Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

leatherman lanyard ring and pocket slip / sideclip

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
leatherman lanyard ring and pocket slip / sideclip
on: April 12, 2007, 01:26:40 PM
Having recieved the TTI with both a lanyard ring and sideclip I began wondering which I should attach to the tool, and if I should attach either or not. I keep the tool in its sheath most of the time, even when in my pocket.

I liked the idea of the lanyard ring, and tieing some sort of thin rope to the tool and to either my trousers or whatever bag Im carrying the tool in, however I dont really like the ring LM provide. For one, it seems like it can easily detach from the tool when using one of the inside tools, since it is heald in place by the lock for the inside tools. I have the feeling that when unlocking a tool, or taking it out (which causes the lock to release itself until the tool is fully out and then it snaps in to place) the lanyard ring could slip out, especially if under any kind of tension. Maybe thats just a thought thats incorrect, I havent tested it in anyway. Another aspect I dont like is how big it is, if attached, I can't carry the TTI in its sheath, and it doesnt look too good because of its big size IMO.

Regarding the sideclip, I would never carry the TTI in a pocket naked, so I would never use it for its intended function, but it does look damn cool. Because of the tension it provides against the handle of the TTI, it is much more securely fixed to the tool and takes quite a pull to take off the tool when the lock is released. So I feel it is much more secure than the lanyard ring. Furthermore, while attached to the TTI, it can still fit comfortably into the sheath, even with the bit kit inside. I am also thinking that if I want to tie a lanyard to the tool, I could thread it under the sideclip, and maybe through the slot in the sideclip.

Just wondering, what have other users attached to their LMs and what do they think of these two accessories for their tools? Are there any really good third party accessories which can use the slot LM left for the sideclip and lanyard ring, maybe for some other purpose?

Offline ChrisB

• New User
Re: leatherman lanyard ring and pocket slip / sideclip
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:50:25 PM
Don't forget that at the nail-nick end of the saw blade, there is also a built in lanyard ring that slides out (away from the end of the tool - you need to use a key or similar to slide it out)

ChrisB

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:59:05 PM
well, you live and learn, I didnt know about that at all! Thank you for the information.

Having pulled this fixed lanyard ring out it is much better IMO then the removable one, much better shaped and discrete, and no issues with it detaching from the tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 02:49:32 AM
......Are there any really good third party accessories which can use the slot LM left for the sideclip and lanyard ring, maybe for some other purpose?

Hehe, I can think of one.....
index.jpg
* index.jpg (Filesize: 76.62 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:15:17 PM
thats pretty neat, thats the kind of thing I had in mind.

Just wondering, how come those saws have such a good fit? Are they designed specifically for the tool? Or is that kind of attachment ending generic?

Its a pretty thin slot that the lanyard ring or side clip fit into, I wonder what other kind of things could slot in there.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 12:57:18 PM
Bob modified reciprocating saw blades to fit into a Charge and last we heard, the powers that be at Leatherman were fascinated by them. 

Bob used his fantastic machining skills to cut the blades to be a perfect fit for the Charge, and as far as I know, those are the only aftermarket attachments.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:20:43 PM
I'll admit, this is another one of those ideas that someone else thought of, then I just came along later and did the easy part. The saw blades work good, they lock up nice and tight in the Leatherman clip receptacle.

So give me some more ideas. What else could be modified to fit in there? 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:26:08 AM
well the most obvious other tool I would think is a file.

But would a small knife bade (plain or serrated) also work?

What would be most interesting is if something could be thought of which isnt on the tool itself, so adding an extra function to the LM.

Offline knife-man

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 02:01:16 AM
Great Work. may have to give it a try myself sometime.

well the most obvious other tool I would think is a file.

But would a small knife bade (plain or serrated) also work?

What would be most interesting is if something could be thought of which isnt on the tool itself, so adding an extra function to the LM.

What did you have in mind ? of all the massive number of tool's availible I cant thing of many that "couldnt" be fitted .. I can think of a few that shouldnt  ::) . but not many that couldnt.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD