Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which FOLDING KNIFE did you carry today?

Sean · 13368 · 709791

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: Which FOLDING KNIFE did you carry today?
Reply #120 on: July 03, 2009, 08:08:45 PM
Ok,

I was interested in this also so I grabbed my breadboard and Salt and gave it a go.  It does have some play but I hadn't noticed it before because it takes quite a bit of pressure downward on the handle to feel the play.  But it is  definitely there.  However, I cannot hear any clicking sound just a slight bit of movement.  Hope this helps.

I also, checked some other lock backs.  They all have movement in them which includes the delica, endura, bob dozier, and the meadowlark.  The meadowlark has the least movement but is black stainless not frn/zytel.  The endura is the only one that I hear a noticeable clicking sound.  Interesting experiment.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:16:14 PM by Sean »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #121 on: July 03, 2009, 08:16:18 PM
Ok,

I was interested in this also so I grabbed my breadboard and Salt and gave it a go.  It does have some play but I hadn't noticed it before because it takes quite a bit of pressure downward on the handle to feel the play.  But it is  definitely there.  However, I cannot hear any clicking sound just a slight bit of movement.  Hope this helps.

Sean

Thanks.  :tu:  Hope it doesn't now bug you.  :D

Just in case anyone is interested, you can get play in Spyderco lockbacks due to the design of the notch that it has.  Typical lockbacks have a V typed notch and the lock bar has a wedge shape "pin" to it.  This means that the blade is wedged open and has little to no play.  Spyderco's design is different involving a square notch and a square pin.  This (in theory) is a safer design as it is less likely to slippage and will remain locked even if the lock bar spring breaks.  The "problem" with the design though is the very tiny tolerances - trying to get a square to fit in a square slot so that it doesn't move and can be released easily must be very difficult.  Hence some play.

I'm back!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: July 03, 2009, 08:27:05 PM
No, it won't bother me.  :) 

thanks for the info on the different config's of lock backs.  I didn't realize that.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #123 on: July 03, 2009, 08:29:31 PM
Ok,

I was interested in this also so I grabbed my breadboard and Salt and gave it a go.  It does have some play but I hadn't noticed it before because it takes quite a bit of pressure downward on the handle to feel the play.  But it is  definitely there.  However, I cannot hear any clicking sound just a slight bit of movement.  Hope this helps.

I also, checked some other lock backs.  They all have movement in them which includes the delica, endura, bob dozier, and the meadowlark.  The meadowlark has the least movement but is black stainless not frn/zytel.  The endura is the only one that I hear a noticeable clicking sound.  Interesting experiment.

That sound on the Endura is what I have I expect (I'm glad someone else knows what I am on about!  :D) and it's interesting that it would be on the Endura which is nigh on the same design.

Thanks for doing the test.  :tu:
I'm back!!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: July 03, 2009, 09:27:30 PM
Carried my brand new Manix II today. And my - new too - CRKT Zilla Jr.
Nice things!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline JohnD

Reply #125 on: July 04, 2009, 08:21:57 AM
Today I broke out my UKPK, and took it for a spin.
"

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: July 04, 2009, 04:53:57 PM
Nice things!

I have a Zilla jr. and used to carry it around a fair bit at work.  I have the big Zilla as well but it's a bit big for edc.  I do like the spring loaded plier head though.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: July 04, 2009, 04:55:29 PM

that is one knife thats on my list of "to buy."

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #128 on: July 04, 2009, 05:02:57 PM

that is one knife thats on my list of "to buy."

Finally a chance! (You'll understand in a min  :D)

I have read on a few forums now of people from the US, Canada etc wanting the UKPK and what I ask is why when you can EDC a locking folder?  Personally for me, I only see the appeal of the UKPK because of the legal UK EDC element, but if lockers were permitted over here then the UKPK would be one of the last Spydies I'd be interested in.

So, what's the appeal that I am missing?
I'm back!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #129 on: July 04, 2009, 05:03:47 PM
Nice things!

How do you like that lock on the Manix 2, Woz?

Very interesting design.  I'd be interested to know how strong and durable it'll be.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #130 on: July 04, 2009, 08:00:01 PM
Pocketed the Pacific Salt for BBQ duty this afternoon;

I'm back!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: July 04, 2009, 09:59:48 PM
Benner,

I think most of my knives except old farmer style, barlow's etc lock up.  I like the UKPK because I really don't have much of a need for a locking knife.  eg: I don't pry, twist, or stab things.  That said I like how flat ground blades cut. So as a tribute to the Country it was made for I would be happy to carry and use the UKPK.  ;)

Sean

p.s btw nice pic of your SALT!  I think I might have to buy the serrated black handled version soon as well.  Have you seen the new "all black" version in H1?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:03:24 PM by Sean »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #132 on: July 04, 2009, 10:02:34 PM
Benner,

I think most of my knives except old farmer style, barlow's etc lock up.  I like the UKPK because I really don't have much of a need for a locking knife.  eg: I cut don't pry, twist, or stab things.  That said I like how flat ground blades cut. So as a tribute to the Country it was made for I would be happy to carry and use the UKPN.  ;)

Sean

Fair enough.  :)  Excluding legality, I'd personally for the Caly 3 which is very similar but has the lock (I like lockers  :D).
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #133 on: July 04, 2009, 11:01:29 PM

p.s btw nice pic of your SALT!  I think I might have to buy the serrated black handled version soon as well.  Have you seen the new "all black" version in H1?

