Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One Handed Rescue Blades?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
One Handed Rescue Blades?
on: May 18, 2009, 11:19:59 PM
With all the recent talk about the SwissTool RS it got me to thinking- would it really be a good rescue blade, or do you think that OH opening is mandatory for rescue blades?  It seems to me that speed and ease of deployment can be somewhat important when the brown stuff hits the fan, especially where I live, when a rescue worker is likely wearing gloves at least six months out of each year.

I think the RS blade is a great shape for cutting seat belts and other straps, but if you are in a hurry, and wearing gloves, it might as well not be there.  Unfortunately the shape of the handles makes it impossible for the blade to open with a "catch" like the rescue blade on the Rescue Tool.

As much as I like the RS, I think I may have to reconsider it as a rescue blade.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: One Handed Rescue Blades?
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:41:23 PM
For a rescue tool, ready to use  a straight blade is the way to go - Boker Cop Tool, CRKT M.A.K. 1, etc.

NOT for EDC - keep it in the vehicle for emergency use
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:29:19 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:53:30 PM
I agree, at least for a dedicated rescue worker, but I am thinking for the average person who might want to be prepared.  The MAK-1 is a cool tool, and I can see it being handy on a first responder's belt, but it's not the kind of thing I'd usually carry for EDC use.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:59:59 PM
Would a Surge be a better rescue tool than a RS due to its outside opening blades? I don't think that with gloves on it would be kosher ...but just throwing it out there.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:01:35 AM
The Benchmade Rescue Hooks are also excellent.. In a tense live or death situation you may not have the dexterity or motor skills to properly open up a blade via nail nick!
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:19:59 AM
Would a Surge be a better rescue tool than a RS due to its outside opening blades? I don't think that with gloves on it would be kosher ...but just throwing it out there.

In theory, yeah, I would probably prefer the Surge to the RS if I came across some kind of car accident.  Of course, I think I'd rather the Vic Rescue Tool over the Surge, and the CRKT MAK-1 and/or Ontario SPAX over the Vic Rescue Tool!

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:23:57 AM
I agree, at least for a dedicated rescue worker, but I am thinking for the average person who might want to be prepared.  The MAK-1 is a cool tool, and I can see it being handy on a first responder's belt, but it's not the kind of thing I'd usually carry for EDC use.

Def

On the other hand, unless it's what I do for a living I won't carry a OH rescue blade either, since they tend to be a certain form (blunt non sharpened tip), and useless for a lot of tasks, it's just too specialized for EDC.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:26:13 AM
Sure is one hell of a market though for "rescue" tools.  Kinda like throwing "tactical" on a knife
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:05:49 AM
The Benchmade Rescue Hooks are also excellent.. In a tense live or death situation you may not have the dexterity or motor skills to properly open up a blade via nail nick!

+1 on rescue hook!
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:03:34 AM

Not if your left handed .

Grant the gloves bit is an important point and thats where the Swisstool falls short .But otherwise as for deployment we are only talking about 3 or for seconds more to deploy two handed . Now I don't know about you guys but theres not been many situations where thats ment the difference between life and death for me , especially as I'm left handed and often have to swap hands after deploying the blade .The exception is of course the Vic Rescue tool which really shines here .
   I'm still in favour of Multitools as rescue tools because its not always just a blade thats needed to release a casualty .

My above thoughts are all for people who are not in the emergency services where other equipment and options for carry should be considered .At work I'm issued a blunt tipped fixed blade knife but its of poor quality but I have to carry it . I much prefer to use my multitool for all the day to day things .

Dunc

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:57:53 PM
Don't sell me out yet Grant, you got some Hinderers coming that would fit the bill nicely.  :-[ You will get them when I get some money to send out another package, hold tight boss. They are maybe not EDC due to their weight but nice in a rescue situation. Call me crazy but what I would use if I had the money is to get one of the Spyderco Salts with the serrated sheepsfoot. You get the light weight of the FRN and the safety of the blade shape, plus the H1 steel is about as easy to sharpen as 420HC.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 01:16:02 PM
I have a Byrd Cara Cara Rescue and a Vic Rescue Tool. While the Cara Cara is nothing more but a nice lightweight seatbelt cutter (or serrated sheepfoot EDC), the Rescue Tool is imho the best overall rescue tool on the market. Have the OH version, and really like that feature, two handed opening on a rescue blade just does not feel right.

Woz
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 03:08:36 PM
Dunc- you are absolutely right that it doesn't take a huge amount of time to get the blade out, but I was thinking more along the lines of your other hand being busy holding something.  OH just makes things a little easier and in a serious situation anything that smooths out the bumps is preferable.

Dave- no worries, I'm trying to avoid getting anything on it's way at the moment since I'm packing right now...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%