Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Sog?

Fred · 72 · 13283

Offline supratentorial

Re: New Sog?
Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 08:31:48 AM
Are you talking about the collaborative project of SOG, Victorinox, and Leatherman?  It's a titanium SwissTool with compound leverage pliers, a S30V one-hand opening drop point blade, and a pocket clip.  They had originally agreed to reissue the Leatherman Flair with compound leverage and a S30V one hand opening c0cktail fork.  But Tim thought there was a possibility of prohibition being reinstated and was worried it would have a negative impact on sales.

...seriously though, I'll be interested in hearing what SOG has up their sleeve.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:03:54 AM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 01:00:29 PM
.....I like that S30V one-hand opening c0cktail fork idea!   O0
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 03:28:53 AM
I talked to the guys at SOG there are going to be two new multitools and a improvement of the powerlock called the powerlock 2.0.  There is a sneak peek of one of the new tools on their website under the blog.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 04:45:32 AM
I talked to the guys at SOG there are going to be two new multitools and a improvement of the powerlock called the powerlock 2.0.  There is a sneak peek of one of the new tools on their website under the blog.

The caption reads "This one should get you excited."

That is exciting.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 05:18:50 AM
...is that...plastic?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 04:02:38 AM
Hmmm......I see outside opening blades.....and the plastic is only on one handle........maybe the plastic is the cover for a driver bit compartment, like a Wenger MiniGrip has?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 11:44:26 AM
Funny, I was caught on the different pivot pins on each handle.

I wonder if this is a prototype, and if so, how far along it is?  I'd hate to be teased with so many interesting things only to have them lost before it hits production.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 03:32:31 AM
Hmmm......I see outside opening blades.....and the plastic is only on one handle........maybe the plastic is the cover for a driver bit compartment, like a Wenger MiniGrip has?
I have been wanting a SOG, but the only thing really holding me back is the way you have to get to the tools on the inside.  Lifting up that little cover then getting the tool out, then closing the cover...too much work. Probably a trivial nuisance but I like my tool to be quick and easy to use.  However if those are outside blades I think I will be sleeping on the couch when it is released.  (as in the wife won't be happy when it shows up on my doorstep))

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 03:34:38 AM
I have similar feelings about the SOGs available now.  Great ideas, but a tool should be accessible quickly and easily.  If one had time to plan, one wouldn't need a multitool, would one?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 04:13:06 AM
The picture is odd.  If I am going to be teased at least let me see what you have.  I hope there are outboard opening tools and a blade that is not quite as thin as the standard powerlock.  I wont get my hopes up though.  I seen a pic last year of the SOG double duty or somthing like that.  It was a prototype folding knife with 2 assissted opening blades one serrated and the other plain.  Anyway, it seemed like a definate keeper but it never came to be. :(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 12:28:09 PM
I hate it when companies do that.  :(

SOG has been hinting this new tool up for a long time though. Hopefully they will make it to the production stage.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 08:47:29 PM
I agree... The PowerLock is a nice design, but it is falling behind some of the newer offerings from other manufacturers.

Of course, if SOG's reputation is anything to go on, this one should be pretty fantastic.

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 05:08:16 PM
Are we there yet?

...Any word on a release date?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 02:51:56 AM
Nothing new on the SOG website yet except that teaser pic.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 12:04:41 PM
My contact at SOG has promised me some more info soon...

As soon as I get it I will post it.

Def

Offline mrskillz

• New User
Reply #45 on: January 19, 2007, 01:17:27 AM
The PDF for the new SOGs is now available for download :D
here: http://www.sogknives.com/news/press/presszip/SOG-2007-NewProd.pdf

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: January 19, 2007, 01:40:30 AM
I was just gonna post that!

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 19, 2007, 08:13:11 AM
Very interesting!
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: January 20, 2007, 02:17:38 AM
Wow, there are a lot of innovations in the tools described on that PDF page. I'm proud of SOG for investing the time and effort to keep pace with larger competitors. I can't wait to see these tools first hand!

Check out those "Piano-Locks" blade releases. At first glance, they remind me of SwissTool individual backsprings. But these from SOG are individual lock releases, not backsprings. What do you guys think?

