial with the Tactical interface.

I liked the Jetbeam for a short while too but the lack of a switch made it impractical for me to carry as they ALL turn on in my pocket all the time if there is no actual on/off switch.

Many still do even with the switch but that one was one of the worst or me.

us Offline William

Reply #2447 on: November 15, 2019, 04:36:37 PM
I purchased the original RRT-01 a while ago and sold it quickly.  The control ring was too easy to rotate. Just recently got the 2019 version and really like it.  There is a definite firm detent at both ends so much more secure in my opinion.
Even using the battery that came with it.

us Offline Sos24

What light did you carry today?
Reply #2448 on: November 15, 2019, 05:49:50 PM
Are you saying this one has the Tactical interface too?

I far prefer the standard Rotary interface as I get twice the number of steps on the Rotary and I really have no need or love for the Strobe stuff at all.

I got one to give it a try but have considered getting it reprogrammed to be a standard rotary because of the coarseness of the fewer steps and lack of range on the dial with the Tactical interface.

I liked the Jetbeam for a short while too but the lack of a switch made it impractical for me to carry as they ALL turn on in my pocket all the time if there is no actual on/off switch.

Many still do even with the switch but that one was one of the worst or me.

I’m sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but no. 
I was saying that because the RRT does not have a switch and off is located at the low end, you do not have the option of turning the RRT on/off anywhere but low unless you partially unscrew the battery compartment as on/off.

I felt the same with the HDS Tactical.  When I sent mine in to get the upgraded software, I asked Henry to switch it to an EDC Rotary vice EDC Tactical Interface and am really happy I did.   With the Rotary you can still see the steps in brightness levels as you go thru them slow, but it is not drastic like the tactical.  When I was replying to ROC, I just meant having infinite levels on the rotary so it was smooth ramping would be ideal in my opinion, but the Rotary is still great.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2449 on: November 15, 2019, 07:07:57 PM
I’m sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but no. 
I was saying that because the RRT does not have a switch and off is located at the low end, you do not have the option of turning the RRT on/off anywhere but low unless you partially unscrew the battery compartment as on/off.

I felt the same with the HDS Tactical.  When I sent mine in to get the upgraded software, I asked Henry to switch it to an EDC Rotary vice EDC Tactical Interface and am really happy I did.   With the Rotary you can still see the steps in brightness levels as you go thru them slow, but it is not drastic like the tactical.  When I was replying to ROC, I just meant having infinite levels on the rotary so it was smooth ramping would be ideal in my opinion, but the Rotary is still great.

No I am sorry I did not misunderstand and was not really asking about the RRT at all but only the comment about the HDS and was trying to figure out of the model number you listed was the Tac interface and not the standard Rotary,Whew!

I just didn't and still do not know what you mean by the term "button plus rotary"?
Are you saying the way the HDS is with the Rotary Encoder Dial AND a Button on the end vs. the RRT dial only operation?

It is hard not to agree with this if thats what you mean!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2450 on: November 15, 2019, 07:38:44 PM
No I am sorry I did not misunderstand and was not really asking about the RRT at all but only the comment about the HDS and was trying to figure out of the model number you listed was the Tac interface and not the standard Rotary,Whew!

I just didn't and still do not know what you mean by the term "button plus rotary"?
Are you saying the way the HDS is with the Rotary Encoder Dial AND a Button on the end vs. the RRT dial only operation?

It is hard not to agree with this if thats what you mean!

Yes, "tail switch" is what I meant and would have been clearer.  I like how the HDS' tail switch allows on/off at any brightness plus immediate access to high.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2451 on: November 15, 2019, 09:44:22 PM
I purchased the original RRT-01 a while ago and sold it quickly.  The control ring was too easy to rotate. Just recently got the 2019 version and really like it.  There is a definite firm detent at both ends so much more secure in my opinion.
Even using the battery that came with it.
(Image removed from quote.)

So decreased odds of turning on in your pocket with the newer models?

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2452 on: November 15, 2019, 10:19:22 PM
So decreased odds of turning on in your pocket with the newer models?
Yes, althoughI did still have it happen a couple times.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2453 on: November 15, 2019, 11:35:20 PM
Yes, althoughI did still have it happen a couple times.

Yikes. I may not go that direction after all. I mean, I know the RRT turns on at the lowest setting, so I doubt there would be a burn issue...but the thought of my light draining without me knowing it is a problem for me.

One thing that absolutely drives me crazy...the lights go out and someone has a light that they have not checked the batteries in for a year and it is dead. If I was like, "No worries, I have a light right here," and it was dead, I would be embarrassed.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2454 on: November 16, 2019, 12:02:26 AM
Yikes. I may not go that direction after all. I mean, I know the RRT turns on at the lowest setting, so I doubt there would be a burn issue...but the thought of my light draining without me knowing it is a problem for me.

One thing that absolutely drives me crazy...the lights go out and someone has a light that they have not checked the batteries in for a year and it is dead. If I was like, "No worries, I have a light right here," and it was dead, I would be embarrassed.
Well how do you think i knew it was on in my pocket?
It was not from being on the lowest setting if you get my drift!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2455 on: November 16, 2019, 12:05:35 AM

Agree.  With the RRT, it was in a pocket with some other stuff and I think it must have turned on at one point when I was putting my hand in/ pulling out. 

That is also why I’m picky about my keychain light.  I hand one with a touch switch, that even though in “lock-out” still drain battery by the switch getting touched by almost anything.  Fortunately, I frequently check my lights to make sure good and it is back-up.  Now, keychain is always a twist that will not easily twist and doesn’t light when pressed like some.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2456 on: November 16, 2019, 12:14:44 AM
Well how do you think i knew it was on in my pocket?
It was not from being on the lowest setting if you get my drift!

Ummmm...ouch

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2457 on: November 16, 2019, 12:22:04 AM
Ummmm...ouch

Indeed!

I dont know what goes on in my pockets but I am almost unable to prevent a light from turning on if just floating in there on its own?
So my ZL is clipped to the top of the right pocket and never turns on by itself and I have a Ti 4/7 mini mkII floating down there on keys but it is so gritty and tough to turn that it stays off until I need it to be on!

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2458 on: November 16, 2019, 01:59:25 AM
Well, I have been in the market for a better headlamp so I found an Imalent HR20 that has a rotary wheel for light intensity. It is one of the angle head lights that fits into a mount so it can be used alone. I put in an offer on it on the bay and I am waiting to get a response.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2459 on: November 17, 2019, 10:48:55 PM
IYP 365 got some love today. Perfect flannel pocket carry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%