Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Air Force survival knife

FredKJ · 56 · 11204

Offline FredKJ

Re: Air Force survival knife
Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 03:01:30 PM
 :mail:

It came yesterday.  It's the Ontario version.  Nice and heavy feel.  Out of the box I noticed the edge has a burr so I will sharpen it tonight.  Will only use a 600 grit diamond stone to give it a utility edge.  The top of the tip is also sharpened I suppose to work as a spear.  I did put a coat of oil on it right away and of course need to keep it oiled.  We will see what kind of edge I can put on that 1095 carbon steel. 

Offline Biru

Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 03:49:21 PM
I was very surprised by SporkBob's photos. I visited an Army Surplus store in a town nearby and the Ontarios the fellow showed to me had handles unlike the Camillus or the Ontarios in SB's photos. The leather wasn't in rings, but was solid, rough and "hairy". The blades were marked Ontario. On one of the knife sites, a fellow was complaining about the rough handle on an Ontario he had ordered. I do like the look of the Ontario Navy knife!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:13 PM
Yes it's solid and hairy.  I like the no slip grip.  The coating is zinc phosphate which is supposed to be corrosion resistant and rough to hold oil.  It's not a hard steel in the Rockwell 50-54 range so you probably don't want to keep a razor edge on it.  I'll keep a toothy edge with 600 grit. 

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 04:01:02 PM
I had a Camillus that I loved but someone liberated from my car.  :(   

The pommel makes a good hammer and the saw back sucks as far as cutting branches but it was designed to cut plexiglass.

There are holes in the guard so you can attach it to a branch and use it as a spear.

I really really like this knife even more then my Marine Recon Ka Bar.

A lot of plexiglass to cut when chrashed in the jungle? Why was that made like that?

Hey, have you seen Lost?! :D

Nope, never seen it. Still don't get it  :think: Nice knife though  :tu:

Easy. Airplane cockpit windows are plexiglass. I a plane crashed, and the cockpit won´t open as intended, then use the knife to cut yourself out of the plane. Unlikely to happen, but that´s why it is designed to cut plexiglass.

Ah ha, I thought of that but it did not seemed likely at that moment. But you say that's what is for? Hmm, I would design it as woodsaw, makes more sence to me.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 04:34:57 PM
I was very surprised by SporkBob's photos. I visited an Army Surplus store in a town nearby and the Ontarios the fellow showed to me had handles unlike the Camillus or the Ontarios in SB's photos. The leather wasn't in rings, but was solid, rough and "hairy". The blades were marked Ontario. On one of the knife sites, a fellow was complaining about the rough handle on an Ontario he had ordered. I do like the look of the Ontario Navy knife!

You are assuming that I did nothing to treat the raw leather handles? ::)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 04:37:56 PM
So how did you treat the leather handle.  Any pointers?

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 04:49:31 PM
Same process as finishing the raw edges of any cut leather...slicking.

The leather is dampened slightly and rubbed with a bone folder (or something like a piece of micarta). This compresses the loose fibers on the edges of the leather. I finish by buffing with an old piece of denim. Moisture content is important...too much and it won't work well...just barely dampened.

Then I seal it with a mixture of melted beeswax and paraffin...using a heatgun to melt it in further.

Offline Biru

Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:31 PM
If I understand correctly though, you're saying the leather was in compressed rings as on the Camillus. The Ontarios I was shown had no individual rings of leather, but resembled handles covered with leather twine. The handles on those Ontarios would probably be great around water. I've actually toyed with getting one of them as a real gutter knife for rough tasks. Unfortunately the fellow wants about $60 US for each and I could get a KaBar Warthog for that or close (I really like the looks of the Warthog!).

Regards, Kyuzo.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 07:12:27 PM
Yes, the same leather washers just left rough from sanding. I don't think it is wise to use it undressed as it comes...the leather will absorb all sorts of nasty stuff...along with dirt and grime.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 07:14:52 PM by SporkBob NoPants »

Offline Biru

Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 07:22:47 PM
Just wondering...

Have you ever tried mink oil on your handles? . I was scared witless for fear of damaging the leather, but so far it seems to have worked okay. I understand mink oil can go rancid so I don't really know. This is the only knife I own with leather handles.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 09:13:59 PM
I got cosmoline all over the handle of my knife using it to cut open weapons crates. Seems to have sealed the leather rings quite nicely. Has that familiar military smell though.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline FredKJ

Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:51 PM
OK so let's see if I can work with what I have.  Can use a small spoon for boning.  Steaming seems to be the best way to get a slight uniform dampening.  I have those small tea votive candles which are basically parifin.  So I steam and bone.  Then light the votive to get the wax in a melted state and rub on the handle with a toothbrush.  Does that sound like it will work?

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 11:35:10 PM
Forget the steam...run it under the tap quickly or use a damp sponge. Give it a little time to penetrate and soften the fibers...the color will return to just about normal and it will feel cool to the touch. It will not work well if the leather is too wet...set it aside for a while if it is.

I've never used or seen anything metallic used as a boning tool...usually it's antler, bone, plastic or hard wood. I think it needs to be able to create a little friction to be effective. Lacking one...grab an old piece of denim or canvas. That's what I slicked the edge in the photo with. It's a little harder to do because you have to rub hard, but it is effective.

Brushing on melted wax will not work unless you have a heat gun to melt it in. It just won't stay liquid enough to be absorbed by the leather otherwise.

Sno-seal is beeswax based and has a lower melting point...you can use a hairdryer. It's not a hard finish like hot-wax and needs to be re-applied occasionally but it will protect the leather and keep the washers from drying out and shrinking. It's also a good dressing for the sheath.
slicking01.jpg
* slicking01.jpg (Filesize: 25.91 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:58 PM
Just wondering...

Have you ever tried mink oil on your handles? . I was scared witless for fear of damaging the leather, but so far it seems to have worked okay. I understand mink oil can go rancid so I don't really know. This is the only knife I own with leather handles.

I've never used Mink oil...is it anything like Sno-seal?

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 11:43:17 PM
Found a photo of my last Ontario before it was Sporkified. My first Ontario had a much rougher handle.
afsk013.jpg
* afsk013.jpg (Filesize: 88 KB)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 11:52:46 PM
Ironically, The last USAF pilot to be shot down"behind enemy lines" was Captain Scott O'Grady during Bosnia.  And in his book"RETURN WITH HONOR", he had a very low opinion of the issued USAF survival knife.  During the time he was on the ground, in Bosnia, he actually used his SAK as his primary cutting/survival tool. :salute:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #46 on: June 06, 2009, 02:43:05 AM
He probably didn't know how to sharpen it...  ::)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:45:16 AM by SporkBob NoPants »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:24 AM
He probably didn't know how to sharpen it...  ::)
Sadly that's probably true ::)

Fair play to him for carrying a Sak as back up though :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #48 on: June 06, 2009, 07:04:56 PM
I've been tinkering with the idea of putting a Doan MFS in the stone pocket. I can fit it in this sheath and close the flap, but it's pretty tight.

I have a fresh, untreated sheath that I can wet mold and stretch the pocket a little. The other option is to trim some of the magnesium off the block. A small diamond plate like the Eze-lap fishhook sharpener would replace the issue stone.

I would coat the MFS in varnish or fingernail polish...I've experienced corrosion on them when stored in the pocket of other leather sheaths.
jpsk02.jpg
* jpsk02.jpg (Filesize: 45.92 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #49 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:06 PM
I've been tinkering with the idea of putting a Doan MFS in the stone pocket. I can fit it in this sheath and close the flap, but it's pretty tight.

I have a fresh, untreated sheath that I can wet mold and stretch the pocket a little. The other option is to trim some of the magnesium off the block. A small diamond plate like the Eze-lap fishhook sharpener would replace the issue stone.

I would coat the MFS in varnish or fingernail polish...I've experienced corrosion on them when stored in the pocket of other leather sheaths.
Now that would make a great wood's package 8)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #50 on: June 06, 2009, 11:40:48 PM
Did someone mention Air force Survival Knives  :D

Dunc

Offline Biru

Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 12:55:22 AM
That last knife you posted SporkBob looked more like the Ontario I saw. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the USAF knife reviews I've found online tend to be rather hard on the knife. Generally they fault the saw-back which apparently fools potential users into thinking they can fell a California Redwood tree and the thin profiling of the blade (I can see their point a bit here, pardon the pun). Still, I love the styling of the knife, and it balances much better than my Buck General. The blade is much easier to sharpen as well.

I think the mink oil idea came from a rep for Kabar, but I can't remember as it's been a while. It treats the handle and sheath very well, and leaves a beautiful patina (I tried it on my hiking boots and like it), but i don't know its effect over the long run.

That's an interesting knife as well Dunc. Are the extensions on each side of the handle quick-release activators?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 01:04:09 AM
After Scott O'Grady the USAF did look into a new survival knife.  One of the possible choices was the Knives of Alaska Brown Bear combo.
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalog/prod_display.aspx?from=Combination%20Sets&cat=Brown%20Combo

I have one of these.  A good general purpose camp knife combination.  I surprised the Airforce didn't choose it :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 09:52:54 AM

That's an interesting knife as well Dunc. Are the extensions on each side of the handle quick-release activators?

Yes , you have to press both together to release . Its very quick and easy and theres no way it can come loose while pulling G's in a fighter jet .

Dunc

Offline FredKJ

Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 05:47:42 PM
Well the steam and votive candle wax job worked very well.  Perhaps a spoon was not the best for boning but worked ok.  I was seeing what I could do field expedient with what I could scavange.  The steam really heats the wax and works it into the leather.  It all worked pretty good.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 08:18:11 PM
Now we need pics    :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31