Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Felinevet shipping charge going up?

jzmtl · 41 · 3635

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Felinevet shipping charge going up?
on: May 08, 2009, 06:09:02 AM
Anybody outside u.s. noticed? I recall a while ago it was $5 to Canada, but a recent quote is now $8, seems getting high consider he has free shipping to u.s. and it costs a buck more to Canada via first class. Too bad, it negate any price advantage he had, and it's cheaper to get stuff elsewhere.  :(

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: Felinevet shipping charge going up?
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 06:27:07 AM
:think: PM me with what you want and where you can get it cheaper and I'll see what I can do. It is my intention to serve members here and on SOSAK as your resident dealer. Your satisfaction is my goal.
T

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 06:34:21 AM
:think: PM me with what you want and where you can get it cheaper and I'll see what I can do. It is my intention to serve members here and on SOSAK as your resident dealer. Your satisfaction is my goal.

now that's customer service! :salute:
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:51:31 AM
Thanks for the offer Tim, I already picked one up from a local store. I'm mainly wondering about the shipping price for future reference, since I'm sure I'll still buy a couple more SAK in the future.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:57:15 AM
No one likes shipping but until we get teleportation sussed (without the whole mutating into a fly thing) its a fact of life :)

Must say though I find Tim's rates most reasonable, especially when you look at what half the sellers on ebay charge.  Now I don't know how it works for Tim but sending stuff abroad normally involves extra paperwork and sadly extra risk, so I don't think its unreasonable to charge more.  Just my 2p.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:08 PM
I recently had contact with Marc from EDC Depot and he told me that shipping is getting more expensive in the future. I guess you/they can't do anything about it or our suppliers have buy their own plains and to start their own postal service  :D But that will not be less expensive I recon.

I say, lets look into that teleportation thing once again  :D

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 02:46:29 PM

You bring the technology, I'll bring the insecticide  :tu: :D

Neil

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 03:03:20 PM
I have a fair bit of stuff on it's way from Tim & he charged a lot less than if I had bought multiple items from a ebay seller. So for me Tim's postage costs were great. :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 03:14:08 PM
Many things have gone up, it's the economy and it's a business.

IMO felinevet is one of the best out there, look at what his response was!
and that wasn't the first time he's done that for us.

Tim your "Da Man" and I will continue to support you and recommend you :salute:

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 05:00:08 PM
The last time I purchased from Tim, he sent me 2 SAKs for $8 shipping. Perhaps the 8$ is a minimum shipping charge, so the trick is to get more than one thing?  :think:

I have to admit, an extra $8 is pretty steep for Canada. But Tim's initial low prices make the total amount fairly comparable to other sellers. Any difference I look at as just a donation to the kitties. :tu:  :D

[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 06:04:27 PM
Tim has always shipped at the best price possible to us outside the UK.  He is far far cheaper than most I have questioned before about postage costs.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 06:57:01 PM
Last order I placed (might have been my only order - can't recall) shipping was $8.

I tend to order single items, so I just keep the shipping cost plus exchange rate in mind when shopping around to see where to get the best deal.

It's all part of internet shopping.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 07:16:19 PM
Tim has always shipped at the best price possible to us outside the UK.  He is far far cheaper than most I have questioned before about postage costs.
I'll echo both Ben and Neil statements :)

Tim is reasonable in the extreme :tu:, certainly I've paid more postage domestcally >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 07:42:12 PM
Could be because postage is going up yet again on Monday.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 09:07:59 PM
No one likes shipping but until we get teleportation sussed (without the whole mutating into a fly thing) its a fact of life :)

Must say though I find Tim's rates most reasonable, especially when you look at what half the sellers on ebay charge.  Now I don't know how it works for Tim but sending stuff abroad normally involves extra paperwork and sadly extra risk, so I don't think its unreasonable to charge more.  Just my 2p.

Neil

I don't know about u.s., but for me shipping outside canada only means only one more page to fill out for the online form before printing out postage label, then everything else is the same as domestic.

Last order I placed (might have been my only order - can't recall) shipping was $8.

I tend to order single items, so I just keep the shipping cost plus exchange rate in mind when shopping around to see where to get the best deal.

It's all part of internet shopping.

Yeah I tend to do that too, but after everything is figured in it's about the same to just drop by MEC and pick one up (for some models).

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 12:00:48 AM

now that's customer service! :salute:

Tim is a great guy, and NOBODY here should ever forget!! :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 12:18:21 AM

You bring the technology, I'll bring the insecticide  :tu: :D

Neil

I've almost got this sussed actually, in fact I think it's already working.

Problem is, until someone invents a receiving machine, I can't test it out  :P

:b2t:

jzmtl's comments got me thinking, and now I wonder how many packages Tim sends out in the average week? I'm betting it's enough to make "flat rate" shipping very worthwhile. I like to think that the Canadian contingent are subsidising the stuff we Brits get from Tim :D

I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 05:31:47 AM
Gotta be careful about flat rate shipping, as it can be more expensive instead of cheaper.

Here are the options I had for shipping 2 flashlights totalling in at 11 ounces from Alaska to where I live:

Express Mail International 5 Days $30.00
Express Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope 5 Days $25.95
Priority Mail International 6-10 Days $19.00
Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope 6-10 Days $10.95
First-Class Mail International Large Envelope Varies $3.61

Priority or First-Class International takes 12 - 14 days to get here anyway (the USPS numbers are SWAGs IMHO) , so why pay the extra money?

I have a package inbound from the US that used a flat-rate box, and that was $13.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 06:39:31 AM
Gotta be careful about flat rate shipping, as it can be more expensive instead of cheaper.

Here are the options I had for shipping 2 flashlights totalling in at 11 ounces from Alaska to where I live:

Priority or First-Class International takes 12 - 14 days to get here anyway (the USPS numbers are SWAGs IMHO) , so why pay the extra money?

I have a package inbound from the US that used a flat-rate box, and that was $13.

Gerber IU from sigman? I wanted one but that would break my own rule of user only.

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 07:50:29 AM
Yep. GIU w/RED LED and a trio.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 09:17:00 AM

I almost always request First-Class Mail International when dealing with a US seller. It usually only takes 8-10 business days to arrive in Toronto which is good enough for most things.

I'm usually not in a hurry anyway.

The only thing that bugs me is when the sender grossly inflates the price of the item on the customs form. I don't mind paying for the correct customs amount, but I don't want to pay triple that amount just because the sender didn't understand the form. It so simple - you just write "Tools" under description and the amount paid the buyer paid for them under value.

I think senders sometimes confuse the customs form with an insurance form and think they are doing you a favour by increasing the amount. Othertimes, they put in the full MRSP they paid years ago, while the items has since developed into a $5 piece of junk over the last ten years.

And don't be afraid to put "Gift" on the customs form when it is a legitimate gift, like with all the givaways here and presents...

None of this has anything to do with the Catman though. I was just venting like a grouch about some sellers I have dealt with in the past.... :ahhh :D

Whenever I can, I'd much rather buy things here than on eBay. The quality of the regular sellers on MT.O is just superb.  :salute:  ;)

That is another reason for me to deal with Tim too. I know the transaction will wind up fine, even if a snag does arise along the way.

I ordered 2 sets of securty torx in mid-March from what seemed like a reputable business in Canada - Boss Tools. The processed my payment and them told me they were out of stock on both items and they wouldn't have them in for a week or so at the absolute latest. 2 weeks later after the deadline they promised me, they told me my items were actually arriving at the end of the next month. They seemed to think there was no reason to inform me. Guess what - the month has passed now and they still don't have them. And these are just the cheap security torx sets you can get almost anywhere.

So service and name are more important than saving a couple of dollars. How I wish I was dealing with Tim or one of the great sellers here instead of this company giving me the brushoff.

Whoops! Sorry if I hijacked the thread! I just needed to get this stuff of my chest to a some people who might understand some of where I am coming from (hopefully)....  :D :D

[

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 01:57:34 PM
...I just needed to get this stuff of my chest to a some people who might understand some of where I am coming from (hopefully)....  :D :D

I understand entirely.  I remember a couple of years back ordering a lump of electronics from a US seller.  Value was nearly $200 so I was a bit miffed when he put $300 on the customs form as I had to pay tax on his smurf up  >:(

Neil

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 04:37:25 PM
I almost always request First-Class Mail International when dealing with a US seller. It usually only takes 8-10 business days to arrive in Toronto which is good enough for most things.

I just needed to get this stuff of my chest to a some people who might understand some of where I am coming from (hopefully)....  :D :D
I always ask for First-Class International as well.  If the seller doesn't offer that option, they don't get my business (there are some exceptions).

I completely agree about the customs forms snafus.
There is one site I have been on that actually lets you specify what you want on the customs form as part of the ordering process. 
I chuckled when I saw that.

BTW, Tim is not the only highly regarded US based seller that is affected by my "shipping costs and exchange rate are part of the price" rule.
I'd like to order more from him, but the end price has to be less than what is available locally in order for me to pull the trigger.

I do the same with eBay auctions as well.  I've been fortunate to snag some major deals on retired SAKs thanks to TSA forfeitures.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 05:15:58 PM
Could be because postage is going up yet again on Monday.

Yup that's what I was going to say.

Shipping prices never go down...they always go up :P
[

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 05:43:08 PM
Despite the fact that U.S. Postal rates have gone up twice and are going up again in a couple of days, I have decided - for MT and SOSAK members only - to return to $5. shipping to Canada for one or two regular knives. Will need more for larger items or multiple knives.  :cheers:
T

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 05:45:30 PM
What can we say other than "Thanks!" :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 06:35:13 PM
Despite the fact that U.S. Postal rates have gone up twice and are going up again in a couple of days, I have decided - for MT and SOSAK members only - to return to $5. shipping to Canada for one or two regular knives. Will need more for larger items or multiple knives.  :cheers:
Damn decent of you mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 07:07:46 PM
Thanks, Tim! :tu: :salute:
[

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 09:05:12 PM
Greatly appreciated Tim  :tu: