Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Evo S17

jzmtl · 16 · 3167

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Wenger Evo S17
on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:52 PM
I received my S17 today from edcdepot. :D  Some people say that wenger's f&f is not up to vic standard, but the S17 it definitely is.

It is wider than my current EDC vic climber, but stubbier (the scale add to quite a bit of thickness), both actually feel about the same in pocket. So far the only complain is the nail file surface is too short, they could've added another centimeter filing surface on there. The main blade is a lot thinner, and can be bent easily, but that's not really a minus. Main blade is fitted with a half stop in half open position so it cannot close on your hand when releasing the lock (unless you really try, of course).

A vic screwdriver is fitted into the corkscrew. Took some work initially, since the the channel isn't wide enough. But a drill bit took care of the problem under a minute.

I'm thinking of replacing my EDC climber with this, but I'd miss the hook for occasional grocery bag duty. :P

us Offline Pacu

Re: Wenger Evo S17
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:13:18 AM
That is nice. Wenger was kept in business by my scout troop in the mid 80's to the mid 90s :climber:

Looks like a def edc :tu:
:like:    :MTO:

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:15 AM
(

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 04:35:07 AM
I have a couple of Wengers on the way. A Handyman and a Standard Issue. I'm very interested in what the quality will be like. These will be my first ones.
--
'Buzz

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 05:02:28 AM
Congrats! I think the S17 is great too.  :cheers:

I actually like the Wenger nail file much more than Vic's. I prefer Wenger's filing surface and find the tip works better on small Phillips heads.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:16:28 AM
The locking blade sure feels weird, guess I'm just not used to having it on a standard sized SAK. Took it fishing today, I always thought the saw would be too short to really do anything, but it went through branches pretty fast! Scissors work great on slippery lines too.

Offline silentio

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:02:09 PM
The locking blade sure feels weird, guess I'm just not used to having it on a standard sized SAK. Took it fishing today, I always thought the saw would be too short to really do anything, but it went through branches pretty fast! Scissors work great on slippery lines too.

Oh wow, I had no idea there were locking blades on 85mm (it looks like 85mm to me) Wengers... since when did this happen?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 05:00:10 PM
The Packlock has been around for over a decade.  I know, because I bought my first one in '97 or '98.  :D

At that time there were already a number of standard Wenger innovations like the locking screwdrivers, serrated, self sharpening scissors, backspring mechanisms on the scissors and pliers, and slip jointed plier heads all in production.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 05:09:38 PM
How do the screwdrivers lock? I could never figure it out on my Wengers.
(

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 05:13:26 PM
When pressure is applied to them, they slide into the handle a fraction of an inch and can't be folded.  As soon as the pressure is released, they slide back out and you can fold them easily.  It's a very slick system that most folks don't ever even realize is there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 05:14:59 PM
Thats clever.
(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 05:18:11 PM
I must say,  as a user, my S557 is awesome.  The locking blade and locking drivers work great.  Plus the small size is a convenient. 

I'm surprised the locking blade Wengers aren't mentioned as a favorite EDC here.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 07:21:58 PM
I have to say thou, since I carry a dedicated folder it feels redundent to have a lock on my SAK. A slip joint is quick open and close for light tasks, a lock just complicate things. Then again I only had it for two days, so still not used to it.

Offline silentio

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:48:48 AM
The Packlock has been around for over a decade.  I know, because I bought my first one in '97 or '98.  :D

At that time there were already a number of standard Wenger innovations like the locking screwdrivers, serrated, self sharpening scissors, backspring mechanisms on the scissors and pliers, and slip jointed plier heads all in production.

Def

oh wow, 10 years. My first non-keychain SAK was a 85mm Wenger and I know of those other patents, though not the locking blade. Was especially impressed by the locking screwdriver then. Maybe it's time for me to pick up another Wenger.

Offline appletree_man

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:20:24 PM
Is there a Wenger equivalent of the 91mm Vic Ranger ?
T

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:56 AM
This thing is too shiny to use, I think I'll put it back in the box and use the already scratched climber.  :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%