Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

BREAKING NEWS! LATEST FROM LEATHERMAN!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
BREAKING NEWS! LATEST FROM LEATHERMAN!
on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:17 AM
I just wanted to be the first to pas son the info I just got from Leatherman Tool Group:

Well the Super Tool is coming back… Super Tool 300 will ship in Sept. I have attached everything I am sending out to folks and you are welcome to post anything you want J I won’t have a prototype for you until July L But I will definitely send it out to you if I get something sooner. We’re going to be having a black oxide version right off the bat too. Usually that doesn’t come till later. Because the wire cutters are replaceable, we’re not going to warranty those (they will be treated like our bits – an accessory). Call me is you have ANY questions – happy to fill you in on everything J

Enjoy J

And, what fun would this be without pictures?

I have a press release and a couple of pdf's with more info, but that will have to wait until such time as I am not heading out the door to get to work!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: BREAKING NEWS! LATEST FROM LEATHERMAN!
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:33:37 AM
Press Release:

Super Tool 300—the original heavy-duty multi-tool is back!

This fall, Leatherman will be bringing back Super Tool® with plenty of new and upgraded features. The new Super Tool 300 (ST300) will continue the long tradition of preparing the working man and DIYers alike for the expected and unexpected.

The new ST300 has more than 10 years of compiled customer feedback and engineering expertise in every feature. Each one is designed to address the user who demands strength, quick access to tools, and comfort for tough jobs.

Arguably the most important feature of the ST300, the pliers have been optimized for strength. To maintain the balance of materials when making room for the new removable wire cutters, more steel was added to key areas, making them the strongest, beefiest pilers we’ve ever produced. In addition the neck of the pliers is sloped for reaching even further into tight spaces.

Cutting wire—regular, stranded, or hard—is a common application on the job. When frequent, heavy pressure is applied, cutters can become dented and dull, causing the pliers to stick and jam up. By making the regular/hard-wire cutters removable they can be sharpened or replaced on the spot (replacement cutters sold separately). In addition, by optimizing the heat treatment process and replacing the standard stainless steel with premium 154CM the wire cutters will hold an edge three times as long for maximum durability.

The idea of “clumping” was originally introduced with the first Super Tool. By pulling on only one tool, you would get them all from the handle at once, including the knives. To improve on safety, the new ST300 has just that, “Edge-safety Clumping”. If you pull on either of the two knifes they are the only implement that will come out. Conversely if you pull on any of the other features the sharp-edged ones stay put.

The ST300 straight blade is hollow ground for easy sharpening. Screwdrivers are in the sizes professionals use most and are also hollow ground for a better fit. The handles are rounded for comfort and have cut outs on the side to easily access blades when wearing bulky work gloves. The locks on the ST300 have been strengthened to ensure full engagement when the features are under heavy use.

ST300 will ship in September 2009 for distribution worldwide and will come with Leatherman’s industry-leading, 25-year warranty. MSRP for the ST300 will be $84.00 (USD). A black oxide version with cap crimper will also be available at an MSRP of $97.00 (USD).

History of the Super Tool
The original Super Tool was introduced in 1994. The first multi-tool of its size and strength, it was an instant success selling more than one million units in the first two years alone. In 2001 modifications were made and the Super Tool 200 hit the market. The new ST200 featured moon-shaped locks on the handle sides, instead of the original all-in-one locking system. Customers still raved about the tool’s strength and many applications, but the locks and “clumping” were not as user friendly as they would have liked. Enter the Core®.

In 2005 Leatherman revised the ST200 putting new locks on the back sides of the handles and doing away with “clumping”. The jaws were re-designed for strength and the new tool was called the Core. Underestimating the popularity of this new tool and how quickly it would be adopted for every day use on job sites the world over, the lock design and tool accessibility was not what it could be. Fast forward to 2009 and the Super Tool 300. This new design, specifically for heavy-duty, on-the-job use is sure to find its place in tool belts, gear boxes, saddle bags, MOLLE vests, and center consuls the world over.

About Leatherman
Founded in 1983, Portland, Oregon-based Leatherman Tool Group is known for producing the world’s most precisely engineered multi-tools, knives, pruners and lights. Leatherman’s engineering standards remain unmatched in the industry today. With new products for trades, hunting, outdoor, fishing, gardening and general purpose, the Leatherman tradition of innovation, tight specifications and premium materials continues to endure.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:35:19 AM
HOLY F****** S***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

ME WANT, ME WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
A

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:38:10 AM
 :o So, that is what the new Core email was about! I remember, new locking mechanism, more so glove friendly implements, and the replacable cutters! Is there zytel in it?
B

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:38:40 AM
Yeah I will be getting a couple of those in both styles.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:39:24 AM
Supertools don't have Zytel!   :twak:  :D

Def

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:41:29 AM
O and my new desktop pic

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:42:03 AM
154CM wire cutters......nice 8)
A

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 02:44:05 AM
I cant quit looking at it.....Looks like I will need to find someone to pre order this thing from

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 02:45:42 AM
this will hurt :( till september? :cry:
A

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 02:47:07 AM
I never thought I'd be, but I'm excited about a Leatherman tool :tu:

This seriously looks like Leatherman did some research (and read posts here at MT.org) and went back to basics.

I'd love to get my hands on a BO one.

[

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 02:50:32 AM
HOLY F****** S***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

ME WANT, ME WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Also if it doesn't have plastic it will literally be Perfection.
(

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 02:53:58 AM
Now that is a Leatherman that I could learn to love!!!  It looks nearly perfect on paper.  If it only had a diamond file. But I can live with the standard file.
--
'Buzz

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 02:55:40 AM
It's meant for heavy use and I'd imagine that a single cut file would be good!
B

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:57:08 AM
OK so hear me out Leatherman.....Remodel the PST now!!!!!!!!!!......seriously I WANT THIS TOOL NOW.  I started carrying my orginal Supertool and love it.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 02:59:44 AM
OK so hear me out Leatherman.....Remodel the PST now!!!!!!!!!!......seriously I WANT THIS TOOL NOW.  I started carrying my orginal Supertool and love it.

oh man, if this is the begining of something bigger, that would will be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do the sideclip next, pretty please :) :)
A

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 03:07:15 AM
OH MY HOLY EXPLETIVES

154CM Cutters!!!

All metal!!!

I'm going to need a moment here guys...

Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 03:13:01 AM
I think I have just lost interest in all other brands.  :multi:
(

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 03:15:50 AM
  I wonder what it's going to weigh in at?  ???  The old Supertools were about 9 oz.  The Core is over 10 oz.  The Surge is over 12.  I'm probably dreaming of it coming in under nine ounces?  At that weight I might get one, but if not that's all I need another drawer queen.  Anyhow nice lookin' tool Leatherman.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 03:18:51 AM
Completely impressive.

If it functions as advertised, it will be a huge step forward.  Especially for Leatherman since the wire cutters are replaceable without warranty claims.

I wish it had a bit driver in there, but aside from that, it looks to be a user--every day, heavy hardcore user.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 03:24:27 AM
 :drool: :gimme: :drool:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:56 AM

I wish it had a bit driver in there,

It looks to me that it doesn't stray from the usual locking mechanism/dimensions of existing tools, so adding a bit driver may be possible.
[

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 03:26:38 AM
I'm sure you can add a bit driver if you want, but me, I don't want one on here. I want those long reaching heavy duty drivers!
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 03:27:20 AM
price tag is a little more than I am used to giving but hey if its all that it says it is then I will pay it.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 03:31:08 AM
Def, any word on the materials? besides the cool wire cutters?
A

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 03:32:18 AM
This is the product of what happens when a Wave and a Kick have sex together :drool: :drool: :drool:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 03:34:50 AM
This is the product of what happens when a Wave and a Kick have sex together :drool: :drool: :drool:
Going by the cutters I would say one of them was sneakin around with a gerber also 8)
Dennis

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 03:36:30 AM
Going by the cutters I would say one of them was sneakin around with a gerber also 8)

true :D
A

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 03:41:23 AM
The return of the knurled fasteners... ::) Question: If the wire cutters have a hard wire notch, what is that small arrow at the base of the pliers? :think:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 03:42:20 AM

true :D
I don't care who was diddling who,or what.I want one!
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD