Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The exercise thread

Offline Abstraction

The exercise thread
on: May 18, 2009, 06:10:54 PM
I used to be an incredibly healthy person with regards to exercise and well being; however the last few years have seen that slip massively.  A couple of weeks ago I made a concious effort to change that and it's going nicely, but i was wondering how much emphasis everyone on here puts into keeping fit. 

We've had topics which have drifted off into self defence before and given the moto of a lot of posters seems to be 'be prepared,' and there are a lot of popular hobbies here which revolve around physical activity, I expect we've got a good spread of fitness freaks :D

Until 3 years ago I was very much a Judo fanatic, competing, teaching and helping out with demonstrations, and my training revolved around that, lots of sprint training, lots of powerlifting style exercises to develop explosive power and lots and lots of swimming (which I love).  Unfortunately work, location and other factors mean i haven't done Judo for a while now, but i kept the exercise up for another year after that when i messed up my shoulder which put paid to all that and I never got back into it.

I've since learnt that in two years you can get very unfit if you're only 5'09" and still eating ~4000 calories a day and last month (while at a beer festival  ;)) i realised just how ridiculously unhealthy i'd become and decided to change that.   So i'm back eating proper food rather than whatever I can get my hands on, with tons of fresh fruit and veg, clean grilled meats with healthy home made spices and sauces rather than takeaways and ready meals loaded with salt, and more importantly i've started running, swimming and lifting weights again  :)

So what do you guys do to keep fit and make sure that you're in good condition when you need it? Anyone else here enjoy weightlifting?

Flash

Re: The exercise thread
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:16:37 PM
I recently lost about 1 1/2 stone by cutting the crap.....running every 3 days....lifting heavy stuff and I stopped eating after 8PM.

The weight has stopped coming off but I am fitter and happier.....reckon I am at my "normal" weight now.

Best of luck, and you will find the folks here VERY supportive.

Flash

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:20:57 PM
..... but i was wondering how much emphasis everyone on here puts into keeping fit. 

None, whatsoever. :)
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:29 PM
..... but i was wondering how much emphasis everyone on here puts into keeping fit. 

None, whatsoever. :)

Sort of ditto, i don't place any emphasis on keeping fit i just sort of end up doing it. I cycle between 5 and 15miles a day most days (due to work) I work with kids so they take a lot of energy to look after. I don't eat particularly healthily (you know about my Haribo addiction :D ) And i only do "exercise" if i enjoy it! i.e. cycling (for fun) walking, running :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:04 PM
Since my other hobbies include climbing and mountaineering, I do a fair bit.  I run between 15 and 25 miles/week, lift twice a week,  and climb twice a week.  When I have a specific goal, my workouts intensify and focus on the goal (more mileage less climbing for marathons, more hiking with heavy loads for mountaineering and brutally long workouts with calf lifts, and "rollies" for ice climbing trips).

I could eat better, but what's the fun in that?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50:28 PM
I go to the gym five days a week in the morning...I do power lifts like dead lifts, power cleans, squats, and benching which are excellent lifts. I have also been taking Kajukenbo two nights a week which is amazing. I did Judo too, but I like Kajukenbo a lot more. By the way, I'm a cop and my job requires you to be fit!  :D
B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:04:06 PM
I go to the gym five days a week in the morning...I do power lifts like dead lifts, power cleans, squats, and benching which are excellent lifts. I have also been taking Kajukenbo two nights a week which is amazing. I did Judo too, but I like Kajukenbo a lot more. By the way, I'm a cop and* my job requires you to be fit!  :D

Time to play...

Fill in the blank!

Today's fill in the blank is: "By the way, I'm a cop and_________"

First answer today is submitted by MT.O.  "By the way, I'm a cop and somebody has stolen my camera!"

:pok: :police:

:D  :o  :ahhh

Flash

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:14:37 PM
I'm a Cop and I am because no one else would have me  :think:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:18:09 PM

[John McClane] ..and that's what makes you that guy..[/John McClane]

Flash

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:19:13 PM

[John McClane] ..and that's what makes you that guy..[/John McClane]

yes well....ask any of the UK meetup gang......the similarity is remarkable.

I reckon its my rugged good looks (that or the shaved/bald head  :twak:)

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:55:21 AM
I have just joined a gym and are about to start working out, a combination of weights and swiming. I have to get back in shape since I have gained 30 kg in a couple of years and I'm planing on going back to the army.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 02:12:50 AM
40 hour a week job, kids, honey do list, and if I start to feel like I haven't done enough yet then I walk to store's or just walk for a break.  :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 02:32:03 AM
I'm struggling with this one at the moment as I have health cr*p which prevents me from getting sweaty as much as I'd like. I used to cycle quite a lot and do lots of physical work like digging and building stuff, but now it's at a minimum and I certainly need to shift a few pounds. I walk most days with my dogs and do whatever else I can on good days. I think swimming is the way forward as it takes the strain off the joints... don't like it much though :(

The first and hardest step is always getting motivated I think.. small steps I guess.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:01:09 AM
I'm struggling with this one at the moment as I have health cr*p which prevents me from getting sweaty as much as I'd like. I used to cycle quite a lot and do lots of physical work like digging and building stuff, but now it's at a minimum and I certainly need to shift a few pounds. I walk most days with my dogs and do whatever else I can on good days. I think swimming is the way forward as it takes the strain off the joints... don't like it much though :(

The first and hardest step is always getting motivated I think.. small steps I guess.

My wife is a swimmer.  Me?  I don't like swimming.  I wish I did, I would like to try a triathalon, but I have ZERO motivation to train for the swim. 

Get fired up!  If I had joint problems, I would definitely be more motivated to get in the water.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 03:43:53 AM
I generally cycle 10-20 miles a day,and walk 2.For strength training,though,I really need to step that up.I'm not very big on the gyms,fitness centers whatever they want to call them,where all the guys seem like they stand around posing and preening.
I

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 03:48:47 AM
So what do you guys do to keep fit and make sure that you're in good condition when you need it? Anyone else here enjoy weightlifting?

Those that own the Leatherman Surge might not need to worry.  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 07:16:44 AM
I still cycle a fair ole bit, and I worked hard at work + I have a 6 year old boy :D :D

I use to do a fair bit more, but my foot problems really prevent me from doing to much now :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 12:45:39 AM
Ok I've just been for a run :o I know!! 2.5miles in 17m 30s is this good or bad? I felt pretty comfortable for the 2miles but the last half was a bit of a push.....but that could just be because it's my 3rd run in as many months! :) Should I aim to go quicker or to do the same time but be comfortable all the way round? Advice would be appreciated from you knowledgeable people please :)

Offline Abstraction

Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 01:08:50 AM
Ok I've just been for a run :o I know!! 2.5miles in 17m 30s is this good or bad? I felt pretty comfortable for the 2miles but the last half was a bit of a push.....but that could just be because it's my 3rd run in as many months! :) Should I aim to go quicker or to do the same time but be comfortable all the way round? Advice would be appreciated from you knowledgeable people please :)

That's a very respectable time if you've not been running lately mate, but as for what to do next tt depends what your goals are.  If you want to run further (trainign for a 10k/marathon etc) then don't worry about upping the speed, stick to what you can do comfortably (you should be able to speak while running without being out of breath) but add 10% onto your distance every week, in small increments if it's possible. When you've hit the distance you want then gradually up the pace. If you want to be faster then just try and cut down the time by x amount each week.

Or if you don't care but just want to get better at running then alternate each week, running further, then longer, then further etc.  The important thing is progress and consistency, not the amount of progress, if you're adding a small amount a week then you'll had made huge progress in 6 months, the same as any exercise.  If you are just running to lose weight and can run that comfortably (no knee pain etc) but have limited time then you might want to try some sprint training.  Try lightly jogging for 60 seconds, then sprinting at 90% your full speed for 1 minute, then back to light jogging, alternate between the two for as long as you can handle it.  That burns fat off like nothing else, though it's also absolutely shattering.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 01:16:15 AM

That's a very respectable time if you've not been running lately mate, but as for what to do next tt depends what your goals are.  If you want to run further (trainign for a 10k/marathon etc) then don't worry about upping the speed, stick to what you can do comfortably (you should be able to speak while running without being out of breath) but add 10% onto your distance every week, in small increments if it's possible. When you've hit the distance you want then gradually up the pace. If you want to be faster then just try and cut down the time by x amount each week.

Or if you don't care but just want to get better at running then alternate each week, running further, then longer, then further etc.  The important thing is progress and consistency, not the amount of progress, if you're adding a small amount a week then you'll had made huge progress in 6 months, the same as any exercise.  If you are just running to lose weight and can run that comfortably (no knee pain etc) but have limited time then you might want to try some sprint training.  Try lightly jogging for 60 seconds, then sprinting at 90% your full speed for 1 minute, then back to light jogging, alternate between the two for as long as you can handle it.  That burns fat off like nothing else, though it's also absolutely shattering.

Thanks for that :) Very helpful! It's not to lose weight, it's more of a general fitness thing. I'm not unfit but I'm not at the level of fitness I was at after my gap year :-\ I think 10k is a reasonable goal for me, I used to be able to run 5miles at not far off that pace. Put me on a bike and I can go for hours but my running ability has dropped a bit.

Offline Abstraction

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 01:20:17 AM
I've not got back into my cardio yet unfortunately, i've made some good progress on the weights but i've been away from the house a lot lately so haven't managed to fit in running or swimming, if i did it would be at the expense of the weights and i just enjoy those more so it's not happened.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 02:57:48 AM
2.5 miles at 20 minutes is an 8 minute mile.  17.5 minutes would be around a 7 minute mile.   That's a very good pace.   :salute:

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:24:55 AM
40 hour a week job, kids, honey do list, and if I start to feel like I haven't done enough yet then I walk to store's or just walk for a break.  :)

all what he said only i try and make the time at night to hit up the gym... i need too get back into shape not just for me, well hell mainly for me but for my family.  i wanna watch my kids grow up and what not...

not to mention that since i got out of the air force i've gained WAY too much
'

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 12:18:52 PM
Ryan, I couldn't even walk that!  :o  Sounds good to me.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 12:24:54 PM

Yeah it's not bad :) THe funny thing is though, my housemate has been running 3-5k 3 times a week for the past few months and has been doing 8m 30s a mile, so for me to go and do 7m miles with no training really pissed her off :D oops :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 05:09:46 PM
By the way, I'm a cop and my job requires you to be fit!
If that's the case why do I see fat cops all the time?

As far as exercise, I used to lift weights and preferred physical jobs but I'm disabled now. I still try to do a little but for the most part my only exercise is taking care of my 4 year old.   
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 05:31:50 PM

Yeah it's not bad :) THe funny thing is though, my housemate has been running 3-5k 3 times a week for the past few months and has been doing 8m 30s a mile, so for me to go and do 7m miles with no training really pissed her off :D oops :D

That rather sounds like she hasn't been pushing herself.  It's very easy to fall into a routine that feels OK but isn't actually that challenging.  As per advice given earlier in this thread she really needs to up her pace or her distance, depending on what she wants.  Or she can be happy with her fitness level and stick to what she is doing.

Unfortunately my days of running any real distances are somewhat behind me as I have a pair of knees that really object in the strongest possible manner.  ::) 

Good luck with the exercise.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 06:21:50 PM

That rather sounds like she hasn't been pushing herself.  It's very easy to fall into a routine that feels OK but isn't actually that challenging.  As per advice given earlier in this thread she really needs to up her pace or her distance, depending on what she wants.  Or she can be happy with her fitness level and stick to what she is doing.

Unfortunately my days of running any real distances are somewhat behind me as I have a pair of knees that really object in the strongest possible manner.  ::) 

Good luck with the exercise.  :tu:

Oh her time has been dropping was 10m 30s at the start of it :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 06:24:38 PM
Ah, I see.  In that case tell her she is doing fine.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 06:44:46 PM
I swam in school for 7 years. After high school i ditched swimming as i was burnt out on it. (sadistic coaches)

Enter cycling- I do love riding a bike. Wish i could ride more but i'm no longer in the country side. I'm smack dab in the middle of the 4th largest city in the US. Makes for some scary riding. Killer rednecks in massive 4x4's, gangsta's, mexican mafia, kkk, and people on cell phones can ruin your day on a bike.

Work and walking the beagles is about it these days.
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD