Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Booth - Blade Show 2009

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
CRKT Booth - Blade Show 2009
on: May 31, 2009, 12:42:29 AM
CRKT showed their Flux model for the first time at this years Blade Show. I was shocked and somewhat disappointed at the same time, I honestly expected something with pliers and then I thought....that's cool. CRKT along with the folks at I.D. Works are creating tools that are unique and very different than tools that are mainstream in todays market. The Flux features a steel frame in which modules are attached to on either side with a simple unlocking system to add and remove the various tools. There is so much to say and not alot to say at the same time, the best I can do is show you the pictures and below each one I will tell you what the module is and what I think about it. It's a very interesting and very different tool, other than using the word "cool" I am at a lack of words for what to say. So here we go.....

The Flux is a pretty wide tool and very flat at the same time. It seems like it could ride very comfortably in the pocket or ride well on a belt look with one of the spring gates/carabiners at either end of the tool.

To unlock a tool once you have slid one onto the frame you simply push up on a locking tab and slide the tool off the frame. The Frame system seems very secure and works very nicely, not a whole lot of effort is needed to change out the tools. I have not ever used or seen a Coleman Prolock but the idea is the same but I feel it has been implimented better and has that typical CRKT feel to it.

The knife blade is easy to open both by itself and removed from the tool as a whole. They system is more like a set of tools by which the frame provides a stable plaform for which the various tools can be carried and used. In some cases the extra bulk of the frame made handling a tool awkward but when you remove the module it makes it much easier to use.

This is the driver/LED attachment, very similar to that on the Guppie tools and features a push button LED rather than a slide switch.

A wine/waiters tool. Not much to say about this one, other than interesting.

This is a seperate LED tool, no driver bits or anything here. The LED is one one the tools that is going to be sold seperatly from the package and has it's own dedicated carabiner. CRKT is not sure what the "package" is going to include but the option to add parts to a pre-existing tool is very cool indeed.

The last tool to see is the USB drive module. The model currently features a 2GB flash but it may be changed in the final production version. It's very interesting to see a flash drive as part of a multitool. As technology becomes more and more a part of our lives we start to see an blend between our work and our play so to speak. I would think this item would be a wierd addition but Victorinox is comming out with one that has a biometric scanner.

Grant can probably help fill in the gaps with what I know, Lindey and I talked alot about the new Flux as well as CRKT in general. CRKT is a great company and I am glad they got into the multitool field. I really look forward to getting my hands on a Flux and putting it to work. I don't how hard this tool can be pushed, it seems kind of light weight but time will only tell.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Re: CRKT Booth - Blade Show 2009
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:48:43 AM
interesting, a video would be nice but so far looks nice :tu:

heres something i just found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOaIoDn7ntE

and yet i just realized this video is kinda old news :P :oops:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:55:05 AM by cliosguy »
A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:15:07 AM
Very interesting concept! I'd expect nothing less from the fertile minds of the i.d. Works guys. 8)

So Dave, what all are we seeing here? Am I correct in that there is a single frame (the part with two carabiner gates) and then a number of interchangable modules?

From your pics I see a:
1) knife blade module
2) bit driver / bit carrier / LED module
3) wine/waiters tool module
4) LED module
5) flash drive module
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:01:34 AM
The Flux is really interesting.  I noticed the flash drive is a micro SD card reader.  I guess you remove that round part containing the micro SD card and plug it into a USB port?  It's good to use a micro SD reader because we can upgrade the flash memory ourselves whenever we want or carry more than one micro SD card to use interchangeably.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:20:01 AM
 I like what CRKT is doing.They're not getting into the Vic/Leatherman/SOG/Gerber race.Modularity is the way to go :tu:
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:33:56 AM
Looks like a Guppie on steroids... :D

I have some info on this one but apparently since it's not secret any more I can share it finally!  Still, it will have to wait until tomorrow as I have to be off to work now.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:46:36 AM
I like what CRKT is doing.They're not getting into the Vic/Leatherman/SOG/Gerber race.Modularity is the way to go :tu:

Same here - this looks like a great idea to me.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:59 AM
I. Must. Own. This. Tool!

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 01:16:36 AM
I played with the tool a little yesterday. It's a neat idea and seems to be well make. It's easier to carry than it looks. They let me try it and almost didn't get it back.  >:D I think it's a really good base but they need a module with scissors. Also, I think you can only connect two modules so no monster contraptions.  :D It definitely has possibilities.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:03:22 AM
Adjustable wrench!

It's gotta have an adjustable wrench!  Definitely the best feature on the Guppie.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 03:07:25 AM
Very interesting concept! I'd expect nothing less from the fertile minds of the i.d. Works guys. 8)

So Dave, what all are we seeing here? Am I correct in that there is a single frame (the part with two carabiner gates) and then a number of interchangable modules?

From your pics I see a:
1) knife blade module
2) bit driver / bit carrier / LED module
3) wine/waiters tool module
4) LED module
5) flash drive module

Bob,

Your correct on all your observations, the single light has it's own carabiner which I was puzzled on and Lindsey said it would be used as a stand alone light you could clip on yourself or add it to the tool, the mini carabiner thing would come off but was fixed on this current model. The Flux is set for release in Sept. and I think it could really work for CRKT. I didn't like the size of the tool off hand but since they would not let me take it home I can only speculate how well I would get use to it. being able to use two tools at the same time reminds me of the Spyderench a little bit. This is another cool tool and I look forward to handling the final product. The USB reader does come out of the arm I believe but I didn't think to mess with it enough to see how it comes off or flips around to go into a pc. I was more interested in the blade/drivers/lights attachments.

I also got to check out the folding razel series as well as the natural series, I so wanted to take them home with me. It's like they are a perfect blend of custom and production. They are executed perfectly and a terrific buy for the money, I can't say enough good about those knives. The large razel looks like it could be used exeptionally hard and it would still come back for more.  :P

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 03:20:23 AM
 :o That's an odd little contraption there I really don't know how to take it :think: If it's from CRKT though I am sure it's pretty good quality though :tu: Can't wait to see what ppl think about it :D

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 03:21:04 AM
Did you ask for prices? IIRC the gentleman told me @$45 for the Flux w/two "regular" modules (not sure which ones those were) and @$25 for sets of two modules. I think it's an excellent concept and a real interesting development in our little sector but it's a little big for what it does. I'd really like to see Victorinox take on the idea.   :P

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 03:34:22 AM
I took that picture too but forgot to upload that  :-[ As for a price, I think your right spoonrobot,l I was told a price but frankly I forget. The rest of the CRKT tools are reasonably priced so I don't see why this one would not meet the price point you mentioned.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 03:40:24 AM
Adjustable wrench!

It's gotta have an adjustable wrench!  Definitely the best feature on the Guppie.

An adjustable wrench module! Oh yah, they gotta do one of those! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 04:28:11 AM
At the risk of sounding like I'm taking credit for anything....

That small card reader is a source of amusement to me as that was part of the discussion I had with the designer of the tool, Tom Stokes.

As we were discussing this tool, which I told him looked like a Guppie on steroids, he mentioned they were considering a module that would include a USB drive, but didn't want the limitations of technology to reduce the operational life of the tool.  My response was to pull a small Sandisk card reader that I carry on my keychain out and show him, since it acts like a USB drive, but is easily upgradeable by putting in a new card.

As a thank you for helping them out of a jam, they gave me this knife:

I thought they were going to design their own small card reader, so imagine my surprise when I see these pics from Dave with exactly the same card reader I have been carrying!  I guess it was cheaper and easier to use an existing design rather than try to re-invent the wheel, especially when it comes to something like electronics, which is not their forte.  Besides, Sandisk is probably the best quality for flash memory so it makes sense to use theirs.

In case anyone doesn't believe me, I'll post a pic tomorrow of my keys, showing the exact same card reader!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 04:58:07 AM
I mean its cool but it's not the big Guppie I've been praying for.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 05:08:35 AM
I guess a knife is cheaper than royalties :D The more I think about the modular concept,the more I like it,the possibilities are near endless.I think a lot of people would like the idea of a tool that they can customize to the particular need.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 05:15:49 AM
Not only that, many of the modules will be able to be used/carried independently as well.  The little knife for example has a pocket clip, so it can be carried/used just like a regular tactical folder in addition to the other modules mounted on the Flex frame.

It's kind of like the Coleman Pro-Lock cartridge idea, but done differently, and more effectively. 

Def

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31:49 AM
this is awesome

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 07:10:12 AM
WOW! Have to get one of those! I love playing puzzle  :D

Seems to be a nice tool, good job CRKT!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 03:35:09 PM
So Def, it was your idea to use a micro SD reader?  Good call!  I agree, using a micro SD card is much better because you can upgrade the card anytime you want.

So I guess you'll be receiving royalty payments from CRKT now?  :D
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 04:47:45 PM
That Fulcrum Flame I think is my royalty payment!  :D

I'm just happy to help really...

Def

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:05 PM
I think Victorinox may be able to claim prior art on the upgradeable storage ....

.... well, kind of ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 09:16:13 PM
Nice mod Neil!

I may have to try that for my next SwissBit assassination!  :D

Def

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 12:41:51 AM
I did this one ages ago after we had the thread over on SOSAK about upgrading the memory.  Same issue as with the straight flash drive swap out, what do you do with all the extra room?  In this case there's space to store another half dozen cards behind the adapter  :ahhh  :tu:

Which brings me back on topic.  Nice though this modular concept is, I do have to wonder what the advantage is of having such a large module is to store something as tiny as a modern card reader.  They could have at least integrated something else with that module.

So what other modules would we like to see them produce?  Does the screwdriver module take stubby bits like the Get Away Driver or does it use standard ones?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:05 AM
I think they would the stubby ones, they looked like the ones that come with the Guppie. Oh and while I am thinking of it, I asked about the Get-A-Way driver that comes with the bits to take apart your ID Works tools and they said it should be out soon. They didn't not bring one with them to Blade because they forgot  ::)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 10:47:56 PM
I did this one ages ago after we had the thread over on SOSAK about upgrading the memory.  Same issue as with the straight flash drive swap out, what do you do with all the extra room?  In this case there's space to store another half dozen cards behind the adapter  :ahhh  :tu:

Which brings me back on topic.  Nice though this modular concept is, I do have to wonder what the advantage is of having such a large module is to store something as tiny as a modern card reader.  They could have at least integrated something else with that module.

So what other modules would we like to see them produce?  Does the screwdriver module take stubby bits like the Get Away Driver or does it use standard ones?
Other modules that I could think of? A rescue blade module, a choice of blade edges,and steels,an adjustable jaws wrench module,a wood saw,and a metal saw/file all would nice for starters. And for some us....... a spork module :D
I

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 11:43:22 PM

Other modules that I could think of? A rescue blade module, a choice of blade edges,and steels,an adjustable jaws wrench module,a wood saw,and a metal saw/file all would nice for starters. And for some us....... a spork module :D

Too right :D  Actually all those are good ideas.  Perhaps a module with a tape measure and spirit level as well.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 12:14:29 AM
Other modules?

1.  Universal TV remote module

2.  Radar detector module

3.  Cell phone module

4.  Satellite emergency beacon module

5.  PEZ dispenser module