Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pay more for less, would you?

jzmtl · 35 · 2936

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Pay more for less, would you?
Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 10:30:35 PM
Thank you for understanding.   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline sappyg

Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 02:11:44 AM
back on topic......... i like neither the SAK or GAK soldier models. to me they are too big and too... too..... tacticle. a soldier may find himslef well healed with these things but i think they are too big to EDC for an avarage person like myself....... glad i got that off my chest.
were i to choose between the 2 i would choose the OHT and take the $12.00 savings and buy a box of 5.56 Q3131

slightlty off topic... or not.... i went in search of a black rifle about 1 1/2 years ago. i had the intention of getting an AK variant. every time i see one of those POSs i wence. eventually got an AR and paid over twice as much as i had intended. i got arguably better engineering and no dought better manufacturing..... WAY better! neither manufacturer supplies current governments and are not millitary issue AFAIK. it came down to value.

the OP is considering like design and manufacture from the same manufacture. i go with the OHT and consider myself better equiped than the SA.
i

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 02:56:09 AM
back on topic......... i like neither the SAK or GAK soldier models. to me they are too big and too... too..... tacticle. a soldier may find himslef well healed with these things but i think they are too big to EDC for an avarage person like myself....... glad i got that off my chest.

I agree they're too big and heavy to carry loose in a front pocket.

However, I EDC a OH-GAK vertically in my back pocket and find it quite comfortable.

Some people suspend their OHTs from belt lanyards for front pocket carry.

If you can find a comfortable method of carry that suits you, then you might like these bigger SAKs.

IMHO, EDCing a OHT takes you to a higher level of capability and preparedness when compared to a 'regular' SAK.

These days when I carry my Tinker or Mechanic I feel kind of under equipped.

N

Offline sappyg

Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 04:58:59 AM
i take your point ringzero..... i do.... for the past 20 years i thought the tinker was the SAK to have and still think it one of the best urban use SAKs.
having said that, we are all looking for a better solution. i will probably wind up with an OHT but i dought that i EDc one. i have other knives this size but i just don't EDC them. they work great for gutting deer but i don't do that often (ok... i suck as a hunter). on second thought they are not that big.
i think the new soldier has much to commend it. i think the SA made a good decission choosing it but, i'm not in the SA and i do not have the same needs. actually, it looks like a tinker on steriods and that's not a bad thing.... i like the saw. this new soldier is a modern rendition of current needs that have passed me by. i can get by with a pioneer. i just hate having to grind off that appendage loop for a keyring/ lanyard.
i still maintain the OHT is the choice i would make above the soldier given the OPs question. for what they both represent the OHT brings more value to the table. it's not whether i would spend more for less...... rather, would i spend less for more? yes... i prefer that and we both agree.
i will have an OHT one day. maybe not a new SAK though.  :cheers:
i

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 08:01:01 AM
i take your point ringzero..... i do.... for the past 20 years i thought the tinker was the SAK to have and still think it one of the best urban use SAKs.

I EDCed a Tinker for 20+ years.  Like you, I thought the Tinker was the best thing Victorinox ever made, really the ultimate SAK for EDC.

When I first got the OH-GAK I thought it too bulky for EDC, and intended to carry it only on outdoor adventures.

Once I figured out how to carry the OH-GAK securely and comfortably in a back pocket I started EDCing it.

Nowdays I EDC the OH-GAK about half the time.  When not EDCing the OH-GAK, a Tinker or Mechanic gets carried.

In addition to OHT having the woodsaw available, I greatly appreciate having its bigger, tougher, locking prybar/screwdriver/bottleopener implement.

If you try the OHT, you might come to like it for urban EDC.

OHT is definitely great for outdoors use.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD