Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Broken skeletool...now with possible mods?

Offline daemonza

Broken skeletool...now with possible mods?
on: May 18, 2009, 08:03:57 AM
Broke my skeletool while working on my mountain bike this weekend.

Mailed Leatherman this morning, and got a reply back within 20 min saying I should post it to them and they will fix it for
me under warranty. Awesome! excellent service being one of the reasons I bought a Leatherman. Anyone they said in their email
while they are fixing it, they can do any other work on the skeletool for me as well, was wondering anyone got any ideas for possible mods
or service to the tool that I might want.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Re: Broken skeletool...now with possible mods?
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:34 AM
I don't think they will actually "mod" it for you but I know when I sent my Blast in they sharpened my blade without me asking them to.

Interesting break there, they usually (and by usually I mean the pictures I have seen) snap at the "regular pliers" point of the jaw, what were you doing?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:11:13 AM
Ouch! :o May I ask what you were doing with when it broke. I'm just curious.
"

Offline daemonza

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:34 AM
Was removing my crankset from my bike. I pushed the pliers into the middle lockring of the the left crank arm, clamp it and twisted, snap, one broken skeletool. Was a little disappointing that it broke so easily, that said, it's only a skeletool, but still, but the quick reply back from LM makes up a little for it.
Without a EDC now  :(

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:28:23 AM
Was removing my crankset from my bike. I pushed the pliers into the middle lockring of the the left crank arm, clamp it and twisted, snap, one broken skeletool. Was a little disappointing that it broke so easily, that said, it's only a skeletool, but still, but the quick reply back from LM makes up a little for it.

Never twist a multitool plier like that. Actually any plier is weak in that regard, but especially multitool since stainless steel isn't as tough as tool steel and the jaws tend to be a lot thinner.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:02:37 AM
That's unfortunate but yes Leatherman is pretty much legendary for excellent customer service in my opinion.  I've had a couple of tools sent back to them that had nothing to do with defects or quality control and they replaced both units.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:53:20 PM
Broke my skeletool while working on my mountain bike this weekend.

(Image removed from quote.)

Mailed Leatherman this morning, and got a reply back within 20 min saying I should post it to them and they will fix it for
me under warranty. Awesome! excellent service being one of the reasons I bought a Leatherman. Anyone they said in their email
while they are fixing it, they can do any other work on the skeletool for me as well, was wondering anyone got any ideas for possible mods
or service to the tool that I might want.

WOW!!  How did you pull that off?? :think:

What was your bike made out of, depleted uranium??
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 02:31:45 PM

Never twist a multitool plier like that. Actually any plier is weak in that regard, but especially multitool since stainless steel isn't as tough as tool steel and the jaws tend to be a lot thinner.

Hmm....

A twisting action is VERY common for me when using a pliers (pulling out construction staples, snapping off nails, twisting wire).   IMO, pliers design should take into account torque across the jaw. 

Offline daemonza

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:48:54 PM

Hmm....

A twisting action is VERY common for me when using a pliers (pulling out construction staples, snapping off nails, twisting wire).   IMO, pliers design should take into account torque across the jaw. 

Pretty much the same thing I am thinking. If I cannot twist, then 90% of the time using pliers will be impossible for me then.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:55:17 PM
I've used my SKeletool CX in trying to opened a fused 20 year old can of paint  So far, not even a ding in the pliers  :multi:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline silentio

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:39:53 PM

Pretty much the same thing I am thinking. If I cannot twist, then 90% of the time using pliers will be impossible for me then.

My thoughts exactly. I suppose if LM is willing to replace them, then you probably didn't use them outside of their intended purpose. Otherwise LM could just put it down to misuse and say "tough"

Offline appletree_man

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:36 PM
Buy a pair of quality Knipex pliers
T

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:49:40 PM
If i was a sarcastic person i might say something along the lines of "and i thought it was Gerber that used pot metal to make multitools" but seeing as though i'm not i won't say it ;) Leatherman should sort you out nicely though :tu:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:28 PM

Hmm....

I'm sure they do as best as they can, but look at the thickness of the jaw of say surge, the biggest leatherman makes, and compare with even a medium sized needle nose piler, it's still a lot thinner. Coupled with weaker material, there is so much you can do with it.

My thoughts exactly. I suppose if LM is willing to replace them, then you probably didn't use them outside of their intended purpose. Otherwise LM could just put it down to misuse and say "tough"

They do replace a lot of stuff that's purely user error/abuse.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18:33 PM

I'm sure they do as best as they can, but look at the thickness of the jaw of say surge, the biggest leatherman makes, and compare with even a medium sized needle nose piler, it's still a lot thinner. Coupled with weaker material, there is so much you can do with it.

Then they should put on some disclaimer, like they do with toy carabiners not meant for climbing.  :pok:

Quote from: jzmtl

They do replace a lot of stuff that's purely user error/abuse.

Again, twisting something with a pliers isn't user error/abuse IMO.  Using it as a drift would be.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 11:45:24 PM
I'm not saying it is, just that you can't use what Leatherman warranty as guide for what's intended purpose for the tool.

Like I said earlier, leatherman's (and other brands') plier strength is limited by both material and size, you can't realistically expect it to be as strong as a regular pliers and perform as such. As a user it's necessary to keep that in mind unless you enjoy send it back all the time.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:42:23 AM
I am of the opinion that I should use a multi tool with common sense eg: lighter tasks unless no other choice is available.  A reminder even the big 'un's can be pressed too hard even though in this case I am pretty sure it was a bad cast.  Pst or Surge if the job is cutting heavy stuff I will go to the tool box for my main cutters and not risk breaking an expensive tool.
Big Daddy.jpg
* Big Daddy.jpg (Filesize: 56.25 KB)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:45:42 AM by Sean »

Offline rockyman500

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 03:31:55 AM
I am of the opinion that I should use a multi tool with common sense eg: lighter tasks unless no other choice is available.  A reminder even the big 'un's can be pressed too hard even though in this case I am pretty sure it was a bad cast.  Pst or Surge if the job is cutting heavy stuff I will go to the tool box for my main cutters and not risk breaking an expensive tool.

What were you doing? Torquing antenna wire or something? I have cut huge nails with my SURGE and bent them also, not a nanosecond of trouble.

I think your's was a dud. And I like the title of the pic  :D
[

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 03:36:45 AM
twisting antenna wire yes. :)

Offline rockyman500

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 03:41:10 AM
twisting antenna wire yes. :)

have you tried it again with a MT?
[

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 03:45:01 AM
how's that saying go...

once bitten...   ;)

actually I am not scared to use a multi but am cautious and realize the limitations of one.

Offline rockyman500

Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 03:45:49 AM
how's that saying go...

once bitten...   ;)

actually I am not scared to use a multi but am cautious and realize the limitations of one.

have you tried it with a SOG?
[

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 03:53:35 AM
I have the powerlocks but have not tried the same wire/twist.

Offline rockyman500

Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 04:11:35 AM
I have the powerlocks but have not tried the same wire/twist.

get a swissgrip or tool clip
[

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 04:15:34 AM
Or a layered plier Schrade.
(

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 07:17:10 AM
Never thought I see the day a broken SURGE! :ahhh
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 08:47:42 AM
sorry that happened to you :-[

and like you said the warranty service Leatherman has is great! I also take into account that kind of service and
response when buying tools. any tool can break, with or without abuse, nature of the beast but when a company
stands behind their products you gotta  :salute: them.

Offline silentio

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:35 AM
I'm not saying it is, just that you can't use what Leatherman warranty as guide for what's intended purpose for the tool.

Like I said earlier, leatherman's (and other brands') plier strength is limited by both material and size, you can't realistically expect it to be as strong as a regular pliers and perform as such. As a user it's necessary to keep that in mind unless you enjoy send it back all the time.

Thinking about it, I have to agree with you, even though I first posted otherwise. I'm more used to manufacturers being anal about guidelines and copping out of warranties, it happens a lot in my part of the world--customer satisfaction is very poorly regarded. Jaded, perhaps.

ca Offline angusW

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:28 AM
Or a layered plier Schrade.

I broke my Schrade cutting 6 gauge solid wire.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%