* piano locks.jpg (Filesize: 41.19 KB)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 20, 2007, 02:51:51 AM
The PowerAssist looks interesting. I have a Flash 2 folder that uses SOGs assisted opening and really cool.  You just barely push open the blade and flips open nice and smooth.  We'll have to wait and see how useful it will be on a multitool.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: January 20, 2007, 07:55:51 PM
New picture of the PowerAssist posted in the SOG blog:  http://sogknives.com/wordpress/

* SOG PowerAssist.jpg (Filesize: 52.67 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: January 21, 2007, 02:20:25 AM
Well for cripes sake.  :P

Somehow I missed seeing all those other cool pictures the first time: http://sogknives.com/wordpress/?p=56#more-56

Pretty cool!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #52 on: January 21, 2007, 04:39:33 AM
...Check out those "Piano-Locks" blade releases. At first glance, they remind me of SwissTool individual backsprings. But these from SOG are individual lock releases, not backsprings. What do you guys think?

I don't understand the motivation for individual locks.  Is the intention so you can lock 2 or more tools open simultaneously?

Wonder if the increased complexity allows dust/dirt to collect in between the individual locks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #53 on: January 21, 2007, 04:49:08 AM
Is there a list of tools available yet?  It looks like an entire handle was wiped out for that speed assist knife...
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 04:55:35 AM
It looks that way to me as well.  As for what tools are in it, it looks like a good variety of standard SOG tools, which is good because it will allow you to continue to customize your tool.

Def

* SOG.JPG (Filesize: 14 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: January 23, 2007, 02:57:10 AM
I don't understand the motivation for individual locks.  Is the intention so you can lock 2 or more tools open simultaneously?

Wonder if the increased complexity allows dust/dirt to collect in between the individual locks.

I still haven't figured out the intent of those piano lock keys.  ??? SOG doesn't offer much of an explanation in their literature so far, but it's early yet. We'll see if they explain the darn things better once they get the new tools posted on their regular web page.

Is there a list of tools available yet?  It looks like an entire handle was wiped out for that speed assist knife...

It appears there are two one-hand opening knives, with some type of speed/assist mechanism running down the center.

* SOG-PowerAssist-011_1.jpg (Filesize: 47.12 KB)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #56 on: January 23, 2007, 10:31:29 AM
"individually lock open with the new patent pending Piano-Locks"

They've lost me.  Why would you need/want separte locks for each tool?

""Blade: 3.75” x .125”....Edge: Straight"

Are both of the assisted opening knives the same type of blade?  Although I like the plain edge assisted opening blade, I'd prefer a choice of a plain edge sheepfoot or a v-cutter for the second assisted opening blade.  Why isn't the v-cutter an assisted opening tool?  I don't find it practical to have a rescue tool burried in the handle. 

The gear covers are a welcome addition but they may cause problems IF they trap sand or other debris. 

The PowerLocks that I've seen weren't completely filled with tools.  The S62 and presumably other models have a large plastic spacer on the side with the bit adapter.  With the extra space in the old design and the knives outside in the new design, accommodating a sufficient selection of tools on one handle probably didn't require any effort.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:49:51 AM by supratentorial »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #57 on: January 25, 2007, 05:48:39 AM
...Don't get me wrong.  Let's not get stuck on the "piano keys".  They should pat themselves on the back for introducing assisted opening blades on a multi-tool and putting covers on the compound leverage gears.  It seems they have been listening to feedback from customers and have taken it seriously.  I hope my criticism is considered constructive.  I think the assisted opening blades will make this a big seller (if it's priced competitively) but I'd like to see them step it up even another notch-- individual springs, a drop point and sheepfoot combo, or the first assisted opening v-cutter on a multi-tool.     
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:12:08 PM by supratentorial »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #58 on: January 25, 2007, 06:50:05 AM
I'd like to handle one before I say it's better than my Powerlock...1.0 I guess we call them now?  The new locking mechanism looks interesting..

The assisted opening knife seems like it would engage easily (which is the point of it I guess), but I don't see a real need for it.  Many people carry a stand alone knife anyways, and it looks like it would fly open when you didn't want it to.

The gears never got in my way; I like them the way they are.  Easy to clean IMO...maybe the gear covers are removeable?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: January 27, 2007, 06:14:56 PM
The gears never got in my way; I like them the way they are.  Easy to clean IMO...maybe the gear covers are removeable?

The gear covers on the Paladin tools (made by SOG) have what appear to be the same gear covers. They are riveted on, not removable.

* sog paladin.jpg (Filesize: 67.08 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%