Warriors and wonders have it in stock, but I really don't see the point of paying $15 more for a black coating.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #134 on: July 04, 2009, 11:02:59 PM
Benner,

I think most of my knives except old farmer style, barlow's etc lock up.  I like the UKPK because I really don't have much of a need for a locking knife.  eg: I don't pry, twist, or stab things.  That said I like how flat ground blades cut. So as a tribute to the Country it was made for I would be happy to carry and use the UKPK.  ;)

Sean

Yes I have and it looks pretty sweet.  :tu:  Prefer the standard bladeless coating though.
I'm back!!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #135 on: July 05, 2009, 02:37:48 AM
My Aegis is not here yet so I carried a CRKT Natural 2, still not use to the weight but the knife is just so darn beautiful it's hard no to carry it. :drool:

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #136 on: July 05, 2009, 04:04:15 AM
How do you like the Buck Vantage(?) Pro? I almost ordered one....
B

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:54 AM

Warriors and wonders have it in stock, but I really don't see the point of paying $15 more for a black coating.

Ya, it's either worth it to you or not.  I like it so I would pay the extra $15.  :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #138 on: July 05, 2009, 08:34:32 AM
My Aegis is not here yet so I carried a CRKT Natural 2, still not use to the weight but the knife is just so darn beautiful it's hard no to carry it. :drool:

How much does the Natural 2 weigh?

IIRC, the Natural was over 10 oz!

N

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #139 on: July 05, 2009, 09:15:19 AM
This one spent most of the day in my pocket, Case Dark Red Silverscript Gunboat Canoe.............

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #140 on: July 05, 2009, 10:42:29 AM
That's a real beauty mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline kiwiblade

Reply #141 on: July 05, 2009, 11:16:46 AM
a tinker i moded yesterday and a benchmade 555 hg

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #142 on: July 05, 2009, 12:07:22 PM
This one spent most of the day in my pocket, Case Dark Red Silverscript Gunboat Canoe.............

(Image removed from quote.)

2xTap

That's a bit nice  :drool:
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #143 on: July 05, 2009, 12:18:09 PM
How do you like the Buck Vantage(?) Pro? I almost ordered one....

I'm pretty keen on that one as well.
I'm back!!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #144 on: July 05, 2009, 02:36:03 PM
Sorry about the double post, darn browser was acting up. I have a Buck Vantage Pro and think it's just awesome. It's not the same since one of my friends snapped the very tip off but since it's been fixed by me (not real great) it's all good. The handle is really comfortable, opens up really smooth whether you use the thumb hole or the flipper. G-10 is smooth and has no texture except when it's wet it grabs a little. Tip up carry with a super deep clip and it rides and flicks into action very quickly. Buck got it all right, ergo's, steel and quality. I recommend the BVP for anyone who wants an S30V knife to try out.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #145 on: July 05, 2009, 06:45:18 PM
Gave this a clean and a sharpen (takes a wicked edge) and a bit of pocket time today. 

That is the 3.5" version.  I also have the 5" which is like a folding sword  :o :D

Only really wanted to post these to torment Mike.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #146 on: July 05, 2009, 07:18:23 PM
Benner,

Nice CS Twistmaster!  :tu:  Years ago I passed on some good deals on those and kick myself now for not getting them. Hell, I still don't own even a single Opinel yet!  :bnghd:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #147 on: July 05, 2009, 07:20:57 PM
Benner,

Nice CS Twistmaster!  :tu:  Years ago I passed on some good deals on those and kick myself now for not getting them. Hell, I still don't own even a single Opinel yet!  :bnghd:

2xTap

Thanks.  :tu:

You don't really hear much about them anymore, but they are good, reliable knives.  This one has actually seen a lot of use, but as you can see cleans up real nice.

Oh, and I don't own any Opinels either. Despite liking the Twistmaster, they just don't appeal to me for some reason.
I'm back!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: July 05, 2009, 07:34:39 PM
Benner,

2xTap

You don't really hear much about them anymore, but they are good, reliable knives.  This one has actually seen a lot of use, but as you can see cleans up real nice.

Oh, and I don't own any Opinels either. Despite liking the Twistmaster, they just don't appeal to me for some reason.

Thats pretty surprising given the similarities.  Any idea what puts you off them?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #149 on: July 05, 2009, 07:38:00 PM
Benner,

2xTap

Thats pretty surprising given the similarities.  Any idea what puts you off them?

I think it's the (maybe unjustified) reputation of being for light-ish use only.  I'm also not a huge fan of wooden handles on folders either.  The Twistmaster seems to be far stronger (only from what I have read, I have not tested an Opinel) and has a more substantial, zytel handle which I much prefer.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD