Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The exercise thread

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: The exercise thread
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 06:45:56 PM
my geek job doesn't require much in the way of exercise, with the exception of when my brother-in-law panic calls me at 8am with the server down...

That explains the recent bike purchase as I'd like to tone up a bit...

for the most part I walk alot around town, or use public transit...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 11:40:22 PM
When I retired in 1995 I was 300 pounds - I lost 40 pound over 4 years

18 months ago I became a part time vegetarian - eating meat 3 times a month  ( 10th, 20th, 30th) - causing me to drop 35 more pounds

Now at 225 , last Saturday I started riding my  exercise bike up to an hours a day - 7 days a week

I now have meat once a week, and during the summer salads and fruit smoothies the rest of the time

My goal is 199 pounds by the end of October - at my next physical

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline JohnD

Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 03:49:33 PM
Well i do powerlifting,cycling,boxing and rugby does that count? :D
"

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 10:49:03 PM
When I retired in 1995 I was 300 pounds - I lost 40 pound over 4 years

18 months ago I became a part time vegetarian - eating meat 3 times a month  ( 10th, 20th, 30th) - causing me to drop 35 more pounds

Now at 225 , last Saturday I started riding my  exercise bike up to an hours a day - 7 days a week

I now have meat once a week, and during the summer salads and fruit smoothies the rest of the time

My goal is 199 pounds by the end of October - at my next physical

That is fantastic and a very, very realistic goal!  Congrats and let us know. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 10:55:23 PM
Last year I started cycling in ernest.  I started out 2 or 3 days a week 8 to 10 miles.  That quickly built and now I do 4  times a week 20 to 30 miles.  I also ride everywhere I can and when the weather permits.  My job is pretty physical and I'm constantly running around.  I don't have the time nor the patience for the gym so I'm starting the 100 push ups program as soon as my dr clears my shoulder (patient ripped my rotator cuff last year).  I'm also thinking of starting running again since I've managed to drop so much weight and my poor, abused, twice operated on knee might just like me better now.  I'm at 168 lbs right now (I can't believe I just admited that) and I want to be 150 by November.  The problem is that I lost most of the readily available fat that I could lose and now I'm trying to add muscle while losing that last little bit of flab...it's a tough battle but I'm determined.  :)  I'm also hoping that next year I can start doing either some long distance road rides or mountain bike rides.  We'll see about that though.  :)
This is a great thread and very inspiring. 
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 10:57:26 PM
Sound's like your working to a great plan :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 11:18:04 PM
If it's not too hot/sunny tomorrow I plan to have a ride...

If today is any indication, I should be fine, plus I wanna test that bikegps software out...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #37 on: July 19, 2009, 12:00:42 AM
Well after having a massive workout last night (read: helping out a gig, humping staging, pews and pa gear around) I didn't feel up for a long run so went out for a short 1mile one instead. And despite getting a stitch 1/2 way (gone by 3/4) managed to run it in 6mins, me thinks that's pretty good. I really need to settle into a routine but I'm just not that good at being so regimented ::)

To try and help my housemate get fitter we've decided that we should be able to pass the "British Army Basic Training Fitness Requirements" by christmas time. A fairly easy target but it gives her something to aim for and it is a pretty good level of fitness to aim for :) Obviously still working on the endurance aspect of things so I'm still aiming to be able to run 6miles in a fairly respectable time :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 01:42:29 AM
Well, for the past 6 years or so, my only form of exercise was wrestling a 100-200 pound alligator 1-3 times a day.  Pulling one of those bad boys up and over a four foot wall, and then having to control it for about 20 minutes works just about EVERY muscle in your body.  I didn't look like a body builder, but I was healthy and strong.  Now, that I no longer do that, I have been a slacker.  Laying around the house, eating, and working on line.  However, I have just started an old routine I used to do when I was practicing martial arts.  I have started my old body weight calisthenics routine, and will be seeing results in a few weeks.  These work quick.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 08:32:49 AM
Got tired just by reading this thread :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #40 on: July 19, 2009, 09:54:40 AM
For a little over a month now I have been working out in the gym and lifting weights. Since I have almost never worked out in my life I have gotten results very quick and instead of loosing weight I have gained almost 22 pounds. When it comes to cardio workout then I am a slacker, I have free admittance too a swimming pool in my health club membership so I figure I will start swimming before I start running, it’s so darn hot outside and I hate running in the heat and you will NEVER get me to run on a treadmill in the gym.

My goal for exercising. Officer school and a trip to Afghanistan (not sure about that one, it all depends on what come first)
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: July 19, 2009, 10:03:32 AM
Why not the treadmill Medic?  I'll be the first to say that they don't give the same workout as road running but the one big advantage for me was that they were a lot more gentle on my knees.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:34 AM
Why not the treadmill Medic?  I'll be the first to say that they don't give the same workout as road running but the one big advantage for me was that they were a lot more gentle on my knees.

I have a dislike of treadmills (and gyms in general) why spend £1000's of pounds a year to do something which you can do for free in the real world?! I don't get it ::) :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: July 19, 2009, 10:12:52 AM

I have a dislike of treadmills (and gyms in general) why spend £1000's of pounds a year to do something which you can do for free in the real world?! I don't get it ::) :)

A yes, I agree to an extent (although gyms work really well for some folks) but as I used to work in a gym so the kit was free.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 10:16:40 AM

A yes, I agree to an extent (although gyms work really well for some folks) but as I used to work in a gym so the kit was free.  :D
Me too, as my school's got one :D

Still don't use it though, as between work, cycling everywhere and looking after a 6 year old boy who's more like trying to wrestle caged lightning everyday, I've just not got the energy left :-\

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #45 on: July 19, 2009, 10:28:35 AM
Why not the treadmill Medic?  I'll be the first to say that they don't give the same workout as road running but the one big advantage for me was that they were a lot more gentle on my knees.

Because I hate running on them, you just run and work your a** of and you are still at the same spot. I also feel that I have more control over my pace when I’m running out in the free and the air is much better.

You can get in shape without going to the gym and lifting weights, it’s amazing what you can achieve using only your bodyweight. If you want to get in shape without going to the gym then this book is a nice read http://www.amazon.co.uk/United-States-Marine-Corps-Workout/dp/1578261589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247992033&sr=8-1

But in my case then I have to work out with weights. The first few weeks of officer school is a PITA if you are not prepared.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline JohnD

Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 01:13:00 PM
I've started running 3 miles a day biking 5-9 miles a day and going to the local gym most days. I also on a Monday night do MMA which is great for Stamina. I also do power lifting like LM123.
"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #47 on: July 31, 2009, 01:38:28 PM
I've started running 3 miles a day biking 5-9 miles a day and going to the local gym most days. I also on a Monday night do MMA which is great for Stamina. I also do power lifting like LM123.

So when is it that you rest and actually enjoy life?  :P
I'm back!!

Offline JohnD

Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 12:20:38 PM
Vary Rarely.  :D I bike to work then bike back so thats the cycling done. I go for run either in the morning or evening depending what shift i'm on.And i fit the gym time in wherever possible  ;) :D Oh yeah When i do MMA That's on a Thursday and a Monday so. Then i work part-time on a Friday and Saturday night. I don't really get that much free time but i enjoy all that i do.
"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: August 01, 2009, 01:09:30 PM
Vary Rarely.  :D I bike to work then bike back so thats the cycling done. I go for run either in the morning or evening depending what shift i'm on.And i fit the gym time in wherever possible  ;) :D Oh yeah When i do MMA That's on a Thursday and a Monday so. Then i work part-time on a Friday and Saturday night. I don't really get that much free time but i enjoy all that i do.

Yeah that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #50 on: August 01, 2009, 01:10:20 PM
Good man :salute:

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 27, 2009, 12:19:47 AM
Been doing a bit of running recently, have got it down to 2.5miles in roughly 16 minutes. Quite happy with it, think i could get it a bit quicker but it's not a huge priority :)

Reply #52 on: September 27, 2009, 09:19:30 AM
Been doing a bit of running recently, have got it down to 2.5miles in roughly 16 minutes. Quite happy with it, think i could get it a bit quicker but it's not a huge priority :)
I never was much of a runner, but that sound's quite an impressive time mate :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: September 27, 2009, 10:17:33 AM
See what's the point?  I could probably drive that in 4.  :P
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 27, 2009, 10:34:42 AM
See what's the point?  I could probably drive that in 4.  :P

Round York at rush hour? :P Not really much point to a multitool.....i've got a screwdriver, saw, pliers, knives..... :D

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:28 PM

Very impressive :salute:
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 10:53:56 PM

Very impressive :salute:
Well done old chap

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 28, 2009, 12:04:45 AM

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: September 28, 2009, 12:05:07 AM
Get a cab what you playing at?  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: September 28, 2009, 12:10:02 AM
Get a cab what you playing at?  :D

Being a traditional Yorkshire man and refusing to pay for anything..... :